Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's talk about trucks....
Does Raptor come with Ecoboost?
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
(07-07-2012, 05:04 AM)NikiterZTS Wrote: Does Raptor come with Ecoboost?

Nope - 6.2L V8
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
Why no talk of the Nissan Titan?
150 ecoboost all day. My f150 was awesome and it was a 5.4 auto 2007. Never had an issue and beat the crap outta it
2007 ZX4 2.0l unaturally aspirated
FSwerks stage 2 Turbo kit, Cosworth Intake Manifold, 3" custom HKS turbo back
regular stage 2 @10ps : 232whp/219wtq
stage 2 plus @ 13psi: 278whp/229wtq
Stage 2 plus @15psi: 296whp/240wtq

2013 Focus ST Tuxedo Black - The daily
There's so much B.S. in truck advertisement, etc. Exactly what axle ratios are used in a comparison? Do you think Dodge is going to set up their standard truck for towing when they offer the Cummins? I use to love Dodge advertising their mid-size trucks as best in class when no-one else made a mid-size. Or Chevy would say their motor was the biggest and baddest when the competition offered another step up. These head-to-head comparison have to be closely analyzed. Honestly to me, more has to be said about the people/dealer then the vehicle one chooses.
(07-09-2012, 12:14 PM)moon111 Wrote: There's so much B.S. in truck advertisement, etc. Exactly what axle ratios are used in a comparison? Do you think Dodge is going to set up their standard truck for towing when they offer the Cummins? I use to love Dodge advertising their mid-size trucks as best in class when no-one else made a mid-size. Or Chevy would say their motor was the biggest and baddest when the competition offered another step up. These head-to-head comparison have to be closely analyzed. Honestly to me, more has to be said about the people/dealer then the vehicle one chooses.

It's true what you say when it comes to ad claims where the small print says something like "comparing standard V8 engines" or something like that ... but at one time I actually produced some of those comparison video events and I can tell you that not only did our clicents at Ford double check all the specs and claims etc, but we also had to pass the copy through their lawyers to make sure any competitive claim of "the best" passed the legal smell test - it was scrupulous - we had to really prove it.

The video I linked to clearly identified the engines involved - the 3.5 ecoboost vs. the 5.7 hemi and Chevy's 5.3. These were all light duty trucks (ie: wasn't the 250 vs 1500 class trucks) and if all you were comparing was torque and power for drag racing with a trailer, the only thing you could "play" with would be axle ratios - and they clearly state them in the video.

I know that this still doesn't mean the F-150 is the better truck - but I certainly think it should be to rest any notion that the 3.5 ecoboost can't compete on power.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

(07-08-2012, 02:28 PM)castone Wrote: Why no talk of the Nissan Titan?

No Nissan because when the rear hubs go you have to replace the whole rear axle. Soo no go there.
Currently - 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4X4 Work Truck. Needs a Super Charger
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified
Sold - 1992 Astro Van CS Sky Blue Stock
Sold - 1994 Excel 2DR HB Teal First Car

+1 for Bryan and Ken. Another clearly addressed issue that the EcoBoost solves is performance over the rev range. The EcoBoost doesn't have a torque curve so much as it has a torque plateau. The Hemi needs to be revved well over 2500 to do any real work, and the Chev 5.3L is a classic pushrod V8. The result? 326HP from 5.3L of displacement (straight from chevy.ca this morning). In fact that, means that the Hemi isn't that much more impressive considering its design and a transition to a "cammer" overhead cam design (390HP and 407lb/ft). The Chev makes power down low and falls off up top (classic pushrod engine drawback when built for emissions and economy). The Hemi needs to be worked to tow heavy loads and has nothing down low. The EcoBoost spools right off and makes power EVERYWHERE (365HP / 420lb/ft of torque).

If more manufacturers got on-board with FI for mainstream engines, they too would kick ass. Dodge is too busy making everything a Honda motor lately, and GM has its head buried firmly up its ass with only its tiniest motors seeing real FI development. Cold comfort from two major manufacturers that we've had to bail out once already.

Don't get me wrong, I love my truck. It's 1995-era tech tho. Major improvements have been made since then.

Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Get a 2500 cummins 5.9L if you can. We use a lot of vehicles underground and the dodges hold up the best in suspension, engine, and transmission byfar.
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
(07-12-2012, 01:46 AM)Oscar The Grouch Wrote: Get a 2500 cummins 5.9L if you can. We use a lot of vehicles underground and the dodges hold up the best in suspension, engine, and transmission byfar.

