Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Us Kids: To Fat For Car Seats
nass,Apr 3 2006, 04:44 PM Wrote:yes they do attempt at healthy food options. But just cause it's a salad doesn't mean it's healthy. At one point they had salads with more fat then the burgers.
because that was the only salad people would eat.. they had very healthy salads that nobody would buy...

Quote:Bars are in the business of selling alcohol. They have to cut people off when they've had too much. It is irresponsible for a corporation to turn a blind eye if their product is causing harm. Big tobacco was the exact same way until recently. The day will come when "big food" will be in the same boat. Ford can't sell a car that is dangerous at speeds over 100k and have them slap a sticker on the car that says so. I know enforcing this sort of thing is near impossible cause there are sensitive fat people out there but you have to draw the line somewhere.
Mc Donald's doesn't say their product is safe, only that it can be part of a healthy lifestyle. They're trying to educate more people now, but people have to stop blaming Mc Donald's for all their woes. Mc Donald's had been around for decades before it 'became' a problem, and that problem is people's ignorance.

go ahead and regulate, 'big food', license people to be able to eat it, might as well get the government involved because people are too stupid to take care of themselves.

I guess bars should bar me for being fat, not becuase I'm drunk..it's their fault I'm fat, right? WRONG! It's their fault if they break the law. If I get fat or drink too much, it's my own fault. I'm the one putting the crap into my mouth.
Quote:yeah it's not solely the food industries fault but they are part of the problem. You have to resolve the problem at the source. Saying that people have to stop eating that food isn't really a solution, if these foods were not around as readily as they are now there would be no epidemic. The food industry parents and the government are all to blame for this and unless they all work together nothing will happen.
yeah, but that's the parent's fault, they should start taking an active role in their child's life. But people are just too freakin' lazy. Why make a meal when you can just buy it. but meals are too expensive, so let's serve cheaper processed food.. the problem propogates itself.

I had junk food available all the time when I was a kid, and I was guilty of sneaking to the corner store and buying a bag of chips, but the difference is that my parents did everything they could around me to make sure I was eating proper meals, and not just chips. parent's are no longer taking that active role.

but it's easier to blame the food companies, because we're too lazy to take our own responsibility.

Quote:true most parents have NO idea what a balanced diet is. They feed their kids junk and then wonder why they throw tantrums and have health issues. The sad thing here is though you have to search long and hard for fruits/veggies and meat that are not injected with growth hormones and sprayed with pesticides.

as for that movie I have seen one that was along the same lines it could very well be the one you're talking about. I remember in high school so many kids lived on fries/gravy and water with the occasional pizza slice and hamburger mixed in. Vending machines were everywhere. They have vending machines in grade schools now!  :unsure:
[right][snapback]178827[/snapback][/right]

it wasn't a movie, it was a TV series where Jamie Oliver took over the school kitchens of a dozen or so schools, swapped out all pre-processed crap and fed the kids, fresh, healthy food.

It was sad.. the kitchen ladies didn't even know how to slice veggies.. all they knew how to do was pour it out of a bag, and deep fry it.

It was sad that kids looked at that food and thought it looked ucky.. because they're parents serve them only deep fried crap as well.

It was sad that the parents always sided with their kids at first..

BUt Jamie cut off all processed foods, forced kids to try the food, and they all came around. And, sure it cost a couple pennies more, but in the year or so that they ran the program, school abscenses went down, grades went up, and visits to the doctors went down.

And the simpleton cooking ladies learned how to slice and cook a veggie, and the food looked better than anything even my mom ever made.

Anyways, the point is, sure, junkfood is more prevalent, but people have to take personal responsibility.

I swear when I have kids, they're gonna hate me.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

It's all about teaching your kids to eat everything in moderation.
When I was growing up, my mother hid everything from chips to chocolate away so it was away from us and we were not to have it. Well, guess what happened when i left the house and went to university? I didn't know how to handle all that crap food and I was like a fat kid in a candy store.
Now we have junk food in the house for all to eat. But the funny thing is, that learning to eat in moderation, the fruit tends to be the first thing that disappears in our house and the junk food sits for longer stretches uneaten.
Moderation to eating a variety of food is key.
The nutritionist I am seeing now has informed me that eating 6 times a day, not letting yourself get hungry is a key to weight loss and maintenance. Eating more small meals will keep the body burning energy and not storing it thinking that this might be the last meal for a while.
Also, eating a variety of foods is key. When the body gets used to the same foods, even the same food over twice a week, it tends to form patterns of dissapating the food and turning into fuel or fat.
Bottom line for us all. Eat what you want in moderation.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
Quote:But if you eat only one type of food all month you'd get the same.... only eat Italian food all month long 3x a day and lets see what happens.

Italian people eat Italian food all day, and they aren't automatically fat.

:blink:

There's a lot of good points in here. First, I can't believe I'm agreed with MeFord on something... :ph34r: But I also believe in "everything in moderation". My wife and I maintain our weight by eating whatever we want, but in reasonable portions. I have 1.5 scoops of ice cream, she has 1. Smaller pieces of pie. Smaller portions of pasta, salad, whatever.

