Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Camping Is A Go!: Make A Reservation
Raine,Feb 9 2005, 11:18 AM Wrote:
ANTHONYD,Feb 9 2005, 10:14 AM Wrote:If I make it to this trip... I'll be flying stag....

Jen will be into her summer course. :lol:
[right][snapback]84667[/snapback][/right]

on the weekend??? c'mon!
[right][snapback]84671[/snapback][/right]

She won't get out on friday until around 3:00...

I want to leave Friday morning after a coffee and a good crap.
I probably scared her off. Anyway, let me know who is on what site and I'll edit post#1.

Closer to the date we can work out details, for example we can save some space in the cars if we share a few things, for example we all wouldn't have to bring stoves. This is more for my sake since I'll have 3 in my car.

Bring bicycles?
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
I was thinking about it, but depends... if we carpool, won't be room for bikes... and let's face it, it doesn't make any sense whatsoever to take 5 cars for 10 people...
2000 Black ZX3
Blacked Out Head & Tail lights - APC Clear Turn Signals - 20% Tint All Round - K&N Filter - Cheap ass fogs that are brighter than my headlights - Clarion DXZ745MP - Jensen XA 4100 amp on Mobile Authority 200w 6x8's - Jensen 340w amp on a 12" Rockford Sub, custom enclosure - KYB GR2 Dampers - SHM Springs @ 1.5" - Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors w/ CVR Ceramic Pads - Silver Gauge Bezel - Focus Central 2-Piece Under Drive Pullies - 17 x 7 Rims by Fast Wheels mounted on 215/40/17's - Wings West W-Typ front lip - Coming Soon: Paint, Component Speakers (Spring 06)
Is there a hotel/motel close by?
Natasha
natasha,Feb 9 2005, 11:15 PM Wrote:Is there a hotel/motel close by?
[right][snapback]84843[/snapback][/right]

Wow what a co-incidence, I was just thinking about sex too! What did you have in mind?
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
I'm in, just waiting for the woman to figure out her summer semester schedule also. Likely I'll book a site for us, regarless if she comes.
Also, gonna try to book Friday off, so I don't have to race up there.
I'll will be bringing my bike.
Seriously, is there a hotel/motel close by? the last three camping trips I've been on have been a waste of time. the first one we couldn't get a fire started. it was the last weekend of the season and ended up spending an hour looking for other campers to help us get the fire started. we ended up finding an older couple who came over and showed us how to start a fire. they also said if we decided to stay the whole weekend, as orginally planned, to move our camp next to them so we wouldn't have so far to go for help. ended up rainning that night and the tent we borrowed leaked. woke up in a huge puddle freezing cold. second time we went opening weekend, and ended up with a wind storm and tree branches falling every where. got a fire started no problem that time. third trip went to set up the tent and the poles were missing. another camper forgot to pack a sleeping bag so i gave him half of mine and ended up freezing. so I think a hotel would be safer for me. also, I don't have the room in my car for all the camping gear.
Natasha
Q: Seriously, is there a hotel/motel close by?
A: Yes outside the park (see map) and I belive "lodges" inside, the distance would be in the 10's of km from us, but read more first

Natasha: we couldn't get a fire started.
2001 ZTS: I was an honest to god boy scout and can start a fire by a variety of means including with two flashlight batteries and some steal wool. The quest for fire will not be hard. As well I have a propane stove, butane stove and a liquid gas stove that burns naptha, to unleaded to kerosene. Hot meals will not be a problem.

Natasha: the tent we borrowed leaked. woke up in a huge puddle freezing cold. second time we went opening weekend, and ended up with a wind storm and tree branches falling every where. third trip went to set up the tent and the poles were missing.
2001 ZTS: I have three tents including something called a Eureka Scorpian 4 season with a "fly" (second layer for rain repellancy). It's a serious tent and I am willing to lend. It has a plastic ground sheet as well. Again, it's a hardcore tent costing many hundereds of dollars and can take any wind rain or branches not some cheap POS like it sounds like you had. I will help you erect it.