Dont speak a about dodges they dont understand good trucks.Dodgy
(07-12-2012, 02:15 AM)adamzx5 Wrote:
(07-12-2012, 01:46 AM)Oscar The Grouch Wrote: Get a 2500 cummins 5.9L if you can. We use a lot of vehicles underground and the dodges hold up the best in suspension, engine, and transmission byfar.

Truth is, it's pointless to ask an opinion on specific manufacturer forum. It's always going to be bias talk. In this case of course Ford.

Better to go on some Truck related board where people can actually put valid points.

Ken, I enjoyed that video. But how do we know that it was fair made? Besides they put that guy from "Dirty Jobs" lol
125whp/129wtq
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
(07-12-2012, 02:15 AM)adamzx5 Wrote:

They used to be good trucks till they went to coil spring rear suspensions because of whiney Americans who use them as grocery-getters (and didn't want a choppy ride) and required deep gearing and multi-speed autotragics to get around the peakiness of the 5.7L Hemi.

I've loaded the s**t out of my 95 Ram, up to the top of the box with fresh-cut pine rounds. The truck squatted a bit, the steering was a bit lighter... and nothing of note happened. It merged with highway traffic and hauled the load home without issue. Try that now with a new Ram. Your foot will be in it the whole time, whereas the torque from the Magnum 5.9L was effortless it seems.

Best evidence: the guy that originally ordered my truck from the factory bought a new Ram with a Hemi and tows the same loads and trailers that he towed with the 95 Ram. He prefers the 95's torque and no-bitching driveability.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
(07-12-2012, 02:30 AM)NikiterZTS Wrote: Ken, I enjoyed that video. But how do we know that it was fair made? Besides they put that guy from "Dirty Jobs" lol

It's in the public domain - do you think for one second Chev and Ram would be standing by without saying a word if there was some monkey business? And then there's the car / truck mags - if there was something fishy about their process or results, there are plenty of people out there just itching to point it out - and today that can happen almost immediately.

Bottom line is this: it simply wouldn't pay for Ford to do anything screwy and then publish it - it can only backfire on them - not that they couldn't make a mistake - it's happened - but nothing on purpose.

And like I said from my own experience as a supplier to Ford - we were held to extremely high standards of honesty and accuracy and we had our facts and our wording checked by lawyers - and if anything now in the time of digital communication the need for accuracy is even more stringent today.

Do I know for a fact they didn't fool around with the results - no - but I'd bet a significant amount of money on it.

EDIT: and assuming that Ford's published power ratings for the ecoboost have been vetted by the press and the competition, the results are totally consistent with an engine generating 420 ft/lbs of torque at a measly 2500 rpm.

(07-12-2012, 02:42 AM)ZTWsquared Wrote:
(07-12-2012, 02:30 AM)NikiterZTS Wrote: Ken, I enjoyed that video. But how do we know that it was fair made? Besides they put that guy from "Dirty Jobs" lol

It's in the public domain - do you think for one second Chev and Ram would be standing by without saying a word if there was some monkey business? And then there's the car / truck mags - if there was something fishy about their process or results, there are plenty of people out there just itching to point it out - and today that can happen almost immediately.

Bottom line is this: it simply wouldn't pay for Ford to do anything screwy and then publish it - it can only backfire on them - not that they couldn't make a mistake - it's happened - but nothing on purpose.

And like I said from my own experience as a supplier to Ford - we were held to extremely high standards of honesty and accuracy and we had our facts and our wording checked by lawyers - and if anything now in the time of digital communication the need for accuracy is even more stringent today.

Do I know for a fact they didn't fool around with the results - no - but I'd bet a significant amount of money on it.

EDIT: and assuming that Ford's published power ratings for the ecoboost have been vetted by the press and the competition, the results are totally consistent with an engine generating 420 ft/lbs of torque at a measly 2500 rpm.

Good point. I've driven quit a few trucks here and there. Should really find time to test ecoboost one.

What's the price difference between Ecoboost and 5.4L F-150? Let's say options are the same.
125whp/129wtq
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
(07-12-2012, 04:57 AM)NikiterZTS Wrote: Good point. I've driven quit a few trucks here and there. Should really find time to test ecoboost one.

What's the price difference between Ecoboost and 5.4L F-150? Let's say options are the same.

Ahhh - trick question ... no more 5.4 ... engine choices are 3.7, 3.5 eco, 5.0, and 6.2.

In terms of the price walk from 3.7 to ecoboost, that's kind of tricky. On STX, XL, and XLT regular cab 4x2 models the only optional engine is the 5.0 and that's an additional $1000.

On 4x2 models the ecoboost is only available on Supercab and Supercrew models and the price walk from the 3.7 is $2250.

On models where the 5.0 is standard (XTR, FX2, and Lariat) , the walk to ecoboost is $1250.

Don't make me do the whole thing again for 4x4 models - you get the idea.

Well, I've really enjoyed reading all of the smack talk, the positive and negative imputs.

If I wanted to spend serrious cash I would just get a f250 (Dream truck is a F450 King Ranch, Dually, Crew Cab. That Price tag is just shy of $90,000. But thats a dream)

As for the Eco Boost, I'm sure that engine would be best for fuel and power but... I'm going to pick up a Tundra. It's has more balls then anything out there, much much nicer ride, interior/exterior. Price is much better then others. And seriously some people may never know this but even when my father had his F250 we still had to install a extra leaf spring to raise it up due to the weight. Actually every truck we ever put together for a Tire Truck we had to install an extra leaf. But the Tundra is the exception, it is still to high even with all the weight on it. We had to install a bumper step to get up into it lol.

Well the only really reason I won't get a F150 is frankly because it is just soo dam ugly with the new design and they really s**t the bed with not allowing a 8ft box on the hgiher level F150.

So thanks guys.
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified

(07-12-2012, 07:16 AM)ZTWsquared Wrote:
(07-12-2012, 04:57 AM)NikiterZTS Wrote: Good point. I've driven quit a few trucks here and there. Should really find time to test ecoboost one.

Ahhh - trick question ... no more 5.4 ... engine choices are 3.7, 3.5 eco, 5.0, and 6.2.

In terms of the price walk from 3.7 to ecoboost, that's kind of tricky. On STX, XL, and XLT regular cab 4x2 models the only optional engine is the 5.0 and that's an additional $1000.

On 4x2 models the ecoboost is only available on Supercab and Supercrew models and the price walk from the 3.7 is $2250.

On models where the 5.0 is standard (XTR, FX2, and Lariat) , the walk to ecoboost is $1250.

Don't make me do the whole thing again for 4x4 models - you get the idea.

Hmm price tag doesn't seem that much different. No brainer for Ecoboost.
125whp/129wtq
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
(07-12-2012, 10:13 AM)Scorcher000 Wrote: Well, I've really enjoyed reading all of the smack talk, the positive and negative imputs.

If I wanted to spend serrious cash I would just get a f250 (Dream truck is a F450 King Ranch, Dually, Crew Cab. That Price tag is just shy of $90,000. But thats a dream)

As for the Eco Boost, I'm sure that engine would be best for fuel and power but... I'm going to pick up a Tundra. It's has more balls then anything out there, much much nicer ride, interior/exterior. Price is much better then others. And seriously some people may never know this but even when my father had his F250 we still had to install a extra leaf spring to raise it up due to the weight. Actually every truck we ever put together for a Tire Truck we had to install an extra leaf. But the Tundra is the exception, it is still to high even with all the weight on it. We had to install a bumper step to get up into it lol.

Well the only really reason I won't get a F150 is frankly because it is just soo dam ugly with the new design and they really s**t the bed with not allowing a 8ft box on the hgiher level F150.

So thanks guys.

Look into propane conversion, my buddy did it on his F-150 4.6 and he loves it! Also Ontario Government gives you 750$ credit for having alternate fuel vehicle(propane). I think the conversion cost is about 2-3k.

Propane is going for 55 cents a littre these days which is lot better then 1.25 for gas!(toronto prices)

http://www.energy.gov.on.ca/en/fuel-pric...ro&yr=2012

http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/guides/rst/702.html
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

Well boys... I've gone boost... THAT IS TO SAY ECOBOOST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Big Grin

2012 F-150 XLT Supercab 8FT Box 2WDEcoBoost Silver
7 Bolt Aluminum Wheels
Frame looks like it's from a F250 and the Shocks and springs are heavy duty along with the axles too
Rearview Camera
Reverse Sensors
Side box steps
Power Group
Nothing else, it's a work truck. But it looks pretty dam good... except for the headlights... Undecided

[Image: IMG-20120831-00276.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20120831-00275.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20120831-00277.jpg]

I already have 4" chrome tubes on order, rain visors. The tool boxes, compressor and tools are waiting to be installed and start making money $$$$ Big Grin

I was just looking at it in the lot tonight and I won't pick it up until Tuesday but when I was in the bed on the truck The center of the floor meets the rolled down panels from the sides and they are not joined together... I stepped on it and I could see the metal bend... Very un-impressed with that. So I'm gonna paint in a bed liner and hope for the best. I could just see the turbo on the driver side through the wheel well opening and that follows out a big SS exhaust system.

I wonder what she'll pull on the Dyno......

Congrats on a nice truck. Too bad not 4x4 but still.
125whp/129wtq
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat