Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zx3tuning Powerworks Gb
is there different types of pulleys for different boost levels or is there just one?

What will my max boost be after the upgrade?

will there be a cheaper price if I get it with the SC?

I will be gething the ford racing head just not sure if its going to be stock or if it's going to be modified from CFM a little more.

Will I have to tell powerworks about all the stuff I got for proper programing?

I got crower cams stage 2 w/cam gears should I keep them or put the stock ones back on??

sorry for all the questions just trying to get my money in place
B&G coilovers, Kamakazi headers,focus sport exhaust, 2.5 custom flex pipe, 18" oz rims, 65mm throtle body,ZX3 tuning custom cams,powerworks SC,spec 3 clutch,clutchnet 11lb flywheel,Eibach swaybar package,fs front lower stress bar,fs rear strees bar,svt big brake kit,quife diff,4.06 gears.(2012 plans FR head, 19lb boost & full engine rebuild) Good bye Escape hello 2012 focusBig Grin
the base kit produces 12psi on a stock focus with a stock exhaust
the boost drops as you remove restriction in the exhaust but you do not loose power. boost is just a number to measure the amount of restriction in a system.
with a full exhaust you will see about 10-11psi but about 5-10hp and lb/ft more.
with our cams we are seeing about 9psi but 250fwhp...

the BBK is designed to put you at about 15-17psi depending on mods.

the addition of a ported head will further drop the boost but increase the flow and power.

The BBK is a single pully on a PW snout.
there is a shop in the US working on a multi-pully BBK but i'd be worried about the stress on the three bolts used to hold the pully on.

the BBK is sold as a "tuner" kit and does not come with tuning. howver PW has used the stock PW tune with the BBK, it is not the best choice.
we suggest propper tuning with the use of a BBK.... just becarefull who you use for the tuning.

Crower2s would probably be a bad choice because of the large amount of overlap.
we have cams specifically design for the PW kit and are offering them at a discounted price with the purchase of a kit. $850 retail and $650 if purchased at the same time as a kit.
with a full exhaust, our cams, FR head and the base kit, you would probably more than happy for a long time. long enough to save for a built motor and BBK! :)

hope that answers your questions, if not, ask some more!
Will the PW kit work with a FC 65mm TB, or does it come with a BBK TB? Also, when PW states the power readings on the dyno, they indicate that they are using a FS Stealth exhaust, and the PW kit to get 220Hp. What I wanna know is, did they, or does ZX3tuning use 17" wheels when you dyno run your PW cars? Or use 15's, as I know this might generate larger figures.
Again, sorry for all the questions, but it's getting down to it that I wanna make a dent in my Line of credit for this thingy...lol

L8tr
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
what else would have to change in order to run the bbk?other than the head and studs.

so how much will everything cost?
SC+cams + tax +shipping=???

should I port the FR head more I should I just leave it alone? meaning how much more of a power gain will I get?
B&G coilovers, Kamakazi headers,focus sport exhaust, 2.5 custom flex pipe, 18" oz rims, 65mm throtle body,ZX3 tuning custom cams,powerworks SC,spec 3 clutch,clutchnet 11lb flywheel,Eibach swaybar package,fs front lower stress bar,fs rear strees bar,svt big brake kit,quife diff,4.06 gears.(2012 plans FR head, 19lb boost & full engine rebuild) Good bye Escape hello 2012 focusBig Grin
Drivesthebeast,May 23 2006, 08:21 AM Wrote:Will the PW kit work with a FC 65mm TB, or does it come with a BBK TB? Also, when PW states the power readings on the dyno, they indicate that they are using a FS Stealth exhaust, and the PW kit to get 220Hp.  What I wanna know is, did they, or does ZX3tuning use 17" wheels when you dyno run your PW cars? Or use 15's, as I know this might generate larger figures.
Again, sorry for all the questions, but it's getting down to it that I wanna make a dent in my Line of credit for this thingy...lol

L8tr
[right][snapback]188923[/snapback][/right]

Depending on the year, it is not hard to use the FC tb with the PW kit
my car is a 00 with 00 FC TB on the PW kit and it is direct bolt on.
if you have a 02.5+ TB, you can use the FC TB but you will need to notch the cable bracket near the EGR boss and you will need to extend the the OE TPS harness to retain the use of the 02.5+ TPS sensor.
if not you have to back date your throttle cable(supplied with the PW kit) to 00 spec to use the BBK TB supplied with the kit or a 00 FC TB if you choose.