Similar to: http://www.eurekatentscanada.com/Product....asp?Id=18

Natasha: another camper forgot to pack a sleeping bag forgot to pack a sleeping bag so i gave him half of mine
2001 ZTS: Would you do the same for me? Sounds like the "gee honey, looks like we ran out of gas, what are we going to do now? Gosh my pants are itchy, better take them off" You will be responsible for your own sleeping bag and a self inflating mat (these are best) or a air matress.

Natasha: I don't have the room in my car for all the camping gear.
2001 ZTS: How many in your car? I was going to bring 3 people, all my stuff including two coolers, stove(s), lantern, toys, 3 lawn chairs, 3 sleeping bags 3 self inflating mats, a 4 man tent and 3 bikes in/on my sedan (roof rack for bikes). Modern camping stuff is not like it used to be it's all compact and the quality is outsatnding.

I get the feeling all the volunteers who indicated interest so far have all lots of experience and some quality gear. Again other than a sleeping bag, self inflating mat and a cup and plate I'm sure you could live off the rest of us no problem.

Was I able to change your mind?

EDIT: hot showers and flush toilets are within a 5 minute walk.
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
Was I able to change your mind?

EDIT: hot showers and flush toilets are within a 5 minute walk.

Yep. the showers and flush toilets did it. I'll check tommorow if I can have that friday off. hopefully I am giving them more than enough notice, and won't be given the usual we'll have to wait and see if a senior staff books time off then as well or the we don't have any supply teachers b.s.

Oh and I guess I could take the sub box out of the car or rent a car for the weekend. Probably rent a car would be better, don't have to worry about chips in the paint.
Natasha
Map of all of Pog Lake Campground, we are in the "RF" (radio free) campground, you can see the showers and laundry in nearby Camp A. Small beach and canoe rental between RF & A too:

[Image: PG_0_1.gif]
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
Sounds like you've got some good gear Andrew. I'm running this tent:

[Image: yhst-2772593662451_1824_1052551.jpg]

I had a Coleman but we used it on our first trip to Algonquin and someone had left shampoo open inside. Bear decided to rip one of the walls to get in. Fun fun. We weren't in it at the time.

If I could recommend some stuff for people to bring:

Necessary

Tent
Foam/Inflatable mat
4 lb sleeping bag
Flashlight (gotta be something like 500,000 Candle power otherwise it's just not worth it)
Crank/Fully Charged Radio (Even tho we're in a radio-free zone, a radio is always safe to have, and keep very quiet in your tent to check weather forecasts and whatnot)
Cooler (even a small one will do, just to keep food/drinks in)
Food/Drink
A Saw (dunno if there's a cheap wood yard around Pog lake, but personally I find it easier to just go in and find a fallen tree. I'll be bringing mine, so anyone that needs it can feel free)
Bug Repellant!! (Especially true if you like going into the forest to find wood for the fire. Remember, we're going just a week into June... smack in the middle of both blackfly and mosquito season. Both bugs are very prevalent in Algonquin at this time... blackflies moreso as they are attracted to clean waters rather than standing, murky waters like Mosquitoes. Also starting to make their appearences at this time are horse and deer flies... and these bastards can bite. 15% DEET formulae, such as OFF! Deep Woods are reccommended)
Garbage Bags
Rope (I normally camp in the interior, so this is a necessary accessory, used to hang the food pack. Other than that, it's good for hanging clothes in the event of getting stuck in the rain, among other things)

