Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dropping My Car
I'm not certain on your winters but I drove my old ZX3 with a 1.5" drop through the winter... As far as I was concerned it makes no difference at that ride height.

Also, with respect to ride comfort... that's a personal preference... stock to me was way too mushy and had little road "feeling"... with a drop, I felt every bump and crack and that's what is comfortable to me. It's not unwise to try a few test drives if you have the opportunity.

Carey
2004 SVT 3Dr

STKVSTDA
BradfordZX3,Aug 2 2005, 09:52 AM Wrote:I went with the eibach sportline it on my focus. The first week the ride was not to bad but after that it got really bad. I actually thought about going back to stock springs, then I decided to get new shocks and struts. I bought the KYB-GR2 shocks and struts and now the car rides like it use to. go with the whole package.
[right][snapback]127096[/snapback][/right]

if you don't mind me asking, what did the whole package set you back?
"The weak shall inherit...........NOTHING"
Mods so far:
- 2 Inch Drop, Focus Sport Cold Air Intake, Street Glow 4 light strobe system,MBRP Cat back exhaust, 35% tint on front windows, 5% all around the rear. 1 Million Color Flowlighting Underglow kit, Inside and out. SPEEDHUT custom indiglo Guages, Sirius Satellite Radio, Pioneer DH6800 Deck, 15" Solo-Baric L7 Sub,Enkei 17 inch rims, Belltronic Radar Detector
microbunny,Aug 1 2005, 05:38 PM Wrote:here is my 05' ZX5 lowered 1.6/1.4 on Eibach prokit springs

[Image: 04.jpg]
[right][snapback]126848[/snapback][/right]

Man, i really like the way this looks, even with the stockie rims...color is sweet too.
"The weak shall inherit...........NOTHING"
Mods so far:
- 2 Inch Drop, Focus Sport Cold Air Intake, Street Glow 4 light strobe system,MBRP Cat back exhaust, 35% tint on front windows, 5% all around the rear. 1 Million Color Flowlighting Underglow kit, Inside and out. SPEEDHUT custom indiglo Guages, Sirius Satellite Radio, Pioneer DH6800 Deck, 15" Solo-Baric L7 Sub,Enkei 17 inch rims, Belltronic Radar Detector
SangriaRedZX5,Aug 1 2005, 09:56 PM Wrote:When I showed you guys the pictures of my new rims and tint... pretty much everyone in the thread said that my car needs a drop. I agree! I thought it when I was getting the rims on. Just a few questions I need to know though...

I wanted to see what everyone thought on how much of a drop to get on my car, and also consider that my car WILL be driven in the winter, so I can't have it being a problem in the winter.

For people who live around me, where is the best place to get a drop?

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Pictures of my car: http://www.focuscanada.net/forum/index.p...opic=12197
[right][snapback]126799[/snapback][/right]

well I have the sportlines they are a 2" front 2.2 back ( I have no idea why! ) and last winter I had no problems driving around and I still had the stock firehawks with no tread....
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
Drop it like it's hot? :huh:

I'm still leaning towards the SVT package, or a coilover kit.

Steeda appears to have the best deal right now on the SVT retrofit with install and a 4-wheel alignment. I tried to get my local dealer to come close, and they couldn't even find the entire SVT suspension kit. :rolleyes:

Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Sooo many options! Everyone has such a different opinion and different experiences, this is crazy! I'm never going to be able to decide... haha <_<
lol well you can do what my mother just did while in Italy for 3 weeks... buy them all! she bought 13 pairs of shoes because "I just couldn't decide" :P :lol: :lol: She had to buy a new suit case too for her newly acquired luggage :blink:

seriously tho, it's really dependent upon 2 things I think... 1. budget 2. reason for drop (ie looks or performance). Once you identify those criteria then the rest is easy.
2004 SVT 3Dr

STKVSTDA
SangriaRedZX5,Aug 2 2005, 02:06 PM Wrote:Sooo many options! Everyone has such a different opinion and different experiences, this is crazy! I'm never going to be able to decide... haha  <_<
[right][snapback]127173[/snapback][/right]

