Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Small Amps...who Makes Them?
Hey everybody,

I have a non-foci, but still Ford related question. I've been thinking of upgrading the 8" Sub in the sealed enclosure in my Escape (Mach 300 stereo), but I will probably need to upgrade the factory amp too, in order to drive the new woofer properly (not sure if it would have enough power/current to play the new woofer). The stock Mach amp is tiny, and I don't know how much larger of an aftermarket amp I could fit in it's place (might require some minor fabrication). I'm fairly pleased with the output of just one small sub in my truck, and I'd like to have a little bit more impact and SPL, without having a large-ish box and amp like I used to have in the ZX3. I basically want to keep things close to stock, just upgraded to higher quality and more power handling capability.

I know Sony, Alpine, and Pioneer make some small amps...I would preffer to get something that is maybe class D, and runs 200-250W RMS in mono to safely drive a single 8" without stress, and still be able to bury it the rear 1/4 panel like the stock amp.

Any ideas?

Thanks! B)
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
these are pretty tiny.
and wicked quality too.

BOSTON MAKES AMPS NOW!
[Image: gt275_1.jpg]
Pioneer's GMD7400 is a good little amp, i think it's about 9 inches square or so and is rated at 250wrms at 4Ohms.
I bought a red car, because everyone knows red is the fastest.
I have read else where that you can fit a 10inch JL sub into the factory enclosure. I would do some more research on switching amps. I think the factory amp also powers the door speakers to a certain point. When I checked my amp it had numerous wires going from the amp harness. Maybe try the bigger sub first then try a bigger amp.

Are you still using the Infinity sub/amp combo?
[center]TEAM PITA™ Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.[/center]
No, that was in the Mustang, and I removed it and sold it to someone back in Pet. I am searching from almost every brand, including the cheapie stuff (Pyle, Legacy, Boss, Lanzar's lower-end stuff) to see who makes small amps that are at least more than 100-150W RMS (otherwise I see no point in making the switch). A lot of people on Escape-City have swapped the stock 8" sub with a Kicker or other shallow-mount driver with great success (especially after putting a separate amp in the floor storeage compartment to drive it) having deeper extension, and more sheer volume, still using the stock enclosure.

Thanks for the replies so far everybody!
Bleeding Ford Blue again...