For Fun/Comfort

Propane Stove I'm not sure if this is just recommended or necessary. I use it for so much... making hot meals, boiling water, occasionally starting a fire...)
FRS Radios (good if you're biking/hiking)
Binoculars (great for looking at the stars at night, or just nature watching)
Shampoo/Conditioner/Razor I dunno how stinky you guys get after 3 days, but personally, if I'm just going for the weekend, I'll wash my hair Friday morning and I'm good to go. And I think it's bad luck to shave on a camping trip
Bike Pain in the ass to haul around, but the trails are killer if it's not too busy
Floating air matress Fun for going out on the lake, or comfortable to sleep on. Overall, a good thing to bring along if you have the room

This is more than I've ever brought on a camping trip. Normally I'm good to go with my tent, lighter, sleeping bag, pillow, propane stove/lantern, 5 canisters of propane, saw, rope, clothes and food... but if you want the experience to be really rewarding... pack it all up!
2000 Black ZX3
Blacked Out Head & Tail lights - APC Clear Turn Signals - 20% Tint All Round - K&N Filter - Cheap ass fogs that are brighter than my headlights - Clarion DXZ745MP - Jensen XA 4100 amp on Mobile Authority 200w 6x8's - Jensen 340w amp on a 12" Rockford Sub, custom enclosure - KYB GR2 Dampers - SHM Springs @ 1.5" - Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors w/ CVR Ceramic Pads - Silver Gauge Bezel - Focus Central 2-Piece Under Drive Pullies - 17 x 7 Rims by Fast Wheels mounted on 215/40/17's - Wings West W-Typ front lip - Coming Soon: Paint, Component Speakers (Spring 06)
You had to go mention bears............now natasha is scared again! :lol:

It will probably be too cold to swim first week of June or too cold for me anyway.

They sell fire wood near the gate and they frown on cutting trees, even fallen ones. You don't need to hang your food since there are cars to put it in and radio isn't needed as cars have radios too, or at least mine does.

The bigger the cooler the better! In fact I'l be bringing two, one for food and one for beerverages.

I'm going to probably pass on bikes since my kid is just getting started. There is a dedicated MB trail if I remeber right.

The new museum is VERY GOOD and worth seeing. I also plan to take a short hike or two on one of the many trails, the distance we can go is limited by my kid maybe one or two km. He's too small to walk too long and too big to carry now. There are trails of everylength and ability.
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
I havent booked my site yet because I haven't had time yet...

I'll try and do that tonight, but definitely count me in...

I camp in luxury - 6 person tent (just for me!!!).. queen size air mattress, big ass cooler, naptha single burner portable stove and lantern (gotta pick up some elements!)...

Starting a fire is easy, because I do cheat and bring an air pump for the air mattress, so I don't even have to blow on the fire.... that and a little naptha/nitrometh (if I bring the r/c truck) could get anything burning in a hurry :P

gotta love camping.. should be fun... as soon as I book a site...

p.s. I'll probably pack the bike in case anyone else wants to go for a ride...
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

ok.. I'm booked

Site 209, arriving Friday, leaving Monday (I'm not fighting traffic on Sunday!!!)

fire starting. Vitamin 'G'. Your good to go! :D
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Damnit... we'll be in the Dominican around then! Well, that's a good thing, but you get my drift.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
darkpuppet,Feb 10 2005, 10:34 AM Wrote:ok.. I'm booked

Site 209, arriving Friday, leaving Monday (I'm not fighting traffic on Sunday!!!)
[right][snapback]84941[/snapback][/right]

I'm trying my damdest to get out to this meet fellas.
[quote=2001 ZTS,Feb 10 2005, 08:23 AM]
You had to go mention bears............now natasha is scared again! :lol:

Bears don't scare me. not that I have ever encountered any, other than at a zoo. not having a fire, hot shower, flushable toilets, and the thought of freezing scares me more. I put in my request for leave, hopefully I will know tomorrow so that i can book a site.
Natasha
Steve, you be pm'd.
j3rt,Feb 10 2005, 11:51 PM Wrote:Steve, you be pm'd.
[right][snapback]85114[/snapback][/right]

pm'd back.. welcome to Camp Darkpuppet™!