Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So I'm Looking At A New Subaru.
NefCanuck,Feb 9 2009, 11:27 AM Wrote:
ZTWsquared,Feb 9 2009, 10:43 AM Wrote:
ANTHONYD,Feb 9 2009, 11:09 AM Wrote:LOL.

I'm trying to keep the size of the car down.
Edge is as big as i'll go, and that's even big.

I'm not whipped, I just want a car my wife isn't going to roll her eyes at every time I wash it.
:lol:
[right][snapback]280765[/snapback][/right]
Fusion AWD + Hidden Hitch + small utility trailer :::: problem solved.
[right][snapback]280767[/snapback][/right]

UH, maybe I missed that part in my owners manual but where exactly does it say that a Fusion AWD is okayed by Ford to tow a trailer? :blink:

Anthony, if you're going for a new Edge, pony up the extra cash for the AWD and the ESC (Electronic Skid Control) The Fusion and Edge share the same AWD setup mechanically and it's a beast in the Fusion (a more thirsty beast than a FWD Edge yes, but a beast none the less)

...and they have mods for the Edge now (including a nice bodykit from 3D Carbon) :lol:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]280772[/snapback][/right]

ESC is actually RSC with AdvancTrac on the Escape (and it's standard on all models), same guts as the Fusion (same AWD again, it's all Haldex guts) and it tows 3500 lbs (08 spec, anyways) with a class 2 hitch. Most guys fit class 3s to get the more common 2" receiver and a plethora more available toys for the hitch and just "tow within their means".

The scary thing is that I just looked up the Edge and Fusion towing specs - Fusion is NOT rated to tow at any trimline/driveline package and Edge is rated to a max of 3500lbs for all except the Sport model, which is NOT rated to tow.

Not sure why, but there you have it.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
from Anthony's list I think i'd go with Edge with AWD but then again I have never drove one...but they are growing on me
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
The best part about the Edge was the duel sunroofs. As a big guy, I've never been able to get a sunroof...mainly because I need the extra inch in headroom.

This next rig will have a sunroof.
Edge AWD Or Murano Is what I was looking at when I was shopping around for a CUV. As much as I hate to say it the RDX / MDX are really great CUV aswell not sure if you wanna go with an Acura though
DruZX3 You Tube Page
My Rides on Car Domain

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 - Daily Driver
2008 Lincoln MKX Limited Edition - Grocery Getter
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Rode and Sold
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade - Offroaded and Sold
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X - R.I.P. Electrical Fire
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 - Traded in Now DrunkinMonkeys Car
2003 Ford Taurus Wagon - Inherited Drove and Sold
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 Turbo - Award Winning 336 WHP - Parted and Scraped
1990 Ford Festiva - My 1st Car

[Image: ZX3PixelCarEngineVIEW.png]
ZX3_2NV,Feb 9 2009, 03:04 PM Wrote:Edge AWD Or Murano Is what I was looking at when I was shopping around for a CUV. As much as I hate to say it the RDX / MDX are really great CUV aswell not sure if you wanna go with an Acura though
[right][snapback]280792[/snapback][/right]

From the people I've spoken to though, the Murano is a really thirsty vehicle.

I like their interior but the exterior makes me think of a ball of Playdoh that a kid has been mashing in their hands...

NefCanuck
NOS2Go4Me,Feb 9 2009, 01:08 PM Wrote:

I'm not whipped, I just want a car my wife isn't going to roll her eyes at every time I wash it.

UH, maybe I missed that part in my owners manual but where exactly does it say that a Fusion AWD is okayed by Ford to tow a trailer? :blink:

Anthony, if you're going for a new Edge, pony up the extra cash for the AWD and the ESC (Electronic Skid Control) The Fusion and Edge share the same AWD setup mechanically and it's a beast in the Fusion (a more thirsty beast than a FWD Edge yes, but a beast none the less)

...and they have mods for the Edge now (including a nice bodykit from 3D Carbon) :lol:

NefCanuck

ESC is actually RSC with AdvancTrac on the Escape (and it's standard on all models), same guts as the Fusion (same AWD again, it's all Haldex guts) and it tows 3500 lbs (08 spec, anyways) with a class 2 hitch. Most guys fit class 3s to get the more common 2" receiver and a plethora more available toys for the hitch and just "tow within their means".

The scary thing is that I just looked up the Edge and Fusion towing specs - Fusion is NOT rated to tow at any trimline/driveline package and Edge is rated to a max of 3500lbs for all except the Sport model, which is NOT rated to tow.

[right][snapback]280781[/snapback][/right]

Ah, I didn't know the technical details of what ESC actually was with the Ford vehicles.

As to why the Fusion can't tow anything, maybe it's the way the Edge is built vs. the Fusion? (I could see the Edge getting different structural bracing owing to the vehicles different size vs. a Fusion.

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Feb 9 2009, 04:33 PM Wrote:
NOS2Go4Me,Feb 9 2009, 01:08 PM Wrote:

NefCanuck

[right][snapback]280781[/snapback][/right]

Ah, I didn't know the technical details of what ESC actually was with the Ford vehicles.

As to why the Fusion can't tow anything, maybe it's the way the Edge is built vs. the Fusion? (I could see the Edge getting different structural bracing owing to the vehicles different size vs. a Fusion.

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]280795[/snapback][/right]

It makes sense that the heavier vehicle would be rated to tow more, even with the same drivetrain ... but I think this is more about Ford changing it's "mind" about what is and isn't technically allowable -- case in point was their redefinition of oil change intervals to 10k a while back -- no problem for the engines or warranty costs but big problem for the revenue streams of the dealers -- so Ford changed it back. Nothing about the vehicles changed though.

In terms of trailer towing ... from 2000 through 2007 the Focus was rated by Ford to tow 454kg (1,000 lbs) and from what I can tell, so was the earlier Fusions -- there's lots on teh internets about a 1,000 towing capacity for Fusion. What changed wasn't the vehicle or its capabilities but more Ford's marketing/warranty position.

Additionally, there are quite a few aftermarket options for hitches for Fusion ... and it's been my experience that the aftermarket typically will not engineer a hitch for a vehicle that isn't rated to tow.

Although I normally just use it for the bike rack, I don't have any qualms about using my Fusion to tow a 120 lb trailer and a few hundred pounds of lumber etc ... regardless if what the owner's guide says ... (now to engineer that stealth wiring hookup harness).
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
ZTWsquared,Feb 9 2009, 03:53 PM Wrote:It makes sense that the heavier vehicle would be rated to tow more, even with the same drivetrain ... but I think this is more about Ford changing it's "mind" about what is and isn't technically allowable -- case in point was their redefinition of oil change intervals to 10k a while back -- no problem for the engines or warranty costs but big problem for the revenue streams of the dealers -- so Ford changed it back. Nothing about the vehicles changed though.
[right][snapback]280800[/snapback][/right]

Waitasec, you mean they changed the severe service interval back to 3 months / 5,000km for the '09 MY?

The '08 MY is 6 months / 8,000km on severe service duty which is what I follow.

Would explain Dixie Ford's not being able to compute a six month interval when calling me for service appts. though <_<

NefCanuck
acura - WAY too expensive (nice as hell though)
honda - way too expensive for a car that even at 48gs still felt unfinished inside.
murano - again, WAY too expensive
rogue - interesting car, but not quite right.
Anthony are you sure you really want to buy a brand new car?

Why not a 2 year old, you would save tons of money. I'm sure you can find one of those SUV's/CUV's in really good condition......
Take it to your mechanic to make sure its drivetrain is good, dealer would detail the car......it will look nice and clean.....buying brand new rides is so much money.....aagghhh
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
NikiterZTS,Feb 9 2009, 08:19 PM Wrote:Anthony are you sure you really want to buy a brand new car?

Why not a 2 year old, you would save tons of money. I'm sure you can find one of those SUV's/CUV's in really good condition......
Take it to your mechanic to make sure its drivetrain is good, dealer would detail the car......it will look nice and clean.....buying brand new rides is so much money.....aagghhh
[right][snapback]280808[/snapback][/right]

Depends on what he's trying to accomplish though, from what he's said they buy cars and run them into the ground. Only way to have a good shot at "getting your money's worth" is to start from brand new, take care of it like you want to kep it and then the rest is luck.

A two or three year old car will save you $ in the long run, but unless you know the car's exact service history & driving conditions, your odds get a whole lot worse.

NefCanuck
I was considering a slightly-used (1 or 2-year old) Nissan X-Trail until I found out they're 4-cyl only. Sadly, I find them to be a better all-around package than the Rogue that replaces them.

