Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Removing / replacing Split Port Engine
Well here's an update on my exchanging split port engines. It's now January and I solved the vibrating engine problem. You'll be happy to know (all the regular contributors to focuscanada) that a worn motor mount was the cause. I replaced the top motor mount that came with my used engine for the one on the junk engine I took out and presto the bad engine vibration that shook the whole car disappeared. Yes! something goes right. (I got the solution from post archives)
However back to the transmission problem which stopped the crank from turning and then got freed up when I loosened the transmission from the engine again and then bolted it back up. I never knew why it was stuck. How could I? I'm an amateur repairman.
I do admit to using the wrong transmission fluid. I filled it with Type F rather than the recommended mercon V fluid. I'm sure that's what caused the horizontal drive shaft seal to leak at the transmission. And caused the power steering pump to stop working as I also used type F there too. A mechanic I know in another city, warned me that could damage the transmission, but too late. I'm still not sure if the damage to the transmission was caused by joining the engine and tranny together with the tork converter attached to the engine rather than the tranny. But I suspect so.
I've attached a picture of the inside of the tranny for those interested, as I pulled the pan to drain out the type F fluid. I did put in some mercon V but the car only moved a few feet then I got that grinding noise again and neutral in every gear.
Hope all my posts here can save someone else some grief.
The car is going into the garage tomorrow to have a "real" mechanic check it out and confirm what I suspect, which is that I screwed up a good automatic transmission.
However, on the money side so far, I really had nothing to loose, I had the doner car for free and got lots of driving out of the car I pulled apart to fix. So most of my "repair" work cost me only fluids so far. I guess you can rationalize anything if you want.
Anyway here's some pics of something most of will never see first hand, tranny exposed.
It takes more than talk to get things done.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Removing / replacing Split Port Engine - ErnessW - 01-07-2014, 07:27 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Split Port Trouble Installing Starter on a 2002 Focus ErnessW 1 2,264 12-12-2013, 10:16 AM
Last Post: ErnessW