Our cars had 17" wheels on them when dyno'ed.
this will not generate larger numbers. the only way to change the numbers with such a thing would be with larger or smaller tire to reduce or increase the rolling diameter of the combo over stock. even if it were to generate different numbers, the difference would be minimal and not beyond the difference between how the car would put down numbers on different runs anyways.
there is more of a varriation between different dyno's than there would be between a smaller or larger tire.
sweetg,May 23 2006, 08:44 AM Wrote:what else would have to change in order to run the bbk?other than the head and studs.

so how much will everything cost?
SC+cams + tax +shipping=???

should I port the FR head more I should I just leave it alone? meaning how much more of a power gain will I get?
[right][snapback]188927[/snapback][/right]

well, if there was a really good tuner in your area, i'd say you could run it on the stock engine. as i do not know of any decent tuners in Ontario let alone really good ones, i do not suggest running the BBK on the stock engine.

you could drop the compression with a SVT headgasket which would give you close to 9:1 comp. this swould be a boost friendly compression and not be too low for a roots blower. the worst thing you could do would be to drop your compression BELOW 9:1 on a roots application.
the head wouldn't make much difference nor would the studs, it's tuning and compression that are the issues you have to address for the BBK.

as for the total cost with cams, tax and Shipping, $4500cnd! :)

as for porting the FR head, there is no real need to do so. if you do anything have some chamber work done to unshroud the valves and remove any casting imperfections which could cause "hotspots".

I have an Extra SVT headgasket, i'd have to double check the price on it if you are interested...
How does the Tuning work?

Do we send our ECU to you or PowerWorks? How long is the turn around?

Bump for an awesome deal! I got a quote from the dealership for a JRSC with BBK for 3800 plus tax! **ouch**

Thanks Mitch!!

Alf

PS: Anyone in Ottawa running the Powerworks setup wanna take me for a drive?
tuning is pretty simple.
first step is to remove the ECU on thursday morning, drop it in the supplied FedEX overnight packet, and call Fedex ASAP for pickup and off to PW it goes! if you are near a major center and fedex is there before 3pm usually, you should have it back friday afternoon from PW. if you are outside a major center you may want to expect an extra day for the ECU.
if you do it like this, this gives you all weekend to work on install so you do not need to rush. and one weekend with you, a buddy and a couple of beers is more than enough time to install one of these kits! :)

Also, just a note, at these prices they are selling very quickly and in the almost 2 weeks PW has sold half of it's stock and selling more kits every day. If you are thinking about this deal, act fast or it will pass you by and you will be looking at the full retail price again!
BBK sounds sexy.
THE FOCUS IS GONE! THE LEGEND IS DEAD!

but hey, im still around.....
the FS tune will not work with the BBK so i would put that out of your mind right now. to run the BBK safely your only real option is custom "on dyno" tuning by a professional. mailorder tunes with 15psi have a high percentage chance of being way to mild or scattering your internals across the road behind you...

as for the numbers with the BBK, depends on the dyno, who does the tuning on the 94oct.
anywhere from 250-270...?

that is a guess, btw.

Lorne,
if i were you, just get the base kit and play with that for a while and get some seat time at the AutoX under your belt to get your driving skills up to par. at the same time learn the car and how to drive it. before you look into a BBK i would suggest you look into a clutch and Flywheel along with a LSD.
I hate to say it but i think you are a little to young and not mature enough to handle 250+fwhp out of a FWD car at this point... i was weary about selling you a base kit as i have this nagging feeling you'll be posting about how you wrote off your car a few weeks after install! :D :P
ZX3TUNING,May 30 2006, 02:54 AM Wrote:the FS tune will not work with the BBK so i would put that out of your mind right now. to run the BBK safely your only real option is custom "on dyno" tuning by a professional. mailorder tunes with 15psi have a high percentage chance of being way to mild or scattering your internals across the road behind you...

as for the numbers with the BBK, depends on the dyno, who does the tuning on the 94oct.
anywhere from 250-270...?

that is a guess, btw.

Lorne,
if i were you, just get the base kit and play with that for a while and get some seat time at the AutoX under your belt to get your driving skills up to par. at the same time learn the car and how to drive it. before you look into a BBK i would suggest you look into a clutch and Flywheel along with a LSD.
I hate to say it but i think you are a little to young and not mature enough to handle 250+fwhp out of a FWD car at this point... i was weary about selling you a base kit as i have this nagging feeling you'll be posting about how you wrote off your car a few weeks after install!  :D  :P
[right][snapback]190310[/snapback][/right]

hey, how opld do you thik I am? literally, a guess :)\

no cheating by looking at my profile on msn, a clear guess.