Count me as a "leave it as it is" vote, but that's only because with my knee a drop would cause a whole buttload of pain (Not to mention making winter exits from the car an Olympic sport for me <_< )

Besides, when you can take a 90 degree right turn at 50km/h on the stock suspension, no body roll and the Pirellis don't even chirp, that's darn impressive to me :lol:

NefCanuck
1.5" less ground clearance is not goign to make your car undriveable. if there is that much snow on the ground that your front lip won't clear it (probably like what.. 6"?) then its not like you are going to be going anywhere fast. even 5" or 4" of snow on the ground in a fwd/open diff car I'd really think twice before making the trip anyway

naz,Aug 3 2005, 07:58 AM Wrote:even 5" or 4" of snow on the ground in a fwd/open diff car I'd really think twice before making the trip anyway
[right][snapback]127412[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, but you live in the USA, we just expect you guys to stay home if there is more than 2" of snow on the ground.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Flofocus,Aug 3 2005, 08:24 AM Wrote:
naz,Aug 3 2005, 07:58 AM Wrote:even 5" or 4" of snow on the ground in a fwd/open diff car I'd really think twice before making the trip anyway
[right][snapback]127412[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, but you live in the USA, we just expect you guys to stay home if there is more than 2" of snow on the ground.
[right][snapback]127414[/snapback][/right]

ZING! :lol:
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Flofocus,Aug 3 2005, 08:24 AM Wrote:Yeah, but you live in the USA, we just expect you guys to stay home if there is more than 2" of snow on the ground.
[right][snapback]127414[/snapback][/right]

hahah! hold your tongue! You're thinking the south or something. We don't close for anything up here short of a blizzard.

Although, when I lived down in Pittsburgh, they closed all the roads when they got about 3" of snow in one night! It was totally ridiculous! Considering I'm from up here, and the girl I was dating at the time was from Boston.. we were both pretty mad that they closed everything down over a light powdering of snow. The news made it sound like the world was ending.
The new: 2013 Tangerine Scream ST
The old: 2005 ZX4 - MBRP 2.25", Marcy Motorsport CAI. SCT Tuning, Eibach Pro-System
--
Team PITA
Slimsride,Aug 2 2005, 01:47 PM Wrote:
BradfordZX3,Aug 2 2005, 09:52 AM Wrote:I went with the eibach sportline it on my focus. The first week the ride was not to bad but after that it got really bad. I actually thought about going back to stock springs, then I decided to get new shocks and struts. I bought the KYB-GR2 shocks and struts and now the car rides like it use to. go with the whole package.
[right][snapback]127096[/snapback][/right]

if you don't mind me asking, what did the whole package set you back?
[right][snapback]127132[/snapback][/right]

The springs were $400 and the shocks and struts were $300 and $250 for install
The springs were $400 and the shocks and struts were $300 and $250 for install
Wowww!

It seems that everyone has a different story. I guess its how the type of driver you are and depending on how much snow. I'm going to college in Sept, so even if it snows really bad... I'm going to have to drive anyways, so if a drop will be a negative affect, I don't want it. Cause I'll be driving A LOT in the winter. Mind you, its only a 10-15 drive to my college, but still a drive.
schade,Aug 1 2005, 08:49 PM Wrote:The winters in the GTA/burlington area aren't that bad .. buy the time everyone gets on the roads in the morning there usually cleared of whatever snow might have fallen .. so mass amounts of snow really isn't a problem ..

I don't know if the '05's need this or not but if you do decide to lower it, invest in a set of the p-51 shock shims for the rear of the car .. it'll make the car feel so much better in the winter
[right][snapback]126895[/snapback][/right]

LOL my road isn't cleared untill 1pm on bad days, and then i usually bury the car in the driveway (40-50ft in length) because i forget the traction control is on and it bogs the car till its stuck. I have fun in the winter :fluffy:
2005 ZX4 SOLD! ST; 1992 Mustang 5.0L S/C

[Image: lakemitchellsml.jpg][Image: burnout1sml.jpg]