Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you?
Hey Guys.

I have an opportunity to buy one of these.
[Image: 4639105_1.jpg]

SRT 10 Viper truck in black.
A person in my family has one that's been stored in a barn for pretty much it's whole life.
60k in kilometers, absolute mint, with Volant intake and Magnaflow exhausts.

He's getting rid of it as he doesn't really have time for it, and the mother-in-law isn't a fan. :lol:

I've never been a huge fan of trucks, but this thing is a beast. I drove it up to Mopar fest last summer. This thing is terrifyingly powerful.

I was thinking of converting the focus into a winter beater and driving this thing in the summer.

Should I?

The other option is to pass and buy something new.
Nice truck, but Rams are notorious for getting awful gas mileage. I know trucks don't get great mileage in general, but the Ram is really bad when compared to the rest.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

Who gives a F*** about mileage. That's one cool truck!
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
Oh man... that would be one bad ass truck to pull into the disabled parking spots with Big Grin (assuming a monster like that even came with an automatic)

NefCanuck
I love those trucks, but the thought of owning a gas guzzling Dodge 10 cyl viper engine with the way gas prices are lately... is horrifying.
'14 Escape 2.0t
2012 5dr Ti : Traded
We had one of these in on trade at my old dealer once. A 4 door version. the guy bought a SVT raptor instead. The single cab short box like this one, was the 6 speed I think. The GM and I went for lunch, and he was driving it for a little while. Its 100% premium only and I think requires the 94 not just the 91. It was nearly 200 bucks to fill it up, a year ago when priemium was maybe 1:10 a litre. now its like what 1:44 This one would for sure be more than 120 to fill and you may LITERALLY get like 3-400 km on that if not drivin on the highway, strictly. the 4 door we were in weighed a huge 8000 lbs or so, and was nasty fast! this ones alot smaller and lighter. This truck makes you shake when your done driving it. The owner of my dealership also owned SUMMIT dodge. he said there was some relaiblilty issues as they got driven more and more and the cost of maintaining the thing would make your head spin. one thing goes wrong and your cooked. your not just maintaining a ram, its a frigin viper your maintaining. unless you've got deep pockets. I also remember nobody wanted to buy it, and we auctioned it for like 23 000 bucks. no resale value for these things. no one wants them. too much money to maintain and frightening.
(04-05-2011, 10:51 AM)ANTHONYD Wrote: Hey Guys.

blah blah blah

Should I?

The other option is to pass and buy something new.

I don't think I'd keep it even if given to me ... if you're getting an amazing deal far below market value, perhaps keep it for the summer and sell it in the fall when there's good deals to be had on new cars.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
Thanks for the insight SVTseller, I didn't think of all that stuff. Granted the thing has hardly been driven and for sure she's a thirsty beast, that thing is a thrill to drive.
And to Ken's point...
My thought was to snatch it up and drive it for the summer and wait for a nice edge sport to come off lease.

Affording to fill that up would be staggering.
Still, I'd be driving to the go station back and fourth.

Gonna have to think about it for sure.
I've always been partial to that exact truck. It's a friggin' beast man.
A buddy of mine up north had one and I loved it.. Plus in black it looks best. And since you know it's absolutely mint, I would go for it. One of the baddest trucks you can buy.

If you're worried about gas, just use it as a summer truck and not a DD. But this looks too good to pass up!
2009 Focus SES Black Sedan Mods:

FSWerks CAI / F2 Header (non-fouler mod) custom flex / 2.5" FSwerks Stealth Stainless exhaust / FSWerks X3 tune / Autolite 104's / Steeda Strut Tower Bar / FRPP 1.5" drop / FSWerks FLS Bar / H&R 24mm RSB / MOOG endlinks / AEM wideband AFR gauge / 8000K HID Bi-xenon 55W / Tint / 17" Ford Racing Rally Wheels in Black / Coupe tails / Black grille

124whp/129wtq
pass, gas prices are only going to get higher, so you'll be paying out of your ass just to fill up that beast lol
[Image: 40754_446552998430_710748430_5189862_536...pycopy.jpg]

* 2010 SES * Ingot Silver * Automatic Transmission * FSWorks Cold Air Intake System * Tinted tail lights * Muteki Super Tuner Lug Nuts (Hot Pink) * NuStart 2-way Remote Starter
It would be an absolute shock to the system for sure.
A tank of gas in the focus last me over a month as it is now.

