Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2014 Ford Focus ST-R?
(08-07-2014, 08:08 AM)GFXjamie Wrote: Devils advocate - buy a mountune set up, still keep warranty but have a far superior product. Or alternatively go Cobb accessport from mountune which will be tuned by randy.

Accessport can be had for I believe 500$ and give as much or more tq and actual hp increases and real world fuel economy benefits also which I have experienced. (35mpg while cruising 118km/h with ac on full stage 3 w/o grill shutters)

A good option, to be sure. The good news is that mountune ships free to Canada on orders over $100. The bad news is that even so, with exchange and HST that's still $627 - and that's without the plugs and CAI.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
But, ZTWsquared, would you take the COBB AP before any other tuner?
I'll have to think about this...I just listened to a few videos with the MBRP exhaust and I love it...but damn, that price is so expensive! :/
2007 CD Silver ST  **** FOR SALE ****
2014 Performance Blue ST  **** SOLD ****

2016 Ford Edge Sport Shadow Black
(08-07-2014, 02:25 PM)Gravter Wrote: But, ZTWsquared, would you take the COBB AP before any other tuner?
I'll have to think about this...I just listened to a few videos with the MBRP exhaust and I love it...but damn, that price is so expensive! :/

Good question - but I don't have any experience with Cobb so I can't talk about them specifically.

Up to the point that Randy crapped out on tuning my car, I would have said my SCT experience was very good over the years - now, not so much. Personally I don't ever want to be dependent again on one single individual for the tune of my car - so, for me anyway, Randy doing the tuning at mountune would be a big "meh" for me.

Would mountune / Cobb stand behind the tuning if something were to happen that Randy was no longer there? They're a big company with great resources - I can't imagine they wouldn't be there for you. But in that same vein that's the comfort I would get from dealing with Ford Racing - and yes, I know that there are lots of ways of making sure an aftermarket tune won't affect your warranty status, but the Ford Racing solution is the only one guaranteed to do so.

There's no doubt the Cobb tuning that Jamie (and I think Vince and maybe even a couple more ST owners we know) makes excellent power and torque - from the sounds of it, better than the Ford Racing tune - so that I guess is the other side of the coin.

I'm not sure which way I would go if I had an ST - but the Ford Racing would be right up there in terms of one of the top choices. What I do know is that I would try the new tune without the exhaust first to see how it sounds.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

Good points!
The factory warranty is what is making me lean towards the Ford tuner.
Where do you get files for it? Is it easily customized when you get new parts installed? Like you said, if I decide to simply get the tuner/plugs+filter this year and add the exhaust next year...will I have to pay for a new map/tune?
I just recalculated the price I got for the ST, and its about a thousand under the employee price! Smile
I had a bad night of sleep thinking about this purchase! lol ... The car will be ready to pick up today! Wink

(08-07-2014, 10:47 PM)Gravter Wrote: Good points!
The factory warranty is what is making me lean towards the Ford tuner.
Where do you get files for it? Is it easily customized when you get new parts installed? Like you said, if I decide to simply get the tuner/plugs+filter this year and add the exhaust next year...will I have to pay for a new map/tune?
I just recalculated the price I got for the ST, and its about a thousand under the employee price! Smile
I had a bad night of sleep thinking about this purchase! lol ... The car will be ready to pick up today! Wink

Ford Racing sells the tuner/CAI/plugs as a standalone product - and of course the exhaust. And they sell the two together. There is no indication that the tune is different between the two - and there is no indication that adding the exhaust would require a re-tune - Ford Racing is pretty good about specifically mentioning stuff like that in their marketing descriptions, and there is no mention of that for the exhaust.

One thing to remember too - the recalibration includes changing the sound symposer software to change the sound of the exhaust - which is why I think I'd do the exhaust later - you just might really like the new sound.

Here's the Ford Racing page - details how you get your tune.

M-FR1-ST

Oh damn... I'm getting buyers remorse and I did not even sign anything yet!
Damn...

Oh well, look what followed me home last night! :p

Now, can someone find me the best deal on the M-9603A-FST package Smile
Thanks for all your help!

(08-09-2014, 12:16 AM)Gravter Wrote: Oh well, look what followed me home last night! :p

Now, can someone find me the best deal on the M-9603A-FST package Smile
Thanks for all your help!

