Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holy Spam Batman.
we've been over run!
sorry... I updated the registration and testing out the spam filter... guess there's still some kinks.

Unfortunately, it's hard to manually approve people and catch everyone who's not spam. I hate missing legitimate new registrants.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

I wonder, can you set up a custom challenge / response type registration system with this forum software? :huh:

NefCanuck
darkpuppet,May 13 2009, 09:29 AM Wrote:sorry... I updated the registration and testing out the spam filter... guess there's still some kinks.

Unfortunately, it's hard to manually approve people and catch everyone who's not spam.  I hate missing legitimate new registrants.
[right][snapback]287273[/snapback][/right]

Is there any way to set up an invitation system that facilitates joining (bypasses some of the hurdles) ... I come across lots of guys who might be interested and sending them a link would make it easy.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
right now, I've opened up the registration once again... for the time being.

I've been working on a prototype anti-spam thing that any user of the board could mark as spam and lock out spam users, e-mails and IPs... with an admin override.

So basically, everyone who first registers gets a button that displays with their first 50 posts that lets you report them as spammers.

Once 2 hits are made, the account is restricted until a mod reviews the account -- if the mod confirms the spam, the user is deleted, the IP, e-mail and whatnot are banned and life goes on.

If a mod approves the post, the profile is flagged as good and the button goes away.

As things stand, I have a prototype board setup, and I've started the development of the feature... hopefully sometime in July I can roll it out.

Another anti-spamming technique is to put several generated images and quiz the user on their orientation and order -- two things bots aren't very good at... I'm hoping some board devs implement it, because that's more complicated than I have time for.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Holy spam on here. Puppett are you even still on your own site any more? paolo 0 1,253 12-28-2016, 10:33 PM
Last Post: paolo
  Holy Christmas Lights Batman darkpuppet 12 4,267 11-23-2005, 10:50 AM
Last Post: NefCanuck