Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gas mileage
I found out that my focus has a different trans all together than your 07 so, as of yet there is no firmware update. Just thought I let you know.

(03-15-2012, 10:05 AM)scubadiver Wrote: Thanks for the reply on gas mileage they said it would take about 5000 kms to see how good mpg it is so I'll have to wait and see. But what you are talking about seems right when you stop and think about it. Just disappointed about all the car manufacturers that they have the technology to have better mpg but they are not wanting to use it. Think if we consumers get together and say we want better mpg then the manufacturers would have to step up to the plate, so to speak.

(03-14-2012, 09:30 PM)NOS2Go4Me Wrote: I'm not sure how the break-in period for the new engines compares with the older Duratec models, but with my Duratec (07 ZX5 SES auto) I didn't start to see "real" fuel economy until at least 6000KMs.

Also, have you considered switching to synthetic motor oil? I find it actually does bring your overall fuel economy up a bit and the increase in cost isn't that bad for a 4-cyl engine. Plus, you can stretch our your oil change intervals some. Again, this takes some of the bite out of the yearly cost difference for synthetic vs. dino-grade.

Another thing that comes to mind is have you talked to your dealer about the firmware update for the DCT (automatic trans)? The revamped firmware makes a world of difference in driveability and it even seems to be bolstering the fuel economy numbers for more than a few people.

I have a fairly modded Zetec with almost 338,000KMs on it - I average 7.8-8.5L/100KMs on the highway at 130+. I get down near 7L flat at a 100 KM/H dead run... but I never seem to be able to hold it there for long Wink Even better at 90KM/H on the TransCanada up here when I have nowhere to be in particular.

(03-16-2012, 10:24 AM)scubadiver Wrote: I found out that my focus has a different trans all together than your 07 so, as of yet there is no firmware update. Just thought I let you know. I found out too that the break in for 2012 is between 5000 to 8000

(03-15-2012, 10:05 AM)scubadiver Wrote: Thanks for the reply on gas mileage they said it would take about 5000 kms to see how good mpg it is so I'll have to wait and see. But what you are talking about seems right when you stop and think about it. Just disappointed about all the car manufacturers that they have the technology to have better mpg but they are not wanting to use it. Think if we consumers get together and say we want better mpg then the manufacturers would have to step up to the plate, so to speak.

(03-14-2012, 09:30 PM)NOS2Go4Me Wrote: I'm not sure how the break-in period for the new engines compares with the older Duratec models, but with my Duratec (07 ZX5 SES auto) I didn't start to see "real" fuel economy until at least 6000KMs.

Also, have you considered switching to synthetic motor oil? I find it actually does bring your overall fuel economy up a bit and the increase in cost isn't that bad for a 4-cyl engine. Plus, you can stretch our your oil change intervals some. Again, this takes some of the bite out of the yearly cost difference for synthetic vs. dino-grade.

Another thing that comes to mind is have you talked to your dealer about the firmware update for the DCT (automatic trans)? The revamped firmware makes a world of difference in driveability and it even seems to be bolstering the fuel economy numbers for more than a few people.

I have a fairly modded Zetec with almost 338,000KMs on it - I average 7.8-8.5L/100KMs on the highway at 130+. I get down near 7L flat at a 100 KM/H dead run... but I never seem to be able to hold it there for long Wink Even better at 90KM/H on the TransCanada up here when I have nowhere to be in particular.

He's talking about the recent update for your 2012 dual clutch tranny - having said that, if you got your car in the past couple of weeks or so, it may already have had the update done.

Early examples of your transmission (which is technically a manual transmission with two computer controlled clutches that simulate an automatic transmission) had a lot of driveability problems that were fixed with new firmware.

(03-16-2012, 10:24 AM)scubadiver Wrote: I found out that my focus has a different trans all together than your 07 so, as of yet there is no firmware update. Just thought I let you know.

(03-16-2012, 10:24 AM)scubadiver Wrote: I found out that my focus has a different trans all together than your 07 so, as of yet there is no firmware update. Just thought I let you know. I found out too that the break in for 2012 is between 5000 to 8000

2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
100,000km auto and I get 10.2l/100km mostly city with OD/Off and some driving 80. No highway.
(05-15-2012, 09:53 AM)esrevenge Wrote: 100,000km auto and I get 10.2l/100km mostly city with OD/Off and some driving 80. No highway.

Hi thanks for the reply. I was wondering what is the year and model of your vehicle? Mine is getting 15.1 kms per litre or about 35.5 mpg the mileage as of right now is 6800 kms. I have heard that when the oil change comes up change to a thicker grade. At 1 time they were having problems with engine knock and other things that can kill the engine.

Again thanks for the reply and looking froward to see more posts Smile
(05-16-2012, 07:25 AM)scubadiver Wrote:
(05-15-2012, 09:53 AM)esrevenge Wrote: 100,000km auto and I get 10.2l/100km mostly city with OD/Off and some driving 80. No highway.

Hi thanks for the reply. I was wondering what is the year and model of your vehicle? Mine is getting 15.1 kms per litre or about 35.5 mpg the mileage as of right now is 6800 kms. I have heard that when the oil change comes up change to a thicker grade. At 1 time they were having problems with engine knock and other things that can kill the engine.

Again thanks for the reply and looking froward to see more posts Smile

No problem! I love my Focus, this forum is pretty slow not many people post here.

Yikes if your car is only at 6800km it must be a new 2012? (Congrats on the new Focus!!!!!!) My Focus is only a 2000 LOL, so its pretty old, I just bought it last week.

I dont even want to compare my old car to your 2012, but its a Focus sedan SE zetec auto model-year 2000.

If youre getting 36mpg thats awesome! - I get 23mpg Sad Sorry I dont know anything about the grade of oil...

Take care bro, see you around.
Did an impromptude gas mileage test this morning, 49 kilometers of mostly highway driving, speeds ranging from 80 to 105 kph., 42.2 miles per gallon. A 2012 Focus SEL, 17 inch tires, 33,000 kilometers on the odometer.
Proud member of the CDan nation.
2000 White ZTS: retired
2012 Frosted Glass SEL: active
K&N Filter.....
42.2mpg is pretty good, my focus gets about ~ 22mpg max doing those speeds. Hence why I have a summer vehicle to give me 65mpg.
(05-16-2012, 11:03 PM)hardk0re Wrote: 42.2mpg is pretty good, my focus gets about ~ 22mpg max doing those speeds. Hence why I have a summer vehicle to give me 65mpg.

I too have a summer vehicle....I roll down the windows on the winter vehicle.......except when the thunderstorms arrive.
Proud member of the CDan nation.
2000 White ZTS: retired
2012 Frosted Glass SEL: active
K&N Filter.....