Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NHL: Chara's hit on Pacioretty
Anyone else think this whole thing is getting blown out of proportion?

I didn't think the hit was intentional... other than the interference, but a lot of folks, including Air Canada seem to be taking it a bit more seriously.

what are your thoughts?

might want to say if you're a canadiens fan or not... Tongue
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

I am a Canadians Fan, first off.

Personally I don't think that the hit was dirty or malicious.......but I still think Chara should have gotten some form of suspension.

Just because it was intentional, ultimately what he did caused severe harm to another player. The NHL needs to crack down on all things intentional or unintentional that cause severe injury to its players. If the players won't act in a way that respects each other, the NHL needs to step in.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

It's hockey, it's fast. Can't predict every next move.
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
gotta admit, this photo is pretty damning...

[Image: 254950972.jpg]
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

Awesome.
Let him bust up a few more habs.
I think he knew exactly what he was doing-drive him hard into the stanchion. They all know where those stanchions are.
I'm sure Chara didn't intend to break his neck but he sure meant to direct him into it.
Puppet your right...this is getting WAY out of hand. Talks of police being brought into the situation and Air Canada threatening to drop their contract with the NHL. It's the game people, the players get on the ice knowing damn well that ANYTHING can happen. So Chara hit him into the stanchions, could have been on purpose or could have been a fluke. Thing is, that's the way the game has come to be. It's no longer a game of Wayne Gretzky's or Rocket Richards. It's not a game of who can hit the hardest and fight the most. And if the NHL was so against people hitting the stanchions, board up around the whole rink...
(03-11-2011, 12:24 PM)02ztsian Wrote: I think he knew exactly what he was doing-drive him hard into the stanchion. They all know where those stanchions are.
I'm sure Chara didn't intend to break his neck but he sure meant to direct him into it.

I'm with ya 100%. Chara knew exactly what he was doing. He had Max's number since the little shove he gave him 3 games ago after scoring the OT goal. Did he intent to break his neck? no. Did he intent to put him into the post. f**k yeah he did.

Cant wait to see the Bruins in the playoffs. Karma is a bitch.

I hope Air Canada calls Betmans bluff, that guy is a fawkin idiot and destroying the NHL.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Bettman's a weasel who should have been voted out by the owners a long time ago.

But yeah Chara should be suspended at least 3 games. Looks like he meant it.
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
(03-12-2011, 12:11 AM)Flofocus Wrote: Karma is a bitch.

It sure is, isn't it?...Maybe Max shouldn't have shoved Chara after that goal a couple of game ago...Huh

This is getting overblown due to the severity of the injury, and would the injury have been so bad if it was a normal size human being instead of Chara riding him in to the stantion?
Token Western Canadian
What's blown out of proportion is Montreal wanting a criminal investigation.. No other city would do this.
2009 Focus SES Black Sedan Mods:

FSWerks CAI / F2 Header (non-fouler mod) custom flex / 2.5" FSwerks Stealth Stainless exhaust / FSWerks X3 tune / Autolite 104's / Steeda Strut Tower Bar / FRPP 1.5" drop / FSWerks FLS Bar / H&R 24mm RSB / MOOG endlinks / AEM wideband AFR gauge / 8000K HID Bi-xenon 55W / Tint / 17" Ford Racing Rally Wheels in Black / Coupe tails / Black grille

124whp/129wtq
Alrite; here's my two cents. First, I am a Leafs fan.

Second; majority of penalties in the NHL aren't given based on intent, but on aftermath. High sticking, slashing, tripping. They don't need intent to penalize the player.

Chara pretty much ended someone's career with that hit. I too believe that Chara knew exactly where that stanchion was; they are trained, professional players. It is their business to know these things. I'm sure Chara wanted pacio to get shaken up, just not as injured as he ended up being.

However, as I said, the NHL doesn't penalize on the ice based on intent, so why should this be any different? The NHL needs to discourage these types of hits.
2003 Focus ZX5 Racecar/Perma broke/Storage
2011 Volkswagen Jetta Daily Driver
(03-12-2011, 01:36 AM)SVT ZX3 Wrote: It sure is, isn't it?...Maybe Max shouldn't have shoved Chara after that goal a couple of game ago...Huh

So Chara breaks his neck? Sorry - that isn't Karma. Thats lack of respect for your opponent.
I've met a few former AHLers who didn't make it. One thing they had in common was they had respect or couldn't handle other players who didn't have respect for anyone. The NHL is a dirty, dirty business. It always has been. I've said in the past these posts were a complete safety hazard. There's got to be a better way. Same goes for player's equipment. NHL gear has gotten worst in allot of areas, and that's scary considering where it came from. Chara did his job. If someone thinks for one minute players will all of a sudden 'respect' each other, you're delusional.

