Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
need a little 411 on tablets
Wow, sex eh? Size matters when your getting older and the eyesight isn't what it used to be.

I won't look at the playbook becasue of the size.

And the wife doesn't look at anyone else but me.

And I was surprised by your answer Anthony. Care to elaborate?
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
I will admit that I have no desire to own a tablet. I see no point in it. If I were to be interested in any of them, it'd be the ones that are the most flexible. I understand that the Samsung is actually capable of a heck of a lot, and is compatible with a lot more programs, devices, and whatnot than Apple's offerings.

Do you need a tablet in the firstplace, or can you get by with one of those mini laptops you see going on sale everywhere in the last 6 months?
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
Meford, to Athony's comments... the samsung is technically the better tablet... Better hardware, faster processor, open operating system. What it lacks is the apple distortion field and itunes.

But if all your friends have iPads, you're going to feel a little left out from time to time.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

(12-12-2011, 05:26 AM)darkpuppet Wrote: Meford, to Athony's comments... the samsung is technically the better tablet... Better hardware, faster processor, open operating system. What it lacks is the apple distortion field and itunes.

But if all your friends have iPads, you're going to feel a little left out from time to time.

+ as an apple guy i can admit we r dicks and usually look down on anyone without a iphone, macbook, ipad Big Grin

just sayin..
02' SONIC BLUE, SVTF #2686 OF 4788
K&N FIPK
SCT XCAL-2 POWERED BY STEEDA
SCREAMIN' DEMON COIL PACK & LIVEWIRES
STEEDA STRUT TOWER BRACE (SONIC BLUE)
STEEDA STS
STEEDA REAR POLY MOTOR MOUNT
DEI HEADER WRAP
MBRP 2.5" EXHAUST
EBC GREENSTUFF PADS
EBC SLOTTED AND DIMPLED ROTORS
RUSSELL STEEL BRAIDED LINES
EURO SVT RIMS 17" General Exclaim UHP
ALPINE H/U

Winter package includes Euro SVT RIMS with Nokian WR'S
Well an update....

I haven't bought s**t, but looked at the iPad and frankly, meh.

So the wife and I are having huge issues with the puter we have now. Long story short, the first thing I am looking at now is a laptop.

So, what should I look for in a laptop and any great deals I should consider would be appreciated.

I know nothing about this stuff, am a user of basic email and internet, and don't game but may use the laptop for movies or tv.

My thinking is to buy the laptop now and wait until spring to get something like the new ipad or the galaxy, but the need right now is for a laptop with basic capabilities.

Thanks.
How about this at $399?

http://ca.gateway.com/gw/en/CA/content/m....WM902.029

(01-04-2012, 12:27 PM)meford4u Wrote: Well an update....

I haven't bought s**t, but looked at the iPad and frankly, meh.

So the wife and I are having huge issues with the puter we have now. Long story short, the first thing I am looking at now is a laptop.

So, what should I look for in a laptop and any great deals I should consider would be appreciated.

I know nothing about this stuff, am a user of basic email and internet, and don't game but may use the laptop for movies or tv.

My thinking is to buy the laptop now and wait until spring to get something like the new ipad or the galaxy, but the need right now is for a laptop with basic capabilities.

Thanks.
How about this at $399?

http://ca.gateway.com/gw/en/CA/content/m....WM902.029

I bought a couple of refurbished Gateway's 3 years ago and have had no issues with them ... that computer is more than enough for what you need and it's a good price point - it also has an HDMI output which is really good at that price.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
I don't typically recommend Gateways as they've had some problems in the past with build quality of the laptops, but that's a good price for the hardware...
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

my brother's gateway laptop lasted a year
after that, the screen started to crap out.

I steer clear of any 2nd or 3rd "class" hardware.

I use an Asus laptop and that's about as low-end as I'll go. You get what you pay for in terms of those s**t laptops.
Don't bother with the netbooks either - keyboard too small, overall computer is too slow. It's like going back to dial up.
2003 Focus ZX5 Racecar/Perma broke/Storage
2011 Volkswagen Jetta Daily Driver
my dell netbook was awesome, great little machine, last thing I would say about it is its slow.

Then my son got his hands on it...still cant find half the keys to the keyboard to this day.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Basically for what you want to do, surf/videos....basically anything they are selling laptop/wise will probably handle what you want it to do. I use an old P4 laptop for my sofa surfing and it works good enough for me. I personally like heavier notebooks with large metal hinges as the hinges always seem to break on me, that and I like a larger keyboard.

I personally prefer the Lenovo Thinkpad notebooks over much of what is out there now.
.. Ok so I've leased 4 different laptops over a span of about 6.5 years.

The first two were Dells, the 2nd two were Lenovo's

I will never, ever, EVER get another Dell. EVER. Biggest pieces of s**t I have ever seen - the chassis had zero reinforcement which subsequently led to, in those 4 years, several harddrives, at least 2-3 motherboards, a few keyboards, i think the trackpad was even replaced once or twice, the chassis itself was replaced once. I can't think of any thing else that broke on it. The screen was shattered once but that an accident (brother sat on it). Batteries weren't the best either. Oh, that's right - I think my burner broke once too. World's weakest hinges too - I have seen SEVERAL where the screen woulda been opened too fast and ripped the hinges off the motherboard (OFF THE MOTHERBOARD... FFS Dell worst design ever)

Only good thing about those dells was the accidental/at fault insurance of which I used it a ton. By the time I was done with either laptop (D600 and a D610) they were scratched to s**t, the palm rest had my palms imprinted on them(due to it getting really freaking hot) and the keyboards were flimsy and about to fall apart. The screen's hinges also weren't tight so the screen flapped around, so to speak. frig, there's another thing that broke - the clip that held the screen down broke on me once too - so that's a lcd screen enclosure. Another nail in the coffin? The hard drive was located DIRECTLY underneath the left palm rest - you lean on your laptop just that slight bit too much and your wrist would be pressing INTO the harddrive. So, there was no reinforcement and there was no thermal barrier either - it got freaking hot under that wrist some times.

My lenovos OTOH, the first one (also a 2 year lease) NEVER broke. Yes it was scratched by the time I was done with it, it was only regular wear and tear. I think one corner of the chassis had a slight crack in it but nothing serious and actually barely noticeable. Now that I think about it, the back corners of my Dell were cracked, chipped and paint was flaking off. The dell also got EXTREMELY hot.

Anyway, so the lenovo had it's battery replaced once, about 1.5 years into the lease. The screen was titanium reinforced and you knew it was too. The scratches on it were more like rubbing and it was just from going in an out of my backpack. It would've been a T60p.

The 2nd lenovo I had for only for about 3 months (T61p? IDK anymore) and then actually brought it back and was given a T500 for a couple months instead.

I'd buy another Lenovo in a heartbeat. I'd probably do the same for Asus because I think most problems with mine have been due to Windows 7 being s**t. (It's slow when it shouldn't be). However the keyboard after a year is in great condition - worn down, but good. Only problem I'm actually having with it is the trackpad mouse buttons are starting to get flakey. That and when the laptop gets warm the trackpad isn't as responsive so i just blow a bit of air on it for a few seconds and that's usually enough to cool it down to where it'll work again. Pretty nice about this laptop is that it doesn't get overly hot either. I've never felt it be scorching hot.

My mom has a Hewlett Packard netbook - small keyboard, small screen, small processor. I tried using it and after 30 seconds of waiting for pages to load I said fawk it and couldn't be bothered. My old iPhone 3G loaded pages faster.

Hope this helps.

edit: LAST piece of info - I saw about 5-600 Dell D600s and Dell D610's get smashed over those 4 years. We all had one - I tried to take decent care of mine but there was only so much you could do to protect them. If mine wasn't enough to convince me to never buy another dell, everyone else's experience would be.

I'm sure Dell has come a long way since, too, but I'll never buy a laptop that doesn't have solid metal reinforcement. screw this plastic BS.
2003 Focus ZX5 Racecar/Perma broke/Storage
2011 Volkswagen Jetta Daily Driver
^^ lol your poor laptops. My old D600 is still being used, only thing ever fail is the original HDD, used in the back of a tire shop right now to keep inventory. 3 years there and still going strong Tongue

Sounds like you need a rugged notebook like this http://www.getac.com/

This notebook isn't bad, maybe more than you want to spend tho
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/category/...ba28bden01
yeah...same here, never had issues with my Dell's. I also take care of my stuff though.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Thanks For everyone's help. I bought a Lenovo IdeaPad Z570 Laptop for the wife and will look at the new tablets later this year.

Got a great deal but have to wait 4-6 weeks for delivery, but got it for under $700(that's about $400 off).

And thanks again all(including the G ru puppet)

(01-07-2012, 06:31 AM)meford4u Wrote: Thanks For everyone's help. I bought a Lenovo IdeaPad Z570 Laptop for the wife and will look at the new tablets later this year.

Got a great deal but have to wait 4-6 weeks for delivery, but got it for under $700(that's about $400 off).

A little late but I was offered a 16gb ipad 3g at work last night for $300. If someone was to get ipad what benefits does the 3g offer.
Sorry to hijack the thread but it was initially about the ipad Smile
Old enough to know me limit, yet young enough to exceed it.
(01-08-2012, 02:19 AM)CanadaSVT Wrote:
(01-07-2012, 06:31 AM)meford4u Wrote: Thanks For everyone's help. I bought a Lenovo IdeaPad Z570 Laptop for the wife and will look at the new tablets later this year.

A little late but I was offered a 16gb ipad 3g at work last night for $300. If someone was to get ipad what benefits does the 3g offer.
Sorry to hijack the thread but it was initially about the ipad Smile

Hey, if you don't want that, then I will buy it.

And the 3g allows you to go anywhere and be wireless, and not rely on wifi connection. You cna get internet connection anywhere in the world for $15/month. It's like the evolution of the home stereo to the walkman. Portability and no wires.

see what I mean about irony? - darkpuppet