I don't guess at things in life I research them

Your Bday =22 October 1984 :D
2005 Liquid Grey ZX3 RIP
http://members.cardomain.com/phantom66
Mods so far : Mazda 3 Wiper Arm, Shorty Antenna, Alpine CDA-9887 HU, 17" Enkei Evo6 Hyper Black Nexen N3000 215/45/17
2010 World Rally Blue Subaru Impreza WRX STi
I guess you didnt get why I was asking.

what he said to me he should have either kept to himself, or sent it in a pm, not for everyone in the community to read. I think he is only about 4-5 years older than me (not sure of his age, just guessing) sorry if you may have a bit more experience in cars than me, but you willing to say that to everyone tells me a lot about you.

dont be offended if I dont use your services in the future

(see now that was something that should have been said in pm as well)

does the blower or can it, eliminate the egr system?? im sure its jsut one change in the flash they put on the computer. would they be able to eliminate the rear O2 sensor also?

do the cams require adjustable gears to reach the stated numbers or would adjustable gears add to the power potential with a good tune?
'05 Grand Cherokee LTD Hemi

'02 black ZX5 ****currently on jack stands my parents garage missing a transmission****
--FC/OBX 4-2-1 Race Header--FS Flex--MBRP catback exhaust--AEM CAI--Brembo Brakes with Hawk HPS pads--Toucan(ractive) 9mm Plug wires--FC Plug wire cover--Polished aluminum Ractive Strut Bar
Not installed: FK 60/40 Springs
ZX5focused,Jun 1 2006, 05:46 PM Wrote:does the blower or can it, eliminate the egr system?? im sure its jsut one change in the flash they put on the computer.  would they be able to eliminate the rear O2 sensor also?

do the cams require adjustable gears to reach the stated numbers or would adjustable gears add to the power potential with a good tune?
[right][snapback]190948[/snapback][/right]

yes, you can eliminate the EGR system on these kits, you would need to make a block-off plate and remove the tubing plus plug the hole in the header. you would also need to make an adjustment to the tune to keep the CEL from coming on.
the rear O2 can also be elminiated with a tune aswell.

HOWEVER, PW is not able to make these changes to the flash they have for the ECU. due to contract stipulations with Ford, PW is only allowed to provide OE-like calibration retaining all factory safety and emmission presets and equipement.
You would have to get a mailorder tune or have the car custom tuned to eliminate these features.

The cams do not "require" adjustable cam gears, no cams do. HOWEVER, to run aftermarket cams without them is not the smartest idea s you will have no idea where they are set to and it makes it far more difficult to adjust them.

Lorne,
that's up to you.
good luck with your build. B)
So, one more question for ya...how does the PW S/C like our Canadian winters? I know that DP has to be more carefull with his Vortech, as in..he has to add a little anti-freeze to the cooler, he has to always let the car warm up (even in summer) and have it plugged into his block heater, and I think he runs thicker oil too in the winter.

If this thing has longevity, and the engine will last on it, I think I'm gonna come aboard...
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
there are no problems
you have to remember the R&D for the kit was done just across the boarder in Michigan. Purrybonker who lives in calgary and can be found on Calgaryfocus.com had his all last winter with no issues.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO RUN THICKER OIL!
that is a STUPID idea, btw!
thicker oil becomes even thicker in the cold.
heavy weight oil turns to honey in cold temps which means it flows like crap and you do not get any lube to your bearings.

anyone who puts "thicker" oil into a car in the winter, i hate to say it, is an absolute moron! might as well run the car without oil untill it starts to warm up!
Stupid, stupid idea!
don't believe me, go buy 1L of 5w30 1L of 15w40 and 1L of 20w50
stick it in the freezer for one hour and then try and pour them back into the bottle... which one flows better?

with any form of boost it is a good idea to let the car warm up before you start to drive it or at the very least before you get on boost.
while you should stay away from extended idle periods, waiting till the car is starting warm up is a good idea
block heaters in the winter are also a good idea
oil heaters in the winter are also a good idea.

not just on boosted cars but any cars.
they are not needed but any way you can keep the oil warm and fluid and the coolant warm is nothing but good for any engine!