Yeah, I'm about 10lbs overweight, but that's not too bad. It's largely because there's nothing to do in Windsor. My wife had a baby 3 months ago, and she's only 10lbs over her ideal weight right now. That's another HUGE problem. Pregnant women who "eat for two", and then sit around on the couch all day so as not to "strain" themselves. :rolleyes: The fact is, pregnant women only need 300 extra calories per day. That's 2 glasses of milk, or one small meal portion, or a chocolate bar.

While I don't believe kids should ever need beatings to stay thin :lol: that is a problem too. It is largely the parent's fault. And yes, the inability to disapline my kids does concern me. If my kid runs out onto the road, or something like that, I'm gonna want to spank him. But I can't...

And yes, a huge part of the problem is the way we live now. When I was a kid, my parents had a 50x150 lot when we were young, then we moved out to the country onto a 1 acre lot. Plus, we were out all day playing in the open lands within a 1 mile radius of the house.

The best I'm going to be able to do for my kid is probably a 32x125 foot lot. And it's not safe to let kids run free anymore...

This kinda feeds into what I believe the governments are leading to suffering with current housing policies. They let land developers charge rediculous prices for tiny lots. It's leading people to HAVE to live far from home to afford a place, meaning a hour commute, and all the associated pollution. And then the kids don't have anywhere to play. It's really bad...
P-51,Apr 3 2006, 07: Wrote:This kinda feeds into what I believe the governments are leading to suffering with current housing policies.  They let land developers charge rediculous prices for tiny lots.  It's leading people to HAVE to live far from home to afford a place, meaning a hour commute, and all the associated pollution.  And then the kids don't have anywhere to play.  It's really bad...
[right][snapback]178859[/snapback][/right]

There's more places to live and work other than Toronto. I live in the country with 1000's of acres of land around, trails, forests and even a park. I'm a 10 minute drive from downtown Ottawa and houses are still affordable. I'll never understand the need people have to be coralled into "subdivisions" Especially newer ones with signs at the main road with the name of the subdivision on it. No trees and lots of vinyl siding.

But of course this is about Mcdonalds forcing us to feed our kids big macs until they're too fat for their car seats.
[Image: 860doigiveadamn2yy.gif]

Prolly Is not a word
bluetoy,Apr 4 2006, 02:02 AM Wrote:
P-51,Apr 3 2006, 07: Wrote:This kinda feeds into what I believe the governments are leading to suffering with current housing policies.  They let land developers charge rediculous prices for tiny lots.  It's leading people to HAVE to live far from home to afford a place, meaning a hour commute, and all the associated pollution.  And then the kids don't have anywhere to play.  It's really bad...
[right][snapback]178859[/snapback][/right]

There's more places to live and work other than Toronto. I live in the country with 1000's of acres of land around, trails, forests and even a park. I'm a 10 minute drive from downtown Ottawa and houses are still affordable. I'll never understand the need people have to be coralled into "subdivisions" Especially newer ones with signs at the main road with the name of the subdivision on it. No trees and lots of vinyl siding.

But of course this is about Mcdonalds forcing us to feed our kids big macs until they're too fat for their car seats.
[right][snapback]178892[/snapback][/right]

Believe me, it's not what I *want*. I grew up in Manotick.

Unfortunately, several things must be realized:

I'm in a fairly specialized line of work, and pretty much have to work in TO if I want to work in Canada.

The prices in TO are rediculous. Just 1-4 acres of land is $260k, an hour out of TO.

That's the reality.

People don't have a need to be in suburbia, it's generally forced on us.
I didnt read everything but I think I saw Mcdonalds being compared to Smoking...

Totally not the same at all. No way.

Mcdonalds burgers are just calories, loads of them. Infact, if you look it up youll see that marathon runners usually eat these types of foods because nothing else gives them the fatty sit aroung your body calories as well as these foods do and made great tools for training.

Calories arent bad for you.... Large amounts of fat are, sure, but again, they can be burnt off easily. Everything else from the food there is negligable... Maybe the salt content is a tad high, but if you are in good health already it wont mean too much...

Either way.. its definetly not the Mcdonalds thats the problem, its the people. 100%. Mcdonalds is not doing anything bad by any means... but the people who step in there time and time again and then step out to their car then to their sofa are the ones at fault.

A healthy body can disgard of any waste you throw at it... Even Mcdonalds.
Dan, Your friendly neighbourhood asshole. Wink
I do installs and build FG stuff, pm me if you need help with anything. Im cheap.
OK I am not saying that the parents and the customers of fast food places are not to blame. What I am saying is *IF* a fast food joint makes their food addictive by means of ingredients they choose to put in their food then yes they are responsible how can you not say they aren't ( salt and sugar are both addictive and it's what you find most in their food). With that being said there are things you can do to help avoid becoming "fat" on this diet.

- This food is fatty and calorie laiden... that's a bunch of potential energy that your body should/could be using. But eat a double whopper with a supersized fry and drink then park your ass on the couch for the night is the worst. You have to get up and spend that energy you just put into your body.
- Chewing your food, as simple as it sounds it'll help your stomach enzymes break down the food more readily get the most out of the food and it's easier to digest.
- Multi vitamins especially B complex. Vitamin B helps your body breakdown and make more use out of carbs.

I guess I am just looking at this problem from a different perspective than most here. Will power and common sense has to prevail here and if you're over weight you have to take it upon yourself to rectify that, do what Meford is doing and have a professional tell you what to eat and stick to it. Good stuff capitano f***tard! :)
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending