Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Removing / replacing Split Port Engine
(10-20-2014, 10:12 PM)drunkinmonkey Wrote: good to hear everything seems to be running good. next time you blow a motor I would highly recommend swapping over a zetec engine and tranny. grab a couple friend and you have it done over a weekend

Well it's been over a year since I swapped out the focus engine for another split port. I made it almost 60,000 km before a valve seat dropped. This time it was number two cyclinder. So there's been three split port engines in this Ford Focus Stationwagon.

I removed the plugs to see which cyclinder and found some oil on the 2nd plug but it wasn't bashed up too bad, just a few minor dents in the seat. Could not see any evidence of anti-freeze leaking, which is different than last time. So I put the plugs back in and left the spark wire off number two plug. Turned the key and . . .

It runs with no clanking sound. A bit of a vibration of course with one plug not firing. No smoke out the tail pipe.
So I have hope I might repair this one rather than replacing the whole engine. I like the automatic transmission
over a standard.

I should mention that the car ran fine over to the emission testing garage before all this happened. But the mechanic who started it up to take it into have the emission test wasn't so fortunate. You should have seen how "green" he looked at the clanking, stuttering, shaking, Ford split port engine. They couldn't wait to push it out to the parking lot and wish me good luck in what ever I decided to do with the car. They didn't charge me for emission test, ha ha.
It takes more than talk to get things done.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Removing / replacing Split Port Engine - ErnessW - 08-02-2015, 02:43 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Split Port Trouble Installing Starter on a 2002 Focus ErnessW 1 2,264 12-12-2013, 10:16 AM
Last Post: ErnessW