Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Progress With Hatch Install
habmann,May 4 2006, 11:26 PM Wrote:Looks good so far.

Are you gonna leave the battery exposed like that?
[right][snapback]185420[/snapback][/right]

Nope, there will be a 2nd floor made of 1/8th carpeted hardboard and plexi windows over the battery, cap, main fuse holder and distribution. everything gets carpeted though that you can see threough the plexi.

This is going to all be bolted together as well. When complete it will have to be removed in a certain order or else it won't budge. If someone manages to get around the alarm, my neighbors, and has the right tools, he still won't get anything aside from the sub. The amps are bolted from behind and are impossible to free from the walls without first removing everything else.

Best part is, because I used marine grade plywood, everything is extremely light. I can lift the enclosure with one finger, and all the panels making up the trunk weigh less than my current MDF sub box does on it's own.
Luke.

2002 Malibu Blue ZX5 "Malibloo" RIP 2006 Sad
2003 Liquid Grey ZX3 "Tarmac" Eurofried Rice

Tarmac.
Honkeytonk Monkey,May 4 2006, 09:23 PM Wrote:
habmann,May 4 2006, 11:26 PM Wrote:Looks good so far.

Are you gonna leave the battery exposed like that?
[right][snapback]185420[/snapback][/right]

Nope, there will be a 2nd floor made of 1/8th carpeted hardboard and plexi windows over the battery, cap, main fuse holder and distribution. everything gets carpeted though that you can see threough the plexi.

This is going to all be bolted together as well. When complete it will have to be removed in a certain order or else it won't budge. If someone manages to get around the alarm, my neighbors, and has the right tools, he still won't get anything aside from the sub. The amps are bolted from behind and are impossible to free from the walls without first removing everything else.

Best part is, because I used marine grade plywood, everything is extremely light. I can lift the enclosure with one finger, and all the panels making up the trunk weigh less than my current MDF sub box does on it's own.
[right][snapback]185441[/snapback][/right]

Thats gonna be a sweet setup when its done. I wish i had the time to do something like that in my car.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

is that type of wood good for an enclosure?
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
nass,May 4 2006, 09:44 PM Wrote:is that type of wood good for an enclosure?
[right][snapback]185471[/snapback][/right]

You would think it couldn't be solid enough, I agree.
'14 Escape 2.0t
2012 5dr Ti : Traded
Nice work Honkeytonk...

as for the battery...

My second battery install was incredibly ghetto... It was pinned between my tirewell amprack and the back of the tirewell.

Wasnt even bolted in. Didnt even move a CM. no matter how much i did to the car.
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
scoobasteve,May 5 2006, 04:51 PM Wrote:Nice work Honkeytonk...

as for the battery...

My second battery install was incredibly ghetto... It was pinned between my tirewell amprack and the back of the tirewell.

Wasnt even bolted in. Didnt even move a CM. no matter how much i did to the car.
[right][snapback]185570[/snapback][/right]

as long as they can't see it you're alright!
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
Total weight? :blink:

I'm thinking that set up must weigh a few pounds no?
euro_zx5,May 5 2006, 04:47 PM Wrote:
nass,May 4 2006, 09:44 PM Wrote:is that type of wood good for an enclosure?
[right][snapback]185471[/snapback][/right]

You would think it couldn't be solid enough, I agree.
[right][snapback]185567[/snapback][/right]

I wouldn't recommend 1/8" hardboard for an enclosure if that's what you're getting at. It's too thin and it will flex even with bracing. Marine grade plywood however is the best material you can use for an enclosure assuming you're willing to pay for it (it's not cheap) It's extremely light, it has no flex in it whatsoever, and it's completely voidless just like MDF. The difference is that even without bracing it's much stiffer than MDF.

The shot is of the rough shell sitting on the bench. It's been braced with 3/4" marine grade plywood. It's not an enclosure in any case just a holder for the battery and the fuse blocks. The battery is clamped down securely with a large C section which is bolted right through the floor. I could roll the car 30 times and it would still be sitting there.

Luke.

Tarmac.
ANTHONYD,May 5 2006, 09:53 PM Wrote:Total weight? :blink:

I'm thinking that set up must weigh a few pounds no?
[right][snapback]185685[/snapback][/right]

battery under the hood is gone, just relocated back here, 46lbs of wiring, glass/plywood enclosure with sub weighs in at 52lbs, amp walls with amps are about 10lbs each and the rest of the stuff is made of one 4'x6' sheet of hard board, and some bracing made from the plywood, probably another 20lbs.

140lbs sounds about right. My first MDF box weighed over 140lbs on it's own thanks to being doubled up 3/4", all the bracing and my idea to use 2 gallons of industrial floor wax to seal it... overkill...
Luke.

Tarmac.
looks good luke, you have some skill.

you wanna help me redo my amp rack, nothing really major.
'03 Focus SVT
140+ pounds?

Hmm the weight of an average body...

I guess if the mafia can do it i guess so can you.
FocusGuy7476,May 5 2006, 11:15 PM Wrote:you wanna help me redo my amp rack, nothing really major.
[right][snapback]185734[/snapback][/right]

Anytime man, I have monday and tuesday off from work. You know where to find me :) How many amplifiers are you using? If it's just a sub amp we can even do something that will fold it up out of the way when you need trunk space. I have a spare piano hinge just sitting here from Jay's install.
Luke.

Tarmac.
ANTHONYD,May 6 2006, 01:28 AM Wrote:140+ pounds?

Hmm the weight of an average body...

I guess if the mafia can do it i guess so can you.
[right][snapback]185766[/snapback][/right]

I removed all the factory stuff back there, and the spare tire is gone as well so I'm not doing so badly as far as weight goes.
Luke.

Tarmac.
The tweeters are going to get thier own pods up on the dash, aimed up and forward at a point just under the rear view mirror. Defection off the windshield forward will cause the sound to seem to come from a point in front of the car.
[Image: picture.JPG]

I had to change my initial kickpanel design. With the neo8 on the bottom at the angle it has to be mounted, the kicks would likely be torn off when exiting the car. By putting them up top, I will also avoid the whole dead pedal mishap... I hope...

Here where my foot would land if I only used the left half of the pedal

and how I normally clutch

So everything is aimed at a at the center of the car between the headrests except the tweeters which will bring the stage up and forward. Can't wait to get this s*** finished.

And another ass shot...
Luke.

Tarmac.
I thought those kick-plates would be a bit large there. I was wondering if the clutch pedal was in the way or not. (wasn't sure if the car was auto-tragic or not)

Where are they going now?

Looks like It's going to be killer no matter what you do. Make sure you keep us updated.