:LOL:

It's my mother-in-law's partner and he's offered it to me way below what it's worth. If he sells it to an everyday guy, he'll ask for the bank.

I'd hate to see what a camping trip in that tank would cost.
Balls fun though for sure.

Youtube these trucks, there's a few daredevils out there with them.[/align]
Cmon Tony, you make more than enough to support that truck... :p

But on the serious side, remember that you just don't have to consider just gas, but insurance and tires as well.
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
New tires were put on in October.
The truck is on blocks and tarped in the barn at the moment.
Brand new skins.
who are you trying to convince here. DO IT. drive it for the summer and sell it.

would be nice to add to the roster of things you have owned.

100% for the viper truck
In Europe FORD is pronounced "\kwa-le-te\"

2008 f250 6.4 powerstroke/twin turbo/crew cab/XLT/4x4 Edge programmer, Cat and Dpf delete, mbrp exhaust. 650hp 850ft/tq.....
2002 red SVT sport'in European Appearance package rims, AEM cai, #4111 of 4788, ranger 12v plug cover, 4500k HID HI/LO, eibach springs, H&R 15mm wheel spacers. sold Sad
2000 yellow zx3 sold
1994 mazda mx3 sold
1992 ford festiva (RIP)
gas prices will go down by summer time, its only because of the pending election that prices just got jacked up recently. look at the trend when the last election was along with 1.30/L a few summers back.... and it came back down to our "norm" for a long time

id say go for it. these trucks are monsters and are pretty damn fast. if you want the truck and you have to justify spending the money on the gas... its not the vehicle for you tho.
2007 ZX4 2.0l unaturally aspirated
FSwerks stage 2 Turbo kit, Cosworth Intake Manifold, 3" custom HKS turbo back
regular stage 2 @10ps : 232whp/219wtq
stage 2 plus @ 13psi: 278whp/229wtq
Stage 2 plus @15psi: 296whp/240wtq

2013 Focus ST Tuxedo Black - The daily
Get an ECO-Boost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Currently - 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4X4 Work Truck. Needs a Super Charger
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified
Sold - 1992 Astro Van CS Sky Blue Stock
Sold - 1994 Excel 2DR HB Teal First Car

I'd say do it, if you're getting it for way below market.... My buddies dealer had 2 sitting on his lot new though, they sold for about 20~30k below sticker.

If you're only driving it to the go station, and gas won't be that much of an issue. Drive it for a summer or 2 and sell it before any real maintenance work has to be done.

I believe special (Viper Approved) Tech's have to do all the work on the truck so it will cost quite a bit for any regular maintenance work...

If you do get it... lol take me out for a rip haha
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
(04-05-2011, 10:51 AM)ANTHONYD Wrote: I've never been a huge fan of trucks, but this thing is a beast. I drove it up to Mopar fest last summer. This thing is terrifyingly powerful.

No way! I had taken the Durango to moparfest last summer! Even though she sat in the parking lot she was all waxed up and shinning brightly.

The real question is, can you afford it? If yes, is it something you want to cross off your bucket list?

I'm a big truck kind of person... and I'd rock an SRT-10 in a heartbeat. I've never been in one but then again, a viper is my dream car so having a viper engine in a truck is just tits.
2003 Focus ZX5 Racecar/Perma broke/Storage
2011 Volkswagen Jetta Daily Driver
I've driven a regular Viper SRT-10. I bet this one would be a blast to drive around. Such a mean and powerful truck. Remember Tony, you only live once.
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
This reminds me of one of my favorite all-time Car & Driver reviews... http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/...-road_test

I say buy it, but are you really going to want to park it at the Go-train lot all day, after what happened to the Focus?
Ryan and the Silver Sedan
++++++++++++++++++++++++
2008 Mazda5 GS/Copper Red Mica/2.3 MZR 5AT/22% Tint
[Image: 49951.png]
2011 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew/Race Red/3.5 TT EcoBoost