Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holy Crap...something New?
been there with the SQ of my brahma. sounded awesome in my focus ported. in my sonoma sealed it was terrible. its a preferance thing, i totally agree.
*** 2000 Street Edition Sedan Album ***
(May Your New Owner Love You As I Did)
hey honkeytonk, where did you find those tweeters for $3... i wouldnt mind a couple sets to toy around with.

what do you reccomend for midranges (on the cheap) have to replace speakers in the beater.
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
ANTHONYD,Jun 5 2005, 06:54 AM Wrote:Audio is super personal. What I think sounds good, others may turn their nose up at.
[right][snapback]112719[/snapback][/right]

Exactly right, hell, I'm happy with the stock speakers on my '05 and the 6CD/MP3 changer and I know more than a few people here who are likely cringing as they read that :headbang:

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Jun 6 2005, 02:41 PM Wrote:
ANTHONYD,Jun 5 2005, 06:54 AM Wrote:Audio is super personal. What I think sounds good, others may turn their nose up at.
[right][snapback]112719[/snapback][/right]

Exactly right, hell, I'm happy with the stock speakers on my '05 and the 6CD/MP3 changer and I know more than a few people here who are likely cringing as they read that :headbang:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]112941[/snapback][/right]

Honestly, the stock system isnt all that bad. I've amped the stock speakers before, and it sounds a crapload better than most factory econobox systems.
05 Altima SE-R
scoobasteve,Jun 6 2005, 04:01 PM Wrote:Honestly, the stock system isnt all that bad. I've amped the stock speakers before, and it sounds a crapload better than most factory econobox systems.
[right][snapback]112948[/snapback][/right]

I completely agree!! The stock focus speakers are totally good for a stock system. I too have ampped the stockers to the tune of 80W rms a piece and they sounded very reasonable...

I'm just a retard when it comes to audio and I cant deal with 'just stock' stuff in my car!!! :lol:
microbunny,Jun 6 2005, 07:05 PM Wrote:I completely agree!! The stock focus speakers are totally good for a stock system. I too have ampped the stockers to the tune of 80W rms a piece and they sounded very reasonable...

I'm just a retard when it comes to audio and I cant deal with 'just stock' stuff in my car!!! :lol:
[right][snapback]112974[/snapback][/right]

Heh, I'm like that with my home system, in the car I'm figuring that I shoud be driving, not being zombified by my car's stereo (Though some tracks I do play pretty loud whenever the mood strikes :P )

NefCanuck
microbunny,Jun 4 2005, 12:27 AM Wrote:Whatever jerkass...

Do whatever you want with your $3 tweeters... :rolleyes:

In fact, I can tell you an even better spot for them then in those pillars!!
[right][snapback]112503[/snapback][/right]

Why are you calling me a jerkass? I made no negative comments towards you at all. I am offering people another solution other than just driving over to Future Shop and buying a preassembled set of components. Explain why the idea of $3 tweeters sounding good angers you. When some companies do bulk buyouts on old product, or make a change to a new one they often drop the price to get the inventory out of thier hair. It's a fairly common practice. Also, after the R&D cost of develloping a speaker is covered, building tweeters costs very little. What do you really think the difference in material cost of a $380 tweeter and a $3 tweeter is? The magnets are often the same material, the motor structure is similar, the wiring is still copper, all that really differs is a logo and usually a much better looking casing and grille. Yes there is a diffference between the two, but rarely $377 dollars worth.

And please, enlighten me as to where I should put the tweeters other than the pillars. I've had them in the doors, on a bracket in front of the mid, in the kickpanels, and so far this has been the best location I've found. Many champion SQ cars use this location.

I'm guessing you were going to tell me to shove them up my ass or put them in the garbage. That's fine though, it will just allow me to completely disregard your opinions and ideas in the future.
Luke.

2002 Malibu Blue ZX5 "Malibloo" RIP 2006 Sad
2003 Liquid Grey ZX3 "Tarmac" Eurofried Rice

Tarmac.
scoobasteve,Jun 6 2005, 07:28 PM Wrote:hey honkeytonk, where did you find those tweeters for $3... i wouldnt mind a couple sets to toy around with.

what do you reccomend for midranges (on the cheap) have to replace speakers in the beater.
[right][snapback]112939[/snapback][/right]

Dayton 3/4"

These are the ones I'm looking at right now, they are more aesthetically pleasing, and they will cover the top end better. Price went up because they are selling well though.

