Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mushy Brakes..?
My brakes have gotten really mushy lately.

What could the problem be? Needs a brake fluid flush/change? Master cylinder?

My pads are new, and the OEM rotors are still well within good specs.

Can somebody give me a heads up here...

My car is a '01 with 80k on it, is it a bit early to change the fluid?

P.S. Would it be worthwhile to cheap out and get a ghetto place like Midas/Jiffy Lube to do the brake fluid? The Stealership wants $90 including the DOT 3 fluid. What do ya think? Get it done the right way? I just don't want to waste $90 if its not the fluid thats the problem.
I used to change brake fluid on the motorcycle every year. I've done the Focus at least once. It breaks down over time. Level OK?
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
Level is okay yup.

I think I'll get the Dealer to do it.
Probably an air bubble.
have you had it since new?

changing the brake fluid should cure that problem.
'03 Focus SVT
Yup, I've had it new since 2001, so I'm sure the fluid is due by now. I can't really see it being a brake line problem this early, they all check out visually.

Thanks guys, just needed some advice.
Do it all in one big upgrade, do a set of stainless steel brake lines then go to the dealership and re-do your brake fluid.
Run your car, not your mouth
ZOOM,Mar 14 2005, 01:21 AM Wrote:Do it all in one big upgrade, do a set of stainless steel brake lines then go to the dealership and re-do your brake fluid.
[right][snapback]93375[/snapback][/right]

Yes, stainless steel braided lines are sexy AND useful. A very good, cost-effective upgrade.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
NOS2Go4Me,Mar 15 2005, 04:04 PM Wrote:Yes, stainless steel braided lines are sexy [right][snapback]93740[/snapback][/right]

They are hardly sexy, especially when the good ones have black rubber over the braid. ;)

I've never had ANYONE ever go: "Oh nice brake lines........sexy"
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
I drove a Focus with braided lines, the difference was minimal, so I opted out.
2001 ZTS,Mar 15 2005, 11:44 AM Wrote:
NOS2Go4Me,Mar 15 2005, 04:04 PM Wrote:Yes, stainless steel braided lines are sexy [right][snapback]93740[/snapback][/right]

They are hardly sexy, especially when the good ones have black rubber over the braid. ;)

I've never had ANYONE ever go: "Oh nice brake lines........sexy"
[right][snapback]93748[/snapback][/right]

But but... they look sexy on the website!

So... brake upgrades are like mail-order Russian brides? :ph34r:
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.