Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"fusionator" Project Is A Go
Here's the type of grille I'm talking about (though this is a replacement, not a bolt on)

[Image: 495b.jpg]

NefCanuck
^-- that grill doesn't look good IMO

Ken.. If there's a coating place nearby, you can check them out to see if they can black chrome your grill for you.

Or maybe you can nitesh!t it!
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

darkpuppet,Feb 10 2009, 10:27 AM Wrote:^-- that grill doesn't look good IMO

Ken.. If there's a coating place nearby, you can check them out to see if they can black chrome your grill for you.

Or maybe you can nitesh!t it!
[right][snapback]280828[/snapback][/right]

Whoa DP, you just gave me one hell of an idea there... I used a coating place out here in Mississauga to do the used wheels I had bought for the Focus before the crack up and the work looked aces.

Hrm, to buy a whole new grille, a reclaimed one and powdercoat that or run around for a day without a grille....

NefCanuck
Go used, make sure that it's not beat and powdercoat that? That way you have the stock one for later if needed. That's what I would do. :)
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
NOS2Go4Me,Feb 10 2009, 10:51 AM Wrote:Go used, make sure that it's not beat and powdercoat that? That way you have the stock one for later if needed. That's what I would do. :)
[right][snapback]280837[/snapback][/right]

Hrm, now to see what grilles are going for at recyclers (This project gets more fun all the time)

NefCanuck
What's a new grille for one of those cost?

Call up Dominion Auto.
They may have a front clip in the yard.
first check to make sure the front grill isn't plastic... 'cause you can't powdercoat plastic (the heat that melts the powdered paint to the surface would melt/warp the plastic).

if it's plastic, either spray it or chrome it.

darkpuppet,Feb 10 2009, 01:28 PM Wrote:first check to make sure the front grill isn't plastic... 'cause you can't powdercoat plastic (the heat that melts the powdered paint to the surface would melt/warp the plastic).

[right][snapback]280859[/snapback][/right]

It is plastic ... and for what a wrecker wants for a used one here in Ontario, I'd rather spend a few bucks more and get a new one in the US.

I've been in touch with a company based out of Quebec called Cosmichrome that apparently has a really good process for "chroming" non-conductive materials using a water-based system. I'd appreciate comments about this system from any of the finishing experts on here (Bryan?)

There's a company in Belleville that has their system, but I can't find anyone closer.

I suppose I also have the option of painting the grille the body colour (good on a black car, but not so good on a Moss Green vehicle, which unfortunately is what I now have.)

But in any event, I'm not a real chrome fan and if I'm forced to have it, I'd prefer the black chrome or polished aluminum effect.

Daniel ... if you're serious about doing something about your chrome grille let me know and perhaps we could do something together. BTW - whatever I do to the grille I also plan on doing to the chrome strip on the trunk.

2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
Couldn't you guys just properly sand and paint? I know it's a lot of work.... but it would get the job done, and if done by a shop, could look stock too.

What would the chances be of buying one from somebody before they're chromed?
ZTWsquared,Feb 10 2009, 12:52 PM Wrote:It is plastic ... and for what a wrecker wants for a used one here in Ontario, I'd rather spend a few bucks more and get a new one in the US.

I suppose I also have the option of painting the grille the body colour (good on a black car, but not so good on a Moss Green vehicle, which unfortunately is what I now have.)

But in any event, I'm not a real chrome fan and if I'm forced to have it, I'd prefer the black chrome or polished aluminum effect.

Daniel ... if you're serious about doing something about your chrome grille let me know and perhaps we could do something together. BTW - whatever I do to the grille I also plan on doing to the chrome strip on the trunk.
[right][snapback]280865[/snapback][/right]

I do want to tone down the chrome front, but I'm concerned that the paint won't hold up over the long haul, which is why I had thought of powdercoating (before DP and you reminded me that the grille on the Fusion is actually plastic :ph34r: )

Are grilles really that much used? :blink: I was thinking of maybe asking a friend who lives near Standard Auto Wreckers to go with me to grab a set during a "pick & pull day" ($45 and all you can carry, in my case the grille would just about be it)

Ken, what were you thinking of? I like the SAP grille, but the prices are enough to make me faint :ph34r:

and were you planning to do the chrome strip on the rear body colour?

NefCanuck
last time I went to standard they don't let customers into the junk yard just the auction cars you have to tell them what you want and they check for you.
DruZX3 You Tube Page
My Rides on Car Domain

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 - Daily Driver
2008 Lincoln MKX Limited Edition - Grocery Getter
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Rode and Sold
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade - Offroaded and Sold
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X - R.I.P. Electrical Fire
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 - Traded in Now DrunkinMonkeys Car
2003 Ford Taurus Wagon - Inherited Drove and Sold
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 Turbo - Award Winning 336 WHP - Parted and Scraped
1990 Ford Festiva - My 1st Car

[Image: ZX3PixelCarEngineVIEW.png]
Minor update, tunes are purchased (91 & 87 performance tunes)

Once the SRI goes in, time for a little hacking of the Fusion ECU (and living with the Check Engine light for a while, heck, even if all you do is read codes the Fusion throws a fit, fussy thing :P)

NefCanuck
ZTWsquared,Feb 10 2009, 01:52 PM Wrote:
darkpuppet,Feb 10 2009, 01:28 PM Wrote:first check to make sure the front grill isn't plastic... 'cause you can't powdercoat plastic (the heat that melts the powdered paint to the surface would melt/warp the plastic).

[right][snapback]280859[/snapback][/right]

It is plastic ... and for what a wrecker wants for a used one here in Ontario, I'd rather spend a few bucks more and get a new one in the US.

I've been in touch with a company based out of Quebec called Cosmichrome that apparently has a really good process for "chroming" non-conductive materials using a water-based system. I'd appreciate comments about this system from any of the finishing experts on here (Bryan?)

