Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Options To Keep Vortech Warm In The Winter
2001 ZTS,Sep 30 2004, 06:50 PM Wrote:
darkpuppet,Sep 30 2004, 06:34 PM Wrote:haha.. a 'typical' car block heater consumes 600 watts :o ... um, how long would a marine battery last?
P=VI

600W=12V*X

X=50A

The biggest deep cycle Crappy Tire sells is 103 Amp-hours. It will work for two hours in your case. Not looking good Steve. soory to get your hopes up.
yeah, I figured in another 10% loss if I used an inverter instead of trying to fire the block heater directly from DC current... and 130Ah batteries are really 'spensive!
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

Flofocus,Sep 30 2004, 07:06 PM Wrote:http://www.trader.ca/Search/Details.asp?mk...category=&CAT=1
link's coming up blank.

You suck at the internet:

http://nerace.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=...gory_Code=MOR-O

Scroll about 1/4 to 1/3 the way down. Internal and external heaters.
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
darkpuppet,Sep 30 2004, 03:10 PM Wrote:
Flofocus,Sep 30 2004, 07:06 PM Wrote:http://www.trader.ca/Search/Details.asp?mk...category=&CAT=1
link's coming up blank.
hmmm....worked when I tested it.

Its a 1988 Mazda 323 GTX AWD. Good for a little winter fun! ;)

I know you dont want to go the 2nd car route, but its proved to me that having 2 cars is really helpful. Especially when you have to run to Canadian Tire and your dash is on the ground. Right BerinG? :lol:

EDIT: This is also coming from somebody that has enuff room in his driveway to park 12 cars for Free. So I understand where your coming from having to pay extra for the extra parking spot. If you dont have to, then why do it...
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
2001 ZTS,Sep 30 2004, 07:20 PM Wrote:You suck at the internet:

http://nerace.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=...gory_Code=MOR-O

Scroll about 1/4 to 1/3 the way down. Internal and external heaters.
cool stuff... still, powering them would still be an issue... wonder if, with 1,000 watts worth of heating pad and whatnot, you could warm up the oil in the 15 minutes the battery would last :P

have you consider the couple hour involved in bypassing the vortech for winter and running NA? just remove the charger and plug the feed and return lines? with your software you can flash the stock tune.

its your best option.

truely,

-Marc
------------------------------------------------
-1991 Nissan Pulsar GTI-R
-2002 Red SVT focus # 2262 - sold
-2000 silver ZX3 - sold
french_connection,Sep 30 2004, 07:39 PM Wrote:have you consider the couple hour involved in bypassing the vortech for winter and running NA? just remove the charger and plug the feed and return lines? with your software you can flash the stock tune.

its your best option.

truely,

-Marc
For the parts I'd have to rig up, I've considered it.. still..would rather avoid that unpleasantry if I can.

Hell, the feedlines and whatnot are all there pretty much, nothing stopping me from just converting to turbo... turbos don't freeze do they?

darkpuppet,Sep 30 2004, 03:46 PM Wrote:
french_connection,Sep 30 2004, 07:39 PM Wrote:have you consider the couple hour involved in bypassing the vortech for winter and running NA?  just remove the charger and plug the feed and return lines? with your software you can flash the stock tune.

its your best option.

truely,

-Marc
For the parts I'd have to rig up, I've considered it.. still..would rather avoid that unpleasantry if I can.

Hell, the feedlines and whatnot are all there pretty much, nothing stopping me from just converting to turbo... turbos don't freeze do they?
But then your looking at new piping (probably custom), a new header (again, custom), re-tuning, downpipe, lots of nuts and bolts....

Doesnt seem very logical for all the hardware that is currently under the hood.
A gas powered generator in the hatch plumbed to your gas tank, running a heater under the hood? You could have a chimney puffing smoke out of your sunroof :)
Get a bumber hitch and tow around an auxilliary power unit like they use at the airport to keep jet liners warmed up.

I say store the car at your parent's in T-Bay and get a 10 year old Legacy for a couple grand.
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
2001 ZTS,Sep 30 2004, 08:59 PM Wrote:Get a bumber hitch and tow around an auxilliary power unit like they use at the airport to keep jet liners warmed up.