Go Leafs Go!!!
Don't make us go into all the bullshit "questionable" crap your beloved homos in red have done over the years. If I had a dollar for every Hab I watched drill someone from behind, fake a bullshit injury, do something stupid or try to kill someone....

Chara never meant to break the guys neck. His intention was to deliver a hit that would take his opponent out of the play. Chara can't help that he's 6'9" and a behemoth. It was a good hit. Youy buddy's head just happened to meet up with the perfectly placed partition.

If it was the other away around, you guys would be parading in the streets setting fires to police cars while waving your toilet seat flags.
Stop crying.

Your reaction is typical.
btw, NHL made a decision on the matter, just game misconduct and interference, nothing further to come to zdeno chara for the hit

at the end of the day, its a game, the players know what can and will happen. wrong place at the wrong time for pacioretty.

from the video, looked like a good hit, a little late but he got his point across. bad spot to get hit on the ice tho
2007 ZX4 2.0l unaturally aspirated
FSwerks stage 2 Turbo kit, Cosworth Intake Manifold, 3" custom HKS turbo back
regular stage 2 @10ps : 232whp/219wtq
stage 2 plus @ 13psi: 278whp/229wtq
Stage 2 plus @15psi: 296whp/240wtq

2013 Focus ST Tuxedo Black - The daily
(03-13-2011, 07:43 AM)ANTHONYD Wrote: Don't make us go into all the bullshit "questionable" crap your beloved homos in red have done over the years. If I had a dollar for every Hab I watched drill someone from behind, fake a bullshit injury, do something stupid or try to kill someone....

Puh-lease Shy everything you just said, can be said about the leafs, or any other team.

Quote:Chara never meant to break the guys neck. His intention was to deliver a hit that would take his opponent out of the play

See my post above, I agree that he never intended to break his neck, but 100% he intended to take his head out into the post. He did exactly what you said, took his guy out. With a cheap shot.

(03-13-2011, 06:21 AM)moon111 Wrote: If someone thinks for one minute players will all of a sudden 'respect' each other, you're delusional.

Many respect eachother. Many choose ot pick the high road when given the chance to absolutely demolish someone. Malkin is 1 of them.

The only thing delusional is leafs fans thinking your team is going to make the playoffs. Big Grin
(03-14-2011, 03:32 AM)Flofocus Wrote:
(03-13-2011, 07:43 AM)ANTHONYD Wrote: Don't make us go into all the bullshit "questionable" crap your beloved homos in red have done over the years. If I had a dollar for every Hab I watched drill someone from behind, fake a bullshit injury, do something stupid or try to kill someone....

Puh-lease Shy everything you just said, can be said about the leafs, or any other team.

Quote:Chara never meant to break the guys neck. His intention was to deliver a hit that would take his opponent out of the play

See my post above, I agree that he never intended to break his neck, but 100% he intended to take his head out into the post. He did exactly what you said, took his guy out. With a cheap shot.

(03-13-2011, 06:21 AM)moon111 Wrote: If someone thinks for one minute players will all of a sudden 'respect' each other, you're delusional.

Many respect eachother. Many choose ot pick the high road when given the chance to absolutely demolish someone. Malkin is 1 of them.

The only thing delusional is leafs fans thinking your team is going to make the playoffs. Big Grin

You must be a Sens fan. Still butthurt over Fisher getting traded away? How about being bottom of the league, below the edmonton oilers??

Big Grin

During the game yesterday (leafs won too), CBC announcers showed a whole bunch of other hits where people were driven into the stanchion. It's common, very, very common from the looks of it. Pacioretty just got unlucky.

However I stand by my original statement that intent shouldn't, but results should be used as the basis for a penalty.
2003 Focus ZX5 Racecar/Perma broke/Storage
2011 Volkswagen Jetta Daily Driver
(03-14-2011, 04:01 AM)Mystake Wrote: You must be a Sens fan.

Fawk no.

Blue, Blanc et Rouge Tabernak.
Big Grin

Here's the problem with all the people saying that Chara intended to drive Pacioretty into teh stanchion (Habs fans you may not want to read this 'cause you won't like it)

What are the odds that during a game, that all admit moves damn fast, that Chara could have actually thought far enough ahead and timed his hit on Pacioretty so that he could have slammed him into that stanchion?

I took only a high school level statistics class I admit, but from what I have seen and know, I think it's safe to say that those odds are about as long as me being able to tap dance...

It was an unfortunate hit, a damaging hit, but a purposely timed and executed hit? No way, unless Chara admits to being a calculus genius and even if he says he is, I'd call bullshit.

P.S. why don't Habs fans get on the fact the stanchions at the Bell Centre have almost zero padding?

If the damn things have to be where they are (and Cherry made a great case to show why they don't have to be there) put more padding on the goddamn things Dodgy

NefCanuck