There's a company in Belleville that has their system, but I can't find anyone closer.

[right][snapback]280865[/snapback][/right]

I think the cosmichrome would probably do the job. If anything, you may want to clearcoat it after you get it back to protect the final colour layer, but since it appears to a be a wet application, it should provide nice results.

the other option is to spend a little more and send it to a shop that'll pre-impregnate the part with silver, then electro-plate it with the usual copper-nickel-chrome mix... which would be more durable than the spray coating.

not to mention that there's over a dozen chromers in the Toronto area alone.

I definitely put a vote in for black chrome.

Don't know a thing about chosmichrome.

My bet would be to look further into what Puppet described above as painting the grill would be a PITA and it just wouldn't last.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
darkpuppet,Feb 14 2009, 01:40 PM Wrote:I think the cosmichrome would probably do the job.  If anything, you may want to clearcoat it after you get it back to protect the final colour layer, but since it appears to a be a wet application, it should provide nice results.

the other option is to spend a little more and send it to a shop that'll pre-impregnate the part with silver, then electro-plate it with the usual copper-nickel-chrome mix... which would be more durable than the spray coating.

not to mention that there's over a dozen chromers in the Toronto area alone.

I definitely put a vote in for black chrome.
[right][snapback]281114[/snapback][/right]

I don't mind a bit of added expense if it gets the job done right the first time ... but to be clear - the process you describe above is for plating plastic?? And any plater can do it??
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
Dan - let me know how you do with that intake eh?

I'll be dumping a 91 tune into the Escape this spring after we get above 0C.

I'm also seriously considering Edge 18" wheels and low-pro tires for touring this summer.

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
NOS2Go4Me,Feb 16 2009, 12:38 AM Wrote:Dan - let me know how you do with that intake eh?

I'm also seriously considering Edge 18" wheels and low-pro tires for touring this summer.
[right][snapback]281170[/snapback][/right]

Will do, between the SRI, tune and the resonator delete I'll have to be even more careful about getting my foot too far into the throttle when I have my stepmother in the car... she never was a fan of how the Focus sounded "unleashed" and I think she'll hate the "Fusion Unchained" even more :banger:

(She'll never notice the bodykit & wheels though and that's a good thing :lol:)

NefCanuck
NOS2Go4Me,Feb 16 2009, 12:38 AM Wrote:Dan - let me know how you do with that intake eh?

I'm entertaining the idea of getting 17 or 18" rims from an explorer...You know the stock 16's on my truck? Well, I've seen 2005-2008 LTD 4WD Explorers with rims that are nearly identical, but in a 17". Or should I consider Edge rims eventually too?

Grrr, gotta get the Magnaflow and the HID's taken care of first...
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
Drivesthebeast,Feb 16 2009, 07:41 PM Wrote:

I'm entertaining the idea of getting 17 or 18" rims from an explorer...You know the stock 16's on my truck? Well, I've seen 2005-2008 LTD 4WD Explorers with rims that are nearly identical, but in a 17". Or should I consider Edge rims eventually too?

Grrr, gotta get the Magnaflow and the HID's taken care of first...
[right][snapback]281208[/snapback][/right]

SporTrac wheels fit too, Ian. Lots of options out there for Escape owners... which is nice. Thinking 18s for the summer and 16s for winter / soft-roading.

ZTWsquared,Feb 14 2009, 07:37 PM Wrote:I don't mind a bit of added expense if it gets the job done right the first time ... but to be clear - the process you describe above is for plating plastic?? And any plater can do it??
[right][snapback]281125[/snapback][/right]

The process I described is indeed for doing plastic. You'll want to look for a plater that does restoration and/or specialty trim -- they're more likely to have the equipment to do the chroming on plastic.

I've heard of a few places in the states that do it (like paul's chrome that was featured on My Classic Car)... but there is at least one place in Canada (http://www.lashopabandit.com) that does. The latter uses conductive paint to chrome to.

And that would be your most durable and professional choice (if you can find one in Toronto anyways).

There's also the option of vacuum metalization (used to plate flashlight reflectors and whatnot). But that's nowhere near as durable or corrosion resistant as proper chrome.

When I get some time, I'll see if I can find any chromers in TO that'll do it (or TBay since I know a couple coating shops up there that do custom work too).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I Put 2 Bottles Of "nos" In It...... habmann 12 5,594 05-24-2009, 02:54 AM
Last Post: 2001 ZTS
  "fusionator" Up For April Cotm NefCanuck 9 4,846 04-14-2009, 02:04 AM
Last Post: NefCanuck
  Student "pimpin' Hard" With Flowmaster.. fatphocus 6 3,163 04-02-2009, 04:52 AM
Last Post: ZX3_2NV
  2009 Changes For "the" Highway" ZX3_2NV 27 9,217 01-07-2009, 01:07 AM
Last Post: CanadaSVT
  Just For "sparky" 2001 ZTS 4 2,270 05-19-2008, 10:05 PM
Last Post: zx5power
  Big "e" Hangs Em Up SVT ZX3 19 7,048 11-13-2007, 11:55 PM
Last Post: ANTHONYD
  There's This Kind Of "art". NikiterZTS 12 3,220 09-13-2007, 12:22 PM
Last Post: D-Dub
  "24" Signs You Might Be A Canadian Frost__2001 6 2,489 05-18-2007, 10:57 PM
Last Post: Frost__2001
  Who Else Has A Massive "to Do" List..... 2001 ZTS 35 7,723 04-20-2007, 04:53 AM
Last Post: torradan
  Jeremy Clarkson: "top Gear Won't Be Back" Frost__2001 8 3,135 03-16-2007, 07:39 AM
Last Post: PARKINGLOT