I say store the car at your parent's in T-Bay and get a 10 year old Legacy for a couple grand.
haha..yeah, a little honda whisper quiet generator the hotdog vendors use for lights and the radio...

Storing the car in Thunder Bay would be harsher on the car... a second car may be required... only problem is finding one for less money than I want to spend, which right about now, is none.

christ, Tuner Transformation was that innocuous little wound, barely just a scratch in my wallet that, 6 months later, is still hemorraging.

ahh your thinking too much. just drive it. I bet it would be ok. everyone here worries too much.
SVT Motor Swap into 2000 zx3 with 5spd.
14.9 @ 93MPH
"I am going to run 5's .... I am planning on installing a rocket engine!"
Did a little search and came up with these...

Vortech's can't handle cold weather

Another site...

So the 2nd link says the combination of synthetic oil and a block heater will work fine. Now it looks like thats just an opinion rather than a fact.

The first link says the oil must be warmer than 32F before it reaches the supercharger or it will eventually break a drive gear. This also depends on the model of the blower...

Just tryin to help ya out man...
very interesting... I need to give vortech a call.. in meetings all day tomorrow, so maybe won't have a chance until Monday...

even if I need to swap out for a noisier supercharger (though I'd like the same amount of boost), I would do it to save the time, effort, and embarrasment of having a seasonal supercharger.

Just drive it all winter long.... nothing will happen.... you guys are such pansies sometimes.
CARELESSmtrsprts,Oct 1 2004, 04:00 AM Wrote:Just drive it all winter long.... nothing will happen.... you guys are such pansies sometimes.
:lol:

Obviously you havent been around to hear about some of his issues already with that Vortech.

If I was Steve and read that, I'd be just as worried.
french_connection,Sep 30 2004, 03:39 PM Wrote:have you consider the couple hour involved in bypassing the vortech for winter and running NA? just remove the charger and plug the feed and return lines? with your software you can flash the stock tune.

its your best option.

truely,

-Marc
this is the only option that sounds workable. But why can my bud's MINI drive all winter and not have a problem with his SC. And what about the Lightning and Cobra and Merc Kompressor, and..... Ah, just beat the s**t out of it this winter and if you have to, get a newer, better one in the spring. B)
Old enough to know me limit, yet young enough to exceed it.
the problem apparently is in the drive gears... the oil feed line 'mists' oil into the fine-mesh gearing.. if the oil is too thick, doesn't mist, the gears run dry, and snap on the stiff-frozen driveshaft...

and all to make the supercharger quiet. I'm not going to beat on it this winter, because I don't need to find out what other people are reporting.. that the supercharger breaks. If you guys want to pony up for the replacement ahead of time, I'll be more than glad to give it a go for the sake of experimentation.

There's too much evidence of these things breaking in 32F weather.. never mind the -20C's of canadian weather.

I've already had to tow the car 3 times this summer because of things that 'shoulda' worked... and that's when even the theoretical proof leans in the positive direction. I won't take any 'experts' words on s**t anymore until they can physically prove their points. I'm sick and tired of being other people's guinea pig.

p.s. that's why I give props to p-51.. dude does stuff, it works, and he proves it on his own equipment. Other tuner shops, experts in the field are no where near as successful with their 'theories', and it's permanently jaded me.

word bro, I think exactly the same, its your car, you do it, you deceide, dont listen to others, like others do anything anyway.......

;)

just remove the damn thing is my true opinion, but its just an opinion, like 455 everyone has one....
------------------------------------------------
-1991 Nissan Pulsar GTI-R
-2002 Red SVT focus # 2262 - sold
-2000 silver ZX3 - sold
french_connection,Oct 1 2004, 02:40 PM Wrote:word bro, I think exactly the same, its your car, you do it, you deceide, dont listen to others, like others do anything anyway.......

;)

just remove the damn thing is my true opinion, but its just an opinion, like 455 everyone has one....
Ah, man, I totally agree... it's the best option so far.. but to me, even that's just not enough... it's a darily driver, and it must remain that way (in my eyes)

I appreciate what everyone's saying... just need to see what the vortech and TT gus say..

anyone free end of oct.. to do the swap??