Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gage Malfunction
I've been noticing that while driving sometimes my gages just swap to the max, down to zero and then back to normal. I just changed my alternator because i had a bad regulator, but the problem continues to come back..not as often like before. Does anybody have the same problem or maybe a clue to what it can be or what i can check? Thank you
Is anything resetting? Like your clock or your tripodometer (whatever its called)?
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Flofocus,Jan 29 2006, 07:16 PM Wrote:..Like your clock or your tripodometer (whatever its called)?
[right][snapback]167454[/snapback][/right]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Most cases I've heard of sweeping gauges suggest a charging system malfunction. So, you're on the right track.

Check to see if the battery cables are on the terminals tight and/or if there's any corrosion. If the shop replaced the alternator, make sure the cables/connectors are on nice and snug. Also, check electrical grounds too. Since the alternator went on you, it might be a sign your battery is dying (due to improper charging). Have your battery tested too.

Richard | Focused 24-7
2002 ZTS | Sangria Red | +400,000 km - most of it avoiding potholes 100km/h at a time

OFOC - Ontario Focus Owners Club | SVTOA-Toronto | Redline Rendezvous @ Mosport International Raceway
Also, check the length of cable from the alternator to the battery itself, and the main battery ground cable to the chassis for any cracks / breaks and corrosion as well. Faults with any of the major power delivery cables will cause you to have issues as you've discussed.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gage Wiring scoobasteve 3 1,075 08-06-2005, 11:49 PM
Last Post: scoobasteve