Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remote Starter Bad For Car?
Just wanted to know if installing a remote starter on my car would be potentially bad for my car? Will it mess up my ECU or any other components of the car?

Or is that just old news?

I have a ZX3 Manual transmission.

Thanks!
Hedman Header
Hi/Flo Cat
Custom Dual Exhaust (Engine Back - 2.5"Wink
Diablo Chip (re-programmed)
APC Brake Lights are off, back to stock
OEM Aftermarket Zenon Headlights
Wings West BodyKit
FK Automotive Suspension
Front and Rear Camber Kit
17" American Racing XComp Rims
Fuzion ZRi Summer Tires
Speedhut Indiglo Dash
Steeda Shift knob and accsessories switches
JVC Head Unit
12 Disc CD Changer
Bazooka Base Tube
Injen Cold Air Intake
Progress Competition 22mm Swaybar

http://www.pbase.com/myfordfocus2/inbox
mmm. I wasn't aware that a remote starter would caus any trouble but would be interesting to know if it does as i plan to install one on my manual zx3 ..

not sure why it would though
ZX3T gone..
just make sure you get something good and not cheap. Compustar is really good and there is no way of false starts with it.
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

Last time I looked, they stopped making remote starters/installing them on cars with a manual transmission. Something they called "lock and load".

TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
Does the remote starter shift the car into nuetral and depress the clutch? I'm not sure if it's true with the focus but some manual cars don't start without the clutch in? :blink:
vintage 2000 malibu blue ZX3 ***SOLD***
2013 performance blue ST

TEAM P.I.T.A.
theres a switch hooked to the clutch switch that allows it to remote start. IMHO compustar is the best becauase you have to shut off the car in a special way for it to arm the autostart.
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
The only "bad for car" concern is excessive idling "they" say you shouldn't do it for more than 30 seconds but we all know it takes many minutes before you can even see out the windows on a cold day.
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
youll be fine.
Dan, Your friendly neighbourhood asshole. Wink
I do installs and build FG stuff, pm me if you need help with anything. Im cheap.
I have had one almost since I have owned my wagon! I have the 5 speed and I have had no problems. You should buy a quality car started and you will also need the security bypass modual and get a reputable installer. The procedure to activate the starter is different than an automatic but it's not a problem. I have a Prostart and it works great!
Silver 05 ZX4 SES

RPM Black 501 18X7, Falken 215/35/18's, MBRP Stainless Cat-Back Exhaust Gen 2, FocusSport Header and Flex, Eibach Sportlines, Eibach Struts & Shocks, Eibach Sway Bars, AEM Cold Intake, FocusSport Strut Bar, Pioneer Head Unit, Boston 6.5 for Doors, Speedhut White Face Gauges, Momo Pedals, Crystal Clear Bumper Lenses, Niken Shorty Antena, Tint. RS Widebody Kit Ready for 2010...!

Fat Guy in Small Car...
i had a remote starter on my mtx sho and didn't have any problems what so ever. with my starter, you had to program the car before shutting it off. the program was just leaving it in neutral and pressing a button. the lights would flash, take the key out (the car will still be on), once out of the car press button and the car will shut off.
'02 CD Silver SVT
All the options
#3731 out of 4788

'85 Mustang GT
I have the compustar and haven't had any problems with it. You need to leave it neutral with the hand brake on in order for it to start. It has a two way pager so you know if it is running and a range of 5000 feet. It also has a setting so you make it start every so many hours. Mine includes an alarm so it is worth the money. I paid $800 for mine installed which included remote door lock/unlock and for the hatch to be open. Make sure you get a pro to install it. Compustar also covers warrenty if it is the cause of a problem with your car.
2003 CD Silver SVT Focus
#21 of 2173
svt_rodg,Nov 25 2004, 11:29 AM Wrote:i had a remote starter on my mtx sho and didn't have any problems what so ever.  with my starter, you had to program the car before shutting it off.  the program was just leaving it in neutral and pressing a button.  the lights would flash, take the key out (the car will still be on), once out of the car press button and the car will shut off.
[right][snapback]71500[/snapback][/right]

SVTZX503,Nov 25 2004, 11:38 AM Wrote:I have the compustar and haven't had any problems with it. You need to leave it neutral with the hand brake on in order for it to start. It has a two way pager so you know if it is running and a range of 5000 feet. It also has a setting so you make it start every so many hours. Mine includes an alarm so it is worth the money. I paid $800 for mine installed which included remote door lock/unlock and for the hatch to be open. Make sure you get a pro to install it. Compustar also covers warrenty if it is the cause of a problem with your car.
[right][snapback]71503[/snapback][/right]

Same as what these 2 have said!
Silver 05 ZX4 SES

RPM Black 501 18X7, Falken 215/35/18's, MBRP Stainless Cat-Back Exhaust Gen 2, FocusSport Header and Flex, Eibach Sportlines, Eibach Struts & Shocks, Eibach Sway Bars, AEM Cold Intake, FocusSport Strut Bar, Pioneer Head Unit, Boston 6.5 for Doors, Speedhut White Face Gauges, Momo Pedals, Crystal Clear Bumper Lenses, Niken Shorty Antena, Tint. RS Widebody Kit Ready for 2010...!

Fat Guy in Small Car...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Bad Remote Starter or computer? Frost__2001 6 2,213 07-08-2012, 12:05 AM
Last Post: konafocuswrc