Neo* planar transducers

These are in my kickpanels, they are about 6mm thick. They are extremely clear and basically distortion free. Also they draw very little power. Price has gone up since I got them 4 years ago

Peerless 1"

This is the tweeter I'm using now. The price has jumped drastically so I would buy the Dayton over it. Usually with PE when things sell well the prices go up. The trick is to jump on a deal before it becomes a popular choice. A while back the 7" drivers I use were selling for $15 each... sorry I missed that one :(

As for replacing your mids, you just have to look for a speaker with a large frequency range. Coaxial drivers are most popular and you can grab them almost anywhere. There are a few places online that sell the OEM speakers like the ones the focus comes with stock for about $.25 each
Luke.

Tarmac.
... I'm lost... what exactly does a planar transducer do ?
05 Altima SE-R
It's a flat speaker.

My 7" speakers play from 60Hz to 800Hz, the Flat speakers play from 800Hz to 6000Hz, and the tweeters cover from there on up.

The benefits are thier clarity and lack of distortion, they are basically a solid piece of metal so they are indestructible in the kickpanels, and they use very little power to keep up to the rest of the system. The downside is that they are extremely hard to aim properly as thier off-axis response side to side is very narrow. They were an experiment, as far as I know only myself and one other person has used them in an automotive environment. The other downside is that without a notch filter, they need dedicated tweeters to play anything much over 6000hz. Right now I'm in the process of building fiberglass kicks to house them and my 7" mids.

The newer Neo8s have fixed this to a degree, but it's still an issue.

They make excellent computer speakers btw, they are naturally shielded so they won't hurt your monitor, you just need an amplifier
Luke.

Tarmac.
GlennH,Jun 5 2005, 12:26 AM Wrote:edit: tweeter placement should be as close as possible to the mid range speaker. (6.5) mainly, maybe an 8, but that would be weird. Pillar tweeter placement is ok, but your seperating the sound. as for 3 dollar tweets, whatever works man. some of us are really into our sound, and its tough, cuz if you dont hear other products, you dont notice how much of a difference the sound is from what your used too. so if you enjoy your 3 dollar tweets, dont sit in a car that has a 1,000 comp set. hehe
[right][snapback]112651[/snapback][/right]

Yes generally speaking tweeters should be 7" from the mid, but a quick look through prior winning SQ cars will show pillar placement for tweeters has very good results, I've had them everywhere in the car, I stopped after putting them in the pillar because that's where I found I liked them best. I have mangled kickpanles, door panels, and fabricated brackets made to hold the tweeters. All done in the search for a perfect spot. I think I'll move them further down the pillar when I get my new tweeters but I won't be doing much over that. They only play the final octave, and effectively the soundstage is raised and moved forward. They are roughly equidistant from my ears as the mids in any case, and the time correction on my HU will rid me of any discernable delay between the two.

As for my experience with trying other products, I used to spent hundreds on pre assembled components and I have heard many more. I've discovered that I was spending more than I needed to. I'm very much into my sound, I've owned seceral component sets and individual components in the last 5 years. I've heard $1000 speakers, I just can't justify thier purchase. $1000 doesn't mean they are always worth the $1000

I really don't get it, I'm getting knocked down a notch by people who have not even heard my system. WTF?
Luke.

Tarmac.
Honkeytonk Monkey,Jun 16 2005, 10:01 PM Wrote:I really don't get it, I'm getting knocked down a notch by people who have not even heard my system. WTF?
[right][snapback]114872[/snapback][/right]
Look man, I'm not trying to knock you down or diss your system. It's true i have not heard it in person so I shouldn't knock anything.

On the other hand, I'm a very picky person when it comes to audio and nothing that is $3 has ever been at the top of my list of quality components for my car but, if you like them and they sound good to you and your ride, then more power to you.

Audio is a personal choice and everyone likes different things so don't take offense at my comments just take em as another opinion man..

sorry
I have YET to own any component sets in any of my cars. I've always just used 2-way coaxials in the factory locations. In my 78 Zephyr, I had 2 5x7" JBL power series coaxials in the rear deck, and 3" GTO Series coaxials in the dash, with 2 10" GTO series subs in the trunk in a sealed box. I was using a JBL GTS 300 amplifier for the subs, and was running the coaxials off the Pioneer Premier deck I had in the car at the time. The sound system I had sounded better than the stereo in a couple of Lexus and Infinity cars I've been in, and those cars use seperates. Not only did I feel the SQ was better, but everyone else who did the comparison with me agreed.

I'm more or less running the same setup in my Foci now...deck driving the 5x7's, and a 2ch amp driving the 2 10's in the hatch...it cost me less than $2000 so far, and it sounds more than adequate...As pointed out, it's all about personal prefference when it comes to audio systems of any type, and some of that is sometimes determined by price (had JBL previous 2x, and spent a fortune, and the power acoustik stuff is also american made/designed, and gives me almost equalled performance at 1/2 the cost).

Bleeding Ford Blue again...