Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need A Good Garage.
Quote:And I wouldn't do it without a spring compressor... guys lose their chins thinking they can do it without.

I seen almost go threw the roof...can cause some serious damage if not done safe. If you got the spring compressore from Princess Auto for $20 witch I got you will be fine..
If i end up doing it myself I will get a spring compressor without a dought.
to remove the spring from a strut, you don't need a spring compressor. You will need a air or electric impact.

I find grass works best, you lay it down and take the nut off. Not as bad as you would think. although I would NEVER hold vertically and try this..that would not be good.

but I do it all the time. If not on grass just put the bottom of the strut against the tire..laying down again, and put your foot on the spring, take the nut off and it will "pop" but won't go all over.

And to put the new springs on you generally don't need the compressor unless you are putting stock springs on.
take it somewere that will align when your done cause your gonna need it....280 buks for install and 4 wheel align would be a "fair" price....I like it when the bolts seize for some one else and they have that problem....

I can do this in my shop...I just would not bother cause I would have to take it to a shop for an alignment anyways...

work some overtime and let someone else have the problem

my 2 cents
CD silver 03zx5,wings west type w, hella projectors,painted SVt upper grill, Grillcraft lower grill,clear corners,clear upper brake light, team dynamic 15 spoke x 17" rims,Kumho 712's 215/40,pacesetter header,magnaflow cat back,FC 65mm tb,RactiveCAI,MSD dis2 ignition,Tayler Vertex wires,SHM udp,Ractive upper strut tower brace,FK hitec suspension with springs/dampers-35/40 drop,Eibach front/rear anti sway bars,Steeda short throw shifter,Momo race air leather knob and e-brake handle,custom fiberglass upper dash with AC el -glow oil pressure/volt gauges,el-glow face gauges
Jays2000ZX3,Nov 25 2004, 04:09 PM Wrote:Yeah, spring time is fine with me. :) (Get the pun?) Cold right now. :D But that wouldn't be a problem.
[right][snapback]71552[/snapback][/right]

Looking forward to it.

Let's do a BBQ Andrew!

I'll bring the ribeyes!
thabrat,Nov 26 2004, 12:38 AM Wrote:
Quote:And I wouldn't do it without a spring compressor... guys lose their chins thinking they can do it without.

I seen almost go threw the roof...can cause some serious damage if not done safe. If you got the spring compressore from Princess Auto for $20 witch I got you will be fine..
[right][snapback]71609[/snapback][/right]

Bluetoy and I did my suspension without a spring compressor... no problem. at 270lbs, I had little trouble compressing the spring to put it back on...and they're no where near compressed enough hurt you when you undo that topnut.

I'm only saying this because it's something I've done 1st hand.. I don't recommend flyweights trying it, and recommend a spring compressor nonetheless, but if you're doing it on a budget, or you're less than impressed than the rent-a-compressor from crappy tire, there's nothing to worry about.

and when I say 'bluetoy and I', I mean mostly blue toy... I greased parts, and compressed that one strut.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!