Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
grinding type sound in front end
my 07 has started to grinding rubbing sound when i turn right, I thought of bearing or cv joint but i looked at both and from what i thought if it was a bearing there would be some play in the wheel but there is none aswell no movment in cv shaft?

Any ideas? Anyone else have this issue?
Mostlikely the wheel bearing. You really cant see the moement unless its really bad.
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
(08-16-2011, 01:19 AM)Focus man. Focus. Wrote: Mostlikely the wheel bearing. You really cant see the moement unless its really bad.

it'll sound like metal grinding on metal, at least mine did.

my rear wheel bearing had play in it (and a bunch lol), front wheel bearing was only noise.

hands at 12 and 6 is to check for wheel bearing play, 9 and 3 is for steering play.
2003 Focus ZX5 Racecar/Perma broke/Storage
2011 Volkswagen Jetta Daily Driver
Jack your front up and then lift the rim and tire up and down, if there's play then it's your wheel bearing.
thats the thing there is no play?
Make sure your caliper isn't dragging on the rotor, and also make sure you're not worn through on the brake pads themselves. That could also cause the grinding noise.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
definately wheel bearing, my cheapo foci i just picked up needs both fronts done, and holy crap is it a horrific sound, so yeah, go get yourself some bearings, cheap and easy fix
05 focus se SLAMMED! 5 speed tranny swap with exedy stage 3 hypersingle clutch, raceland coils, MBRP exhaust, FSWERKS stage 2 turbo kit. Massive adjusting camber, toe arms. Steeda's HUGE rear sway bar with upgraded links. Roll bar in the back no backseats. no radio and tons of gauges!

...because RACECAR! haha

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  rattle / wobble sound front right wheel zx3wantobesvt 9 3,744 08-26-2013, 01:50 PM
Last Post: VanFocus
  Creaking Sound in Front-End moon111 9 4,134 04-29-2012, 07:57 AM
Last Post: moon111
  Clunking Sound In Front End MAlby7 2 1,356 08-02-2006, 05:21 AM
Last Post: MAlby7