Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Automatic turbo?
i have an 07 focus and i would like to put a turbo into it but im not sure if the trans will be good enough to hold the turbo. Can anyone help me out? Thanks
LENTECH!
2002 SVT Focus
Procharger @ 10psi , Clutch Masters Stage 3 Clutch,Stainless Borla Exhaust, Ebc dimpled + slotted rotors and brakes ,Russel Stainless brake lines , Koni adjustable shocks ,Eibach Sportline Springs , CFM short throw shifter , Euro Grill , CFM 65mm tb , Mach Headlights , MSD Coil ,SCT Dyno tune @ steeda , Volant Intake .  
-2003 SVT Wagon - Euro Conversion , currently retired
Svt side skirts , st170 front bumper , mach headlights , spax rear adj shocks , focus sport rear springs , volant CAI , Roof rack delete , Street edition Spoiler , MBRP exhaust , Eibach front swaybar , shorty shifter and lots more to come!                             .
2011 SES - daily driver will be modded soon .                                                                                                                                                        
IIRC FSWerks had some tunes that were auto friendly, but be ready to upgrade the tranny, torque kills your auto tranny.
in my opinion before installing the turbo i would do a manual swap. its relavtively cheap. you can get everything from the local pick and pull for under 500$ or so
2000 dark violet pearl zx3: eagle rods, je pistons, fidanza cam gears, arp studs, ford racing highlift valve springs, svt front/rear disc conversion, prothane total kit, fc 65mm throttle body Tial gt3071r, tial mvs wastegate, tial Q bov, top speed "street" manifold,down pipe and dump tube, greddy boost controller, siemens deka #61 injectorz, stage 4 bully clutch way to much more to list
Instagram @o_so_slo
Very few people know how much power the 4F27E can handle. Most say ditch it and 5spd swap. You can if you want but that is a lot of work that I may be doing soon.

So, the "27" in 4F27E stands for the torque rating of 270tq. The HP isn't what you need to worry about with the tranny.

You would need to upgrade your Torque Converter from TCS in B.C. (They make the TC for Lentech and FordRacing but TCS only charges $6xx and Lentech is $9XX. and increases strength by 35% = 365tq )

Now for quick gear changes you would need to upgrade the valvebody to push the fluids quicker and stronger. You can get it from Lentech but I am trying to source out same quality for lower pricing.

The internals are the same as a stock unit, they don't put in a custom Limited Slip Differential anymore and the gears are not hardened either. I also think they do not install a 23spline Forward drum/shaft anymore either, stock 16spline.

So really you could but a FSwerks Stg2 kit on and have no worries for the most part. Some call it an "Autorocket"

I'm currently building my Focus Duratec up with a T04E turbo and custom setup with built internals. I'm going to get the TCS torque converter and run it to see how that handles it. I am also purchasing a complete 5spd sway for the car too just in case it can't handle the addition power.

Do research of your own too, that's how I figured things out so far...
Currently - 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4X4 Work Truck. Needs a Super Charger
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified
Sold - 1992 Astro Van CS Sky Blue Stock
Sold - 1994 Excel 2DR HB Teal First Car

Well i have been doing research of my own for a while now and i could never get a straight answer. There are people who say you can run 8 pounds of boost and have no problems but then people who say that anything over stock torque the tranny will slip.
I personally wouldn't trust the stock tranny to handle 8psi, i'd at the absolute minimum do some internal upgrades on it like a valvebody, or the first set of clutch packs. And john lentech charges 689 for their TC, not sure where you get 900 from.

http://www.lentechautomatics.com/4F27epricing.htm
Little bit of show, little bit of go.
Guys, 8 psi has nothing to do with anything lol. You need to look at the tq numbers. Every turbo setup will put out different tq numbers at 8psi...

