Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zx3tunr Focus Probs. Update 08-12-05
^^-- in my case, they redid the extension of the MAF cable.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

darkpuppet,Aug 11 2005, 03:42 PM Wrote:^^-- in my case, they redid the extension of the MAF cable.
[right][snapback]131790[/snapback][/right]

That what Im trying to get to.....Wanna know if they changed his MAF cable. ;)
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
have you tried unplugging the DPFE sensor or smashing it with a hammer .. to make it inoperable ... maybe if you unplug it then let the car run for a few mins it might throw a CEL .. i'm gonna try this on my car shortly as i think my dpfe is done.

Did you actually return your exhaust to stock? if so could it be a plugged cat?
Below Average Car Club
Just an update. Good and bad news.

I ran both DPFE tests and they both passed so there fore my DPFE sensor is still good.
Any way I cleaned the MAF again plugged it back in and took it for a drive, Ran like absolute s**t and no CEL.

Came hope and I removed the harness from the MAF. (Idea from DP) and pretty much ran with no MAF. Took it for a nice drive and seriosly the car ran perfect except for the idle. No stumbling at all.

So me and my dad are pretty convinced my maf is burnt out or just facked or the wiring harness now like dp and flo mentioned.

What do you guys think?
ZX3TUNR,Aug 11 2005, 10:07 PM Wrote:Just an update. Good and bad news.

I ran both DPFE tests and they both passed so there fore my DPFE sensor is still good.
Any way I cleaned the MAF again plugged it back in and took it for a drive, Ran like absolute s**t and no CEL.

Came hope and I removed the harness from the MAF. (Idea from DP) and pretty much ran with no MAF.  Took it for a nice drive and seriosly the car ran perfect except for the idle. No stumbling at all.

So me and my dad are pretty convinced my maf is burnt out or just facked or the wiring harness now like dp and flo mentioned.

What do you guys think?
[right][snapback]131979[/snapback][/right]

I think the Acura RSX-S looks the best in charcol. :D
do you have a multimeter?

if so, take some resistance measurements of the pins against each other.

I don't have my multimeter back yet, so I can't take the measurements for comparison.. I can only tell ya if it looks right or not.

check the resistance of just the middle four wires.

chances are pretty good it's the maf over the harness ( you didn't cut, splice, overstretch or otherwise do ungodly things to it, did you?)

nope.

me and my dad both checked the harness and everything looked good. The wires were good and as far as modding it in any way I never touched it.

The CAI I did have on it never moved the MAF and since then I put the short ram back on and it ran perfect.

So if any one has a stock zetec maf please let me know. I would like to get one ASAP!
a stock maf can be had for about a hundred bucks.... well, that's what the boys at Rowland were able to get me (now they're closed).

oh yeah, when you install the new MAF, make sure you reset the ECU by unplugging the battery for a while (was it 11 seconds? or 11 minutes? probably seconds)... to reset the learned trims.

i always let it sit for about a 1/2 hour when i reset.

how long does it take the focus to relearn? I keep hearing different things.
15 minutes is pretty standard for letting the ECU reset itself.

Didn't you find an SVT MAF?? After we put are SVT MAF on, the car runs better. He still has the stock MAF but isn't willing to part with it yet.

Be careful when unplugging the MAF and jump to the conclusion that it's the MAF that is the problem. If your getting unmetered air into the engine, from say a vacuum leak or before the throttle if it isn't on properly, air can sneak in at these points and it won't be read by the mass air meter. When you unplus the MAF, the ECU detects that and goes into a back up program and could mask the unmetered air and give you the results of your car working properly.

Where the air flows through the MAF, the air filter (oiled) can screw up the readings your MAF is getting. Try cleaning the wire sensors in your MAf with throttle body cleaner.

Before this happened had you just cleaned your air filter?
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
meford4u,Aug 11 2005, 10:37 PM Wrote:15 minutes is pretty standard for letting the ECU reset itself.

Didn't you find an SVT MAF??  After we put are SVT MAF on, the car runs better.  He still has the stock MAF but isn't willing to part with it yet.
[right][snapback]131993[/snapback][/right]

I'm running the SVT maf right now... and here's what I noticed (at least with the vortech kit).

Anything below boost is about 20% less airflow than what the stock MAF Transfer functions would lead you to believe. Once you're into boost, it levels out and the MAF gives numbers the stock transfer function indicate.

When my car was at the shop, they were able to drive the car with the SVT Maf, running the stock MAF transfer function... with 0-2% correction below 4,000 RPM partial throttle... but the graph appears to catch back up at about the 3.5 volt level with the SVT stock values.

I need some WOT runs to say for sure..

I'm not quite willing to part with my stock MAF either.. it's my trusted backup plan.

I did have the SVT Maf but that sold with my supercharger.

I cleaned the maf just after I un parked the focus and everythign was good and to be honest the 1st time i ever felt the stumble was when I was fiddling with filters and jarrod gave me his K&N witch he just re oiled. I cleaned it since then and the problem just got worse.