The Acura's nice, I suppose... but it's an overpriced Honda. If you want the "name" or the perceived luxury level, then it works for you. Personally, the only "name" brand vehicles that work for me over the years are the ones with significantly-improved performance (ex. Acura NSX, which is a Honda overseas).

As for the 48Gs Honda... *CHOOOOKE* wha? :o I'd stay away at that price.

Murano - nice to look at for some (me included), but even for the sporty moves it doesn't command the sticker they're asking for in my eyes.

If you're more urban-based, you might want to revisit a slightly-used CX-7 that just came off a lease.

The Hyundai Santa Fe gets a lot of rave reviews from the folks at work (2-3 owned here) but I always found them too bubbly for me. They used to have a dedicated 4WD locking system (in addition to auto-4WD) but I can't remember if that was discontinued.

I looked at the Tuscon for 5 seconds till I realized it was MUCH smaller inside than the Escape.

And the one I'd recommend that you find with 1-2 years' worth of use on it if it's not an Escape? RAV-4. The V6 makes it quite the little barn burner and their lack of popularity leads to dealers making nice concessions to make a sale.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
My dad's X-Trail is quite nice, it's actually my stepmothers daily driver. I find them exceptionally roomy, good replacement for the fofo wagon, selectable 2/4 wheel on the fly, decent on gas, conservative interior, lots of leg room for adults in the back seat. My dad drives it comfortably, he's bigger/taller than you (that's based on the last time I actually saw you inperson, 1.5/2 yrs ago).
Might be worth a look at.
I drove the X trail about 8 years ago as a rental. We beat the crap out of that car.

And it died.

The door getting into the back seat was wayyyyyyyy too small. Gas mileage for a 4 banger was attrocious and the fit and finish was the worst I have ever seen.

Maybe they have changed, but I would never get in another one and certainly never recommend one.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
Anthony, Have you and Jen checked out the Outlander from Mitsubishi?, I have one as my work car at the moment and I absolutely love the thing, it's 4wd is selectable, and it's very capable in the snow and ice, I really have driven the crap out of this thing at work looking for cars as I was promoted, and I went over snow drifts 2 - 3 feet deep and it went thru it with out an issue. plus you can get a 4 cyl, or a V6. another option for bigger is the endevor, but from my experence in using one they are very thursty.

the Edge is a great CUV, one of the best I've driven, and they come in so many different packages including an ST as I've seen and driven one here. (was red & black)

I will say this about the Rouge, it's a capable SUV, but the biggest down fall of it is the fact the rear cargo area is too small, and the rear windows are tiny!
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
Hey MeFord.

Is there any "insider info" I should know about the Edge?

Good call on the outlander great CUV and I would deffenetly look around for a gently used vehicle.
DruZX3 You Tube Page
My Rides on Car Domain

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 - Daily Driver
2008 Lincoln MKX Limited Edition - Grocery Getter
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Rode and Sold
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade - Offroaded and Sold
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X - R.I.P. Electrical Fire
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 - Traded in Now DrunkinMonkeys Car
2003 Ford Taurus Wagon - Inherited Drove and Sold
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 Turbo - Award Winning 336 WHP - Parted and Scraped
1990 Ford Festiva - My 1st Car

[Image: ZX3PixelCarEngineVIEW.png]
ZX3_2NV,Feb 10 2009, 01:58 PM Wrote:Good call on the outlander great CUV and I would deffenetly look around for a gently used vehicle.
[right][snapback]280869[/snapback][/right]

lol come to my work we have 54 2008's, and 12 2003-2006's. I love the newer 2007+ my 2008 that I have now is great, the seats are so comforable.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
ANTHONYD,Feb 9 2009, 09:00 AM Wrote:We also took the Edge limited sport AWD for a rip...nice too, and still in the price range. Are there still people around here that can hook a guy up with deals on Ford?

Yep, there are still a few of us that have not lost our jobs yet.
Old enough to know me limit, yet young enough to exceed it.
ANTHONYD,Feb 10 2009, 09:59 AM Wrote:Hey MeFord.

Is there any  "insider info" I should know about the Edge?
[right][snapback]280823[/snapback][/right]
Insider info?

Buy one and I get to work for a minute longer.

And we all can get you a discount. Just ask.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.