Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Much Did Your Gas Prices Jump Today?
removing the gas tax wouldn't relieve us, the drop in price would be negligible. And it would only force the government to find that income somewhere else (and not the magical money trees everyone seems to think are growing in the parliament courtyard).

Our oil reserves are equal to that of saudi arabia's. If we got our act together, we could be oil-independent. But big oil is greedy.. just look at alberta's $6-7billion surplus.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

IIRC, taxes on gas before the GST even are like 40% of the price.

Am I right?

EDIT - year after year, we have BILLIONS in surpluses that aren't always allocated to a certain cause / causes. Surely getting rid of ONE of the gas taxes would enable us to have a lower pump price.

Heck, we could follow the Americans who have done the right thing for once (in Hawaii) and cap the price of gas for 6 months at a set rate. Then revisit the rate in 6 months' time.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
even if the taxes made up the majority of the cost of gasoline, you're not fixing the root of the problem by reducing them. And that gastax money goes lost... and for what? to make people happy until the gas companies raise the prices even further? It just doesn't solve anything IMO.

you want to fix the problem, you have to go straight after the oil companies... not easy to go after Opec, but canada could be oil self-reliant, and should be leading the world in alternative fuel research.

Unfortunately, right now, oil companies have no competition... that's why they can ask for as much as they want for oil... and nothing you do to temporarily reduce costs is going to save us in the long run.

Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

prices in grimsby here were 98-99 early and are around 1.21 now expexcted 1.25 by days end
2005 ZX4 SOLD! ST; 1992 Mustang 5.0L S/C

[Image: lakemitchellsml.jpg][Image: burnout1sml.jpg]
hmmm, all the stations ive seen today...

in mississauga, Vic park/sheppard are at 1.049
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
What boggles my mind here is in provinces notorious for their gas prices... IE bc. they only got hit for 12 cents... theyre at 1.13 a litre. Still cheaper than us. and Montreal is only at 1.15.

Blarhhgggh.. We're being gouged again
05 Altima SE-R
Yup, I agree with Scooba and Puppet completely.

So, the government still needs to get off its ass and legislate a ceiling in that protects customers from extortion brought about by gas companies.

Nothing much will change there :rolleyes:
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
If any of you guys in TO are in the area of Eglinton W and Dufferin and are looking for gas there is a Shell on Marlee just north of Eglinton W still selling gas for 104.9 I don't know how long it will stay that way so hurry.

Laterz :)
1972 Austin Mini | 1989 Mini30 | 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS
The strange thing is, alot of stations only went up to 104.9. Like all the ones in mississauga were hovering between 92-97 last night and theyre only at 104.

The stations at VP/Sheppard were at 95 when i left work last night at 10pm...

Now theyre at 104.9 as well

Would they raise gas prices twice in a day Is a good question. my guess we'll be seeing 1.20 tomorrow though
05 Altima SE-R
How could they possibly justify raising the prices that high, i last filled up at 95cents and have never filled up at more than a dollar, but that looks like it is going to end. Somebody needs to assassinate all the people of opec
2001 SE Sedan
gas mileage King of FocusCanada!

760.8km on 45L
I am going out to price a smart car and trade in the truck. Fat guys rule
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
im thinking another World War, maybe in its totally destructive aftermath, maybe the prices would fall once its done. Thats pretty sad when they raise there prices so much that i would be in favour of WWIII.
2001 SE Sedan
gas mileage King of FocusCanada!

760.8km on 45L
IT'S A 1.30 HERE NOW :lol:

thanks katrina :rolleyes:
My Mom Says I'm Special
GO TEAM.... first 1.20 price in mississauga pops up on gasbuddy.
05 Altima SE-R
Funny thing is. Diesel is still at 94. gas is around 1.20.
[Image: 860doigiveadamn2yy.gif]

Prolly Is not a word
bluetoy,Aug 31 2005, 01:36 PM Wrote:Funny thing is. Diesel is still at 94. gas is around 1.20.
[right][snapback]137789[/snapback][/right]
EVERYONE HERE at work is rushing to the local gas station where it's still like a 1.14, everyone else is a 1.30 or 1.35 :lol:

My Mom Says I'm Special
bluetoy,Aug 31 2005, 12:36 PM Wrote:Funny thing is. Diesel is still at 94. gas is around 1.20.

My father was laughing at me today when i said it cost me $58.00 to fill up the focus and I'm expecting ot get a whopping 500Km's.

He's getting close to 1300km on his TDI :blink:

No wonder hes laughing at all of us. :lol:

[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
haha, i'm just gonna fill up every other night now so it doesnt make me cry.
05 Altima SE-R
Flofocus,Aug 31 2005, 02:02 PM Wrote:
bluetoy,Aug 31 2005, 12:36 PM Wrote:Funny thing is. Diesel is still at 94. gas is around 1.20.

My father was laughing at me today when i said it cost me $58.00 to fill up the focus and I'm expecting ot get a whopping 500Km's.

He's getting close to 1300km on his TDI :blink:

No wonder hes laughing at all of us. :lol:
[right][snapback]137800[/snapback][/right]

That's why my uncle doesn't drive his 04 dakota anymore :lol: He drives his 04 jetta tdi everywhere, i don't think the dakota moved in 3 weeks :lol: just sits there in the yard quietly with it's gas hungry v8 sittin under the hood :D
My Mom Says I'm Special
well i went from 105.2 to 125.9