Never really thought about it till now.
ZX3TUNR,Aug 11 2005, 08:19 PM Wrote:So if any one has a stock zetec maf please let me know. I would like to get one ASAP!
[right][snapback]131986[/snapback][/right]

I should have an extra MAF still attached to my stock intake tube in my buddy's garage. Let me know if you still need it.
yes still need asap. Why do you got an extra one?
Will good news so far. I talked to guilty and was just going to buy a MAF off him but now I dont need to.

Got into the focus today and YAY! CEL came on. Didnt have my Xcal2 on hand so w/e. I took it to the Ford dealorship I orionally had probs with. Figured I would give them another try.

LOL It was interesting. As soon as I pulled in ever tech and sales man had to come see the focus. This is where I bought the car from and some remember it from when it was plains stock LOL.

Any way they had the techs on my car and rigth away they asked me if DPFE sensor, fuel filter or Fuel pump been swapped yet. Was surprised they even asked me. Any way the tech ran the codes and sure enough it was the MAF that came up and the code saying my car was running in some safety strategy. Any way he reseted it and we went for a rip. Sure enough it stumbled and ran like s**t hardcore but whats werid is the car ran so much better with the CEL on LOL. He checked all the harness and everything looks good plus I never touched any of the wiring. So Tuesday my new MAF sensor will be in and by the sounds of it he said it would be all warranty.

One of the guys mentioned if my intake would have anything to do with it but the one tech said no unless I over oiled the filter witch I never did. He also said they come arcross a few foci that just get a bad MAF.

So Tuesday he said they well swap the maf and we can go for a rip. See if its fixed.
ZX3TUNR,Aug 12 2005, 04:24 PM Wrote:Will good news so far. I talked to guilty and was just going to buy a MAF off him but now I dont need to.

Got into the focus today and YAY! CEL came on. Didnt have my Xcal2 on hand so w/e. I took it to the Ford dealorship I orionally had probs with. Figured I would give them another try.

LOL It was interesting. As soon as I pulled in ever tech and sales man had to come see the focus. This is where I bought the car from and some remember it from when it was plains stock LOL. 

Any way they had the techs on my car and rigth away they asked me if DPFE sensor, fuel filter or Fuel pump been swapped yet. Was surprised they even asked me. Any way the tech ran the codes and sure enough it was the MAF that came up and the code saying my car was running in some safety strategy. Any way he reseted it and we went for a rip. Sure enough it stumbled and ran like s**t hardcore but whats werid is the car ran so much better with the CEL on LOL. He checked all the harness and everything looks good plus I never touched any of the wiring. So Tuesday my new MAF sensor will be in and by the sounds of it he said it would be all warranty.

One of the  guys mentioned if my intake would have anything to do with it but the one tech said no unless I over oiled the filter witch I never did. He also said they come arcross a few foci that just get a bad MAF.

So Tuesday he said they well swap the maf and we can go for a rip. See if its fixed.
[right][snapback]132336[/snapback][/right]

which dealer was this if u don't mind me asking. and which one gave u problems
2005 Liquid Grey ZX3 RIP
http://members.cardomain.com/phantom66
Mods so far : Mazda 3 Wiper Arm, Shorty Antenna, Alpine CDA-9887 HU, 17" Enkei Evo6 Hyper Black Nexen N3000 215/45/17
2010 World Rally Blue Subaru Impreza WRX STi
they both give me problems lol

but i used to goto bennot then moved to percival now im back at bennot.

they actually just call me back and they want the car back on monday to check on some more things.

only mehanics i will take my car to are

Gumby from Percival
and Chris Simon and Jay (older guy and sorta looks like 2001_ZTS) from Bennot.
Yah I bought my car at bennet I plan on staying at bennet.
2005 Liquid Grey ZX3 RIP
http://members.cardomain.com/phantom66
Mods so far : Mazda 3 Wiper Arm, Shorty Antenna, Alpine CDA-9887 HU, 17" Enkei Evo6 Hyper Black Nexen N3000 215/45/17
2010 World Rally Blue Subaru Impreza WRX STi
I've just started having my CEL come on lately too...never has before. Anyways, took the car up to SHM, and they ran the car on the diagnostic...was the DPFE sending the code...the tech cleaned it, and reset the computer, it it was good to go...then it came back on again last night. He told me that when he cleaned it, water came out of it. He also said that if the CEL comes on again, that'll be an indication that the DPFE is shot, because that's what was sending the code. Anyways, $115 bux later, I have a CEL again...guess I'll have to price one of those things...I know it's been mentioned on here tonnes of times...how much are they?
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
darkpuppet,Aug 11 2005, 07:42 PM Wrote:^^-- in my case, they redid the extension of the MAF cable.
[right][snapback]131790[/snapback][/right]

sorry didnt have comp for a while, not they didnt even change the wires, they just soldered it back on. i guess when i did it the first time it was really crappy and the tape was coming a part, wires were touching each other so that is why they car was driving like crap. but going back to your question, they never changed the wires they just soldered it and bc they did it they did warranty the work for the rest of the warranty period.

hope this makes sence.

Lates Mo
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad