Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nintendo Wii
expect the Wii to be a lot less than the xbox 360. This thing will be aimed at budget game players.

Considering that less than 17% of US households are currently highdef equipped (expected to reach 59% by 2010), I think it's safe to say that putting all your eggs in the hidef basket is a poor marketing decision.

Games still need to be played on the existing 95% of TVs worldwide that aren't hi-def.

And if it takes 4 years to break the 50% mark in hi-def TV's (just in north america and Japan)... you have about 2 years left in the lifespan of the console anyways.

Hi-Def may be the next big thing, but it's (been) taking it's sweet ass time.

I don't think Nintendo's wrong for passing on hidef, and instead passing on the savings to the consumer.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

And finally, some final specs on the system were released... I for one won't mind the fact it won't have dvd playback as an option.

[Image: nintendo-wii.jpg]

http://www.gamespot.com/events/wiilaunch...ries;img;6 Wrote:WII Launch Date and MSRP: Nov. 19, 2006, in the Americas at an MSRP of $249.99.

Color: White.

Size: About 8.5 inches long, 6 inches wide and less than two inches thick (157mm x 215.4mm x 44mm).

Controls: "Up to four Wii Remote controllers can be connected at once using wireless Bluetooth technology. The wireless signal can be detected within 10 meters of the console. Both the Wii remote and Nunchuk controllers include a three-axis motion sensor. The Wii Remote controller also includes a speaker, rumble feature and expansion port, and can be used as a pointer within 5 meters of the screen. The Wii Remote controller has a power switch, plus pad, A, B, Minus, Home, 1 and 2 buttons. The Nunchuk controller includes an analog control stick and C and Z buttons."

The Look: "The Wii console features a compact design that...can be displayed either vertically or horizontally."

Media: "A single self-loading media bay will play single- or double-layered 12-centimeter optical discs for the Wii console, as well as 8-centimeter Nintendo GameCube discs."

Channels: "The Wii Channel Menu is the main gateway for a variety of...interactive multimedia, entertainment and communication functions."

Communication: "The Wii console can communicate with the Internet even when the power is turned off. The WiiConnect24 service [content and game updates] even if the system is idle. Users can connect wirelessly using IEEE 802.11, or with a USB 2.0 LAN adaptor. The Wii console also can communicate wirelessly with the Nintendo DS."

Virtual Console: "The Wii console will have downloadable access to 20 years of fan-favorite titles originally released for Nintendo 64, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) and the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES). The Virtual Console also will feature a 'best of' selection from Sega Genesis titles and games from the TurboGrafix 16 console. It also will be home to new games conceived by indie developers."

The Specs: "The Wii console has 512 megabytes of internal flash memory, two USB 2.0 ports and built-in Wi-Fi capability. A bay for an SD memory card will let players expand the internal flash memory. Design was optimized with state-of-the-art processing technologies that minimize power consumption, keep the console compact and enable the 'sleepless' WiiConnect24 mode."

CPU: "PowerPC CPU (code-named "Broadway") Made with a 90 nm SOI CMOS process, jointly developed with and manufactured by IBM."

Graphics Processing Unit: "Being developed with ATI."

Other Features: "Four ports for Nintendo GameCube controllers. Two slots for Nintendo GameCube memory cards. An AV Multi-output port for component, composite, or S-video."
'14 Escape 2.0t
2012 5dr Ti : Traded
These oddball sized media Nintendo has been using has really put a damper on game piracy I think.

I'd like it for the downloadable classic gameplay, but undoubtedly they wont be free. If there was some sort of nominal fee for a large library then it wouldnt be so bad, but with only 512mb of built in memory it sounds like it'll be a pain to use the classic games.

I think this is going to be one of those love it or hate it systems..
guilty,Sep 30 2006, 04:08 PM Wrote:These oddball sized media Nintendo has been using has really put a damper on game piracy I think. 

I'd like it for the downloadable classic gameplay, but undoubtedly they wont be free.  If there was some sort of nominal fee for a large library then it wouldnt be so bad, but with only 512mb of built in memory it sounds like it'll be a pain to use the classic games.

I think this is going to be one of those love it or hate it systems..
[right][snapback]209508[/snapback][/right]

That's the way Nintendo's always been, sort of like Ford :P

The reasoning for such low/cheap memory is for the lowest power consumption while the system is on standby all the time, and it's still upgradeable (thank god) so i'll be sure to throw a one or two gig sd card in there not long after getting it.
'14 Escape 2.0t
Is it just me but, I think that System is pretty cool...

Is it just me?
2000 Ford Focus Roush Turbo & 2004 Focus sedan
I dunno.. to be honest, from what I've read.. sure, they have novel technology, but to me, it seems they're still running a very similar processor to the gamecubes.

We know that the revolution's processor runs at 729MHz, while the cube's ran at 485MHz... It's probably a slightly updated core, but there won't be that many changes considering they're running 50% faster with %20 less energy consumption.

So I think it's also safe to say, they won't be running a much newer graphics processor than the gamecube's either as they've still got that energy consumption cap, and added bluetooth and WiFi.

Don't get me wrong, the gamecube was a great machine in the previous generation, in terms of processing performance, it probably outperformed the PS2 in most aspects... but is a 50% increase in performance coupled with a wavy wandy thing going to keep people plugged in to the console for 5 years?

I'm still skeptical... I don't have much intention on getting one, but at that price, so long as you don't tell people it's basically a mildly updated gamecube, I'm sure it's going to sell.

We stood in line to get one for my friend's roommate, and it's a pretty cool system. I played Redsteel and the controls are pretty awesome.. a bit of an adjustment from a standard controller but it gives the whole experience a little extra.

Only thing is the graphics really aren't that impressive for the "next-gen" consoles. I know it's not a $500-600 huge graphics processor system, but it just doesn't wow you. I guess they'll make up for it by making cheaper games, more fun games, etc. Redsteel really reminds you of 007 for the N64 though..
The thing that could kill the Wii is if the purchasing numbers don't keep up.

Developers can't port games to the Wii, so the number of consoles sold has to support it's own development infrastructure.

Sure, it's more expensive developing for the PS3 and Xbox360, but game assets are easily transferred between the two.

This next gen race is gonna be interesting. I'll be interested to see how it all plays out.

you have the two similarily architected monsters vs the easy-to-develop-for-because-you've-already-done-it-before budget machine.

If I had a cottage, I'd definitely buy a Wii for those rainy days....

Yeah, I managed to get one with my preorder on launch yesterday, excellent overall value for the system. Playing RedSteel mostly and the odd WiiSports game to take a game 'break'. The controls are incredible, assuming you have patience for each game's control learning curve.
'14 Escape 2.0t