FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Would you?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hey Guys.

I have an opportunity to buy one of these.
[Image: 4639105_1.jpg]

SRT 10 Viper truck in black.
A person in my family has one that's been stored in a barn for pretty much it's whole life.
60k in kilometers, absolute mint, with Volant intake and Magnaflow exhausts.

He's getting rid of it as he doesn't really have time for it, and the mother-in-law isn't a fan. :lol:

I've never been a huge fan of trucks, but this thing is a beast. I drove it up to Mopar fest last summer. This thing is terrifyingly powerful.

I was thinking of converting the focus into a winter beater and driving this thing in the summer.

Should I?

The other option is to pass and buy something new.
Nice truck, but Rams are notorious for getting awful gas mileage. I know trucks don't get great mileage in general, but the Ram is really bad when compared to the rest.
Who gives a F*** about mileage. That's one cool truck!
Oh man... that would be one bad ass truck to pull into the disabled parking spots with Big Grin (assuming a monster like that even came with an automatic)

NefCanuck
I love those trucks, but the thought of owning a gas guzzling Dodge 10 cyl viper engine with the way gas prices are lately... is horrifying.
We had one of these in on trade at my old dealer once. A 4 door version. the guy bought a SVT raptor instead. The single cab short box like this one, was the 6 speed I think. The GM and I went for lunch, and he was driving it for a little while. Its 100% premium only and I think requires the 94 not just the 91. It was nearly 200 bucks to fill it up, a year ago when priemium was maybe 1:10 a litre. now its like what 1:44 This one would for sure be more than 120 to fill and you may LITERALLY get like 3-400 km on that if not drivin on the highway, strictly. the 4 door we were in weighed a huge 8000 lbs or so, and was nasty fast! this ones alot smaller and lighter. This truck makes you shake when your done driving it. The owner of my dealership also owned SUMMIT dodge. he said there was some relaiblilty issues as they got driven more and more and the cost of maintaining the thing would make your head spin. one thing goes wrong and your cooked. your not just maintaining a ram, its a frigin viper your maintaining. unless you've got deep pockets. I also remember nobody wanted to buy it, and we auctioned it for like 23 000 bucks. no resale value for these things. no one wants them. too much money to maintain and frightening.
(04-05-2011, 10:51 AM)ANTHONYD Wrote: [ -> ]Hey Guys.

blah blah blah

Should I?

The other option is to pass and buy something new.

I don't think I'd keep it even if given to me ... if you're getting an amazing deal far below market value, perhaps keep it for the summer and sell it in the fall when there's good deals to be had on new cars.
Thanks for the insight SVTseller, I didn't think of all that stuff. Granted the thing has hardly been driven and for sure she's a thirsty beast, that thing is a thrill to drive.
And to Ken's point...
My thought was to snatch it up and drive it for the summer and wait for a nice edge sport to come off lease.

Affording to fill that up would be staggering.
Still, I'd be driving to the go station back and fourth.

Gonna have to think about it for sure.
I've always been partial to that exact truck. It's a friggin' beast man.
A buddy of mine up north had one and I loved it.. Plus in black it looks best. And since you know it's absolutely mint, I would go for it. One of the baddest trucks you can buy.

If you're worried about gas, just use it as a summer truck and not a DD. But this looks too good to pass up!
pass, gas prices are only going to get higher, so you'll be paying out of your ass just to fill up that beast lol
It would be an absolute shock to the system for sure.
A tank of gas in the focus last me over a month as it is now.

:LOL:

It's my mother-in-law's partner and he's offered it to me way below what it's worth. If he sells it to an everyday guy, he'll ask for the bank.

I'd hate to see what a camping trip in that tank would cost.
Balls fun though for sure.

Youtube these trucks, there's a few daredevils out there with them.[/align]
Cmon Tony, you make more than enough to support that truck... :p

But on the serious side, remember that you just don't have to consider just gas, but insurance and tires as well.
New tires were put on in October.
The truck is on blocks and tarped in the barn at the moment.
Brand new skins.
who are you trying to convince here. DO IT. drive it for the summer and sell it.

would be nice to add to the roster of things you have owned.

100% for the viper truck
gas prices will go down by summer time, its only because of the pending election that prices just got jacked up recently. look at the trend when the last election was along with 1.30/L a few summers back.... and it came back down to our "norm" for a long time

id say go for it. these trucks are monsters and are pretty damn fast. if you want the truck and you have to justify spending the money on the gas... its not the vehicle for you tho.
Get an ECO-Boost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'd say do it, if you're getting it for way below market.... My buddies dealer had 2 sitting on his lot new though, they sold for about 20~30k below sticker.

If you're only driving it to the go station, and gas won't be that much of an issue. Drive it for a summer or 2 and sell it before any real maintenance work has to be done.

I believe special (Viper Approved) Tech's have to do all the work on the truck so it will cost quite a bit for any regular maintenance work...

If you do get it... lol take me out for a rip haha
(04-05-2011, 10:51 AM)ANTHONYD Wrote: [ -> ]I've never been a huge fan of trucks, but this thing is a beast. I drove it up to Mopar fest last summer. This thing is terrifyingly powerful.

No way! I had taken the Durango to moparfest last summer! Even though she sat in the parking lot she was all waxed up and shinning brightly.

The real question is, can you afford it? If yes, is it something you want to cross off your bucket list?

I'm a big truck kind of person... and I'd rock an SRT-10 in a heartbeat. I've never been in one but then again, a viper is my dream car so having a viper engine in a truck is just tits.
I've driven a regular Viper SRT-10. I bet this one would be a blast to drive around. Such a mean and powerful truck. Remember Tony, you only live once.
This reminds me of one of my favorite all-time Car & Driver reviews... http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/...-road_test

I say buy it, but are you really going to want to park it at the Go-train lot all day, after what happened to the Focus?
Pages: 1 2 3