Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modified Vehicle Insurance Debate
a little over $900 a year for my SVT.
'03 Focus SVT
ZTWsquared,Oct 3 2007, 01:17 AM Wrote:marketing does not a racing tire make - forget marketing - go with what's on the tire.
[right][snapback]250090[/snapback][/right]

yes i agree completely. i am fully aware that the tires on my vehicle are street tires, and are safe and legal for street use. however they are 225/50/16 instead of the stock 205/55/16.

what i'm saying is that under this new law the insurance co could use the marketing literature and increase in contact patch size as 'proof' that i made a modification and deny me coverage, which i think is completely unreasonable
that would indeed be unreasonable ... the part of what you quoted that I was thinking about was the part about being "designed and normally used for racing" (as opposed to the extra wide tread) - maybe I'm grasping at straws but I think that by definition any tire rated and sold as a street tire, and labelled on the sidewall as such, wouldn't count as a modification for the purpose of this legislation.

Conversely one could argue that a tire designed and normally used for racing, but installed in the stock size, could be deemed to be an unsafe modification.

naz,Oct 9 2007, 02:03 PM Wrote:
ZTWsquared,Oct 3 2007, 01:17 AM Wrote:marketing does not a racing tire make - forget marketing - go with what's on the tire.
[right][snapback]250090[/snapback][/right]

yes i agree completely. i am fully aware that the tires on my vehicle are street tires, and are safe and legal for street use. however they are 225/50/16 instead of the stock 205/55/16.

what i'm saying is that under this new law the insurance co could use the marketing literature and increase in contact patch size as 'proof' that i made a modification and deny me coverage, which i think is completely unreasonable
[right][snapback]250508[/snapback][/right]
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
the more i think about this.. the hassle of having even a slightly modified car in toronto is just not worth it.. if i ever move back to canada it will be fast production car and r compounds in the stock size FTW ! :D