And Mike, I got my pricing from Lentech when I contacted them a couple months ago. Trust me I know my s**t
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified

im going by what their website says. not smart on their end to say 900 to you and show the TC for 689.
Little bit of show, little bit of go.
From other members on fj, you can run a stage 2 fswerks at 8psi and it will hold it. Your looking around 180-200whp at that level. I suggest a swap or upgrade transmission parts to accomplish your goal pending what your goal on power is
2007 ZX4 2.0l unaturally aspirated
FSwerks stage 2 Turbo kit, Cosworth Intake Manifold, 3" custom HKS turbo back
regular stage 2 @10ps : 232whp/219wtq
stage 2 plus @ 13psi: 278whp/229wtq
Stage 2 plus @15psi: 296whp/240wtq

2013 Focus ST Tuxedo Black - The daily
Here this is what the sent me back in May. So maybe they got better pricing from TCS now. Sorry it took so long, had to search back for it.

The following was sent on 13/05/13(Mon) @ 22:03
---------------------------------------------------------
submitBtn: submit
I was just wondering what is the pricing on a transmission from Lentech for my vehicle I will be using on a street style race track.

2005 Ford Focus
2.0L Duratec 4F27E Transmission
Forged Internals with a Turbo (Roughly 350-400hp)

Please let me know what you can do for me and the details along with everything.

Thank you very much!
John MacNeil
Subject:: Transmission Pricing
email_address: The following was sent on 13/05/13(Mon) @ 22:03

Hello John,

Our Street Terminator Plus @ $2995 would be the only choice for you power range coupled by the 9” aluminum statored converter @ $845

Cheers,

Len

Lentech
---------------------------------------------------------

I ran the first Lentech ATX they built for the Focus at just over 700HP it had the trans brake , Manual valve body , converter and LSD and I loved it

You dont need the valvebody to firm up the trans psi and shift points all this can be done in a tune and your fine @ 10psi depending what 10psi makes with your turbo kit

With turbo I would never change out a ATX for a MTX , you can sit on the line a little foot brake and make 5-7psi or with well built stuff 10-14 psi and ATX with turbo is always faster then MTX with turbo

Tom
(10-19-2013, 02:12 PM)1turbofocus Wrote: I ran the first Lentech ATX they built for the Focus at just over 700HP it had the trans brake , Manual valve body , converter and LSD and I loved it

You dont need the valvebody to firm up the trans psi and shift points all this can be done in a tune and your fine @ 10psi depending what 10psi makes with your turbo kit

With turbo I would never change out a ATX for a MTX , you can sit on the line a little foot brake and make 5-7psi or with well built stuff 10-14 psi and ATX with turbo is always faster then MTX with turbo

Tom

I am totally agree with you. You are 100% good here that you do not need the valve body to firm up the trans psi and shift points all this can be done in a tune.

ava-tieman.com
If your goal is straight line, or daily I would agree with tom. If your goal is track I like mtx.

Welcome back tom.
Small track like parking lot racing I would have to agree MTX would be best, road racing like road atlanta and VIR , I would still take the ATX with a turbo

Tom
I have to agree with Tom on using the Auto for road course.
You can just drop it in 2nd and let the boost build and run out the gear from Apex to Apex. 2nd gear in the autos run nearly to 130KPH.

Tom, stay you have a stock ATX but you use a better quality fluid to keep it cool. The tune that is used has everything stiff and shifting quick. The only real upgrade is a torque converter with a 4000RPM stall speed.
What torque number do you think it could handle? Provided the internals aren't damaged from scorching and excessive wear.

A 4000 stall is very tall for the Focus unless you going to about 8500 rpm , stall converters also create a lot of excessive heat

The TQ converter will help but I dont think thats enough to hold that much more TQ with the trans being stock , you need the better clutches if I remember right Lentech added an extra clutch to the clutch packs uses

Chris at Lentech would be the best guy to ask about that

Tom
I'm aiming for 8000RPM to start lol

TCS has a upgraded stock converter that stalls at 2500 and they are recommending I use the 4000RPM stall converter on my application if I continue to use the ATX. But I do have a complete MTX setup coming my way in January.

Thanks for the info Tom. I'm sure all of us can use it wisely.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Turbo automatic? adamzx5 14 6,173 10-14-2011, 11:50 PM
Last Post: hardk0re