Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any One Bought These
I saw those at the mall one day. I looked at them long and hard, but Googled failures with that bulb company and there were TONS.

Apparently, according to one of the Foci sites I was on a while back, there are Sylvania Silverstars (crap) and Osram Sylvania Silverstars (much better).

One of my Silverstars popped after 10 months, the other was still going. I yanked them both and have had Eurolite H4s in for about 4-5 months now, maybe a bit less.

PIAA has a strong backing, but they're also twice the cost of the already pricey Sylvania Silverstars. That's like 120 CDN before taxes. Ouch.

It might be an idea to consider a HID upgrade kit or switch to one of the HID / projector sets mentioned above. Otherwise, get a medium-cost bulb that lists and is verified as "brighter" than stock.

I will agree that the stock bulbs blow goats.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
guilty,Jan 18 2006, 07:19 PM Wrote:Can anyone find a wattage number in that ebay auction?  I cant.  They make a big deal about saying how they're DOT approved, but that doesnt mean they are higher-than-stock wattage and will melt your wiring harnesses/headlight housings.

It's probably safe to say you really get what you pay for when you get the cheap aftermarket bulbs..
[right][snapback]165699[/snapback][/right]

they usually run at 1.21 gigawatts!

[Image: 20040615_giga_e.jpg]

... or at 65watts low beam abd 75+ for high beam. only reason they are brighter is cause they are a higher wattage.
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
nope
[center]TEAM PITA™ Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.[/center]
What's the price like on a HID upgrade kit VS the price of a HID/Projection set?
Dan
Kelowna_Focus,Jan 19 2006, 02:52 AM Wrote:What's the price like on a HID upgrade kit VS the price of a HID/Projection set?
[right][snapback]165791[/snapback][/right]

you can get the rebased bulb and ballast off ebay for as cheap as 250ish and yes you get what you pay for.

Mach HID lights from ford or someone for like 800.

Bulb ballast and HID lense for 500+
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
Most of those s***ty bulbs that make claims of greater output, don't, or some even have less output than stock.

The only way to get more power is with real overwattage bulbs, or with REAL Krypton filled bulbs. Hella is the only one I know making good ones, and http://www.rallylights.com is THE place to get them.

I'm running straight, no BS, 100W bulbs in both the highs and lows on my Hella quads. But I'm using a custom heavy duty wiring harness to do it.

On my WRX, I'm using the 9011 HIR bulbs to replace the stock 9005's in the high beams. HIR technology is another real, no BS technology that really works. Too bad it's only available for 9005's and 9006's.
P-51,Jan 21 2006, 09: Wrote:HIR technology is another real, no BS technology that really works.  Too bad it's only available for 9005's and 9006's.
[right][snapback]166195[/snapback][/right]
Yup ... that's what I've got on my Mystique ... the IR stands for Infrared (and not the paint)

This guy has forgotten more about automotive lighting than most people know ... and if you're concerned over proper lighting vs. style, he busts a lot of myths about the bulbs mentioned in this thread

Daniel Stern automotive lighting
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
Oh yeah, and PIAA sucks too. They just spend more on advertising than the other junky bulbs.