Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opinions... Teachers
I personally think that teachers should not be allowed to smoke on school property, even the school parking lot. they are sending the wrong message to the children that they teach and should be positive role models. This may sound dumb, but a lot of students look up to their teachers and want to be like them. We all have our favorite teacher/s that we looked up to and respected.
Natasha
my girlfriend just started teachers collage this year. And she quit smoking this past summer for this very reason. She didn't wanna have to lie to the kids in her class when they asked her if she smoked, and she didn't want to have to worry about being seen by her students while on break or before/after school.

i don't think teachers should be able to smoke on, or near school property untill they are teaching people that are legally able to smoke aswell
Below Average Car Club
The one teacher I looked up to was a coke head and sucked on the end of his rifle one night.

My Rolemodel. A cokehead with an eye for interior design.
Teachers are probably the most stressed-out people on the planet. I mean, my one math teacher in high school was such a saint, I was victimized for having a German last name and yet only a quarter of the blood. :rolleyes:

With that said, no, they shouldn't. My mother, a pretty heavy smoker much to my chagrin, NEVER smoked around the kids when she was a T.A. She went to great lengths to smoke away from them. Heck, both my parents smoke, yet they don't smoke in my car (so long as I stop every couple hours on roadtrips) and they don't smoke in my house.

Any teacher should have that much respect for the young minds that they mold so easily. We all know smoking isn't just a death sentence, but it's the express lane to a disgusting and pain-wracked life.

Heck, if we're all going to die anyways, why give yourself a head start?
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Poor habits should not be displayed next to childeren.

Period.
if that's the case then AnthonyD, there are many more poor example of what not to do all the time outside of the class room, such as parents doing drugs, drinking, etc,....... and the list could go on forever on this...

But reality is a teacher should be able to smoke, so long as they do it in a way that is not more or less out of view. Besides, I'm sure parents who smoke round their children could care less on this topic.

What really matters though is you should judge this person on how they do their job, their morals, and how well they treat their students, and not the fact they smoke or not.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
I am not saying that a teacher who smokes is a bad teacher. they just shouldn't be allowed to smoke near the children they are teaching, all school property. what they do in their own time is their business, as long as young children are not being subjected to it, Ie able to see it.

On a side note both of my parents smoked. they smoked for as long as I can remember. I remember, when I was around seven years old, throwing out a whole carton of cigarettes after watching the anti-smoking ad with the lady smoking from the hole in her neck. Got into a lot a trouble for that one, but I didn't want that to happen to my parents. To this date I am the only one in my family that doesn't smoke and has never tried.

Also, I agree that teachers have a stressful job, I am an Early childhood educator, but there are healthier alternatives for stress release than smoking that promote a positive message. some are exercising, walking, listening to music, talking a hot bath, going for a long walk.........the list goes on and on. to me using stress as a reason for smoking is an excuse, rather than a reason.
Natasha
Being a teacher is not the only stressful job out there, but it is around children, meaning that certain forms of stress relief should be kept out of view of children.

People (smokers especially) need to stop making excuses for their bad habbits. I don't make excuses for mine.

I compare teachers only to teachers and the responsibilities of their job. Just because other parents suck, doesn't mean that the teacher should fall to the lowest common denominator.... from what I've seen of parents out there, we rely on teachers a lot more than we think for raising kids properly (which is equally sad).

So unfortunately, I don't think there should be any loopholes for teachers... be the rolemodel you've chosen to be through your vocation.

[edit]on a side note, as a young kid, my parents smoked ALL the time... but us three boys were able to cajole our parents into quitting (what are your options if you have 3 toddlers complaining of how badly you stink?). [/edit]
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

^^ I wish Steve, I've been trying for years. It doesn't help that I'm the only one out of 3 boys who DOESN'T smoke.

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Frost__2001,Sep 12 2005, 10:19 AM Wrote:if that's the case then AnthonyD, there are many more poor example of what not to do all the time outside of the class room, such as parents doing drugs, drinking, etc,....... and the list could go on forever on this...

But reality is a teacher should be able to smoke, so long as they do it in a way that is not more or less out of view. Besides, I'm sure parents who smoke round their children could care less on this topic.

What really matters though is you should judge this person on how they do their job, their morals, and how well they treat their students, and not the fact they smoke or not.
[right][snapback]141181[/snapback][/right]

Teachers shouldn't smoke near students. (which is what I think you are saying as well)

Simple.

There really is no argument.

umm, in high school you weren't alowed to smoke on the highschool property, so why should teachers be able to?
2001 SE Sedan
gas mileage King of FocusCanada!

760.8km on 45L
^^ Good point... I remember I was a senior the year they finally cracked down and phased it out at my high school, which means all of York Board of Ed / Toronto Board of Ed. (WCI -1994).

Yet the teachers and staff still smoked on the property. Always thought that was a bit duplicitous.

Frost__2001,Sep 9 2005, 01:22 PM Wrote:It's her Right to smoke if she wants too, I mean yeah she could be under stress and such, but she dose have rights too. So as long as the teacher is going to the area where she is allowed to smoke, and following the rules set up by the school and such, there is nothing you can do, it is Her Right to smoke if she / he choose too.
[right][snapback]140451[/snapback][/right]

Agreed.
crazikev,Sep 12 2005, 03:19 PM Wrote:umm, in high school  you weren't alowed to smoke on the highschool property, so why should teachers be able to?
[right][snapback]141265[/snapback][/right]

You were when i went to HS.

But then again we didn't have bar seats for infants and what was a seat belt when i was 2?
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.