Congrats - great colour too. Now all you need to do is to find a hook-up that can import that power package cheap for you.

BTW - Dixie Ford quoted me $940 CAD + HST for that kit - not too bad I guess considering the list price is 795 US before shipping. What prices have you been quoted?

I didn't get a quote yet.
I will be calling the dealer where I got my car on Monday to see what they can do!

Well, I just got my quote from my dealer concerning the Ford Racing tuner, plugs, CAI and filter... $1120.00 installed w/taxes.
Yikes... I was hoping to be under $1G!
Oh well, I might wait a bit and get the COBB A3 but that Ford kit makes more trq/hp! Decisions decisions!

(08-26-2014, 05:48 AM)Gravter Wrote: Well, I just got my quote from my dealer concerning the Ford Racing tuner, plugs, CAI and filter... $1120.00 installed w/taxes.
Yikes... I was hoping to be under $1G!
Oh well, I might wait a bit and get the COBB A3 but that Ford kit makes more trq/hp! Decisions decisions!

So that's 990 before taxes. How much of that was for installation? Even if you gave them 2 hours @ $100 per, that's still 890 for the kit, including taxes.

I can get you the kit for 560.00 CAD + HST (632.00), imported and shipped by Canada Post to your place. Saves you about 260.00

It's 820$ before taxes.
150$ for install.

Give me a few days to rethink this. It's the same kit, right? With 4 spark plugs, filter, CAI and programmer?
If so, that's a great price!
I'm still thinking about the A3 but still ain't sure which route to go.

Thanks!

Yup - same kit - M-9603A-FST. When Steve left Tousley it caused me to look around and find a new supplier of OE Ford stuff.

Between Tousley and Tasca, for 2012 and 2013, I purchased more than $25,000 of Ford stuff ... and if I added in the 5 years prior, it was almost $50k; and so armed with that info I was able to negotiate a slightly better price than the Focaljet price at Tasca or Tousley.

It's not huge percentage, but it usually covers a bit more than the cost of shipping in the USA. On "big ticket" items the savings effect is more pronounced.

So, doing the math for those playing along at home - your dealer wants $926 (almost exact same price as Dixie Ford FWIW) and my price is $632 for a saving's of $294 - or about 32%.

(08-26-2014, 10:05 PM)Gravter Wrote: It's 820$ before taxes.
150$ for install.

Give me a few days to rethink this. It's the same kit, right? With 4 spark plugs, filter, CAI and programmer?
If so, that's a great price!
I'm still thinking about the A3 but still ain't sure which route to go.

Thanks!

Another question concerning the programmer...
Are there any custom files/tunes available afterwards? Let's say I decide to install a DP, cat back and IC in the future, I'll need a new tune for sure!

(08-26-2014, 11:20 PM)Gravter Wrote: Another question concerning the programmer...
Are there any custom files/tunes available afterwards? Let's say I decide to install a DP, cat back and IC in the future, I'll need a new tune for sure!

I don't think that's how it works with Ford racing - pretty sure they don't offer tuning services. Now ... if they come out with another kit that requires a different tune, they would undoubtedly include it.

Having said that - I doubt that the mods you mentioned would absolutely require a new tune.

For example - if you compare the specs for the M-14204-FST (calibration tool + plugs) vs. the M-9603A-FST (calibration tool, plugs, filter, CAI) vs. the M-FR1-FST (calibration tool, plugs, filter, CAI, cat-back exhaust) ... they all show the exact same increase in power. In fact, on the Ford Racing website the dyno sheet they show for all 3 part numbers is the one for M-9603A.

To me, that's the kit you want - because it seems pretty clear that the power comes from the new tune and not the bolt ons - which makes sense to me with a factory-boosted car.

Last year's dyno day was a pretty good demonstration of that. Of the three STs that pulled, the torque numbers were all pretty much within spitting distance of each other despite some real differences in the hardware. It was the kind of difference you might expect from one car to the next. The one thing they had in common was a new calibration.

Great! Thanks for the info. So no custom files...oh well.
I'll look up the dyno numbers and see what everyone is getting Wink

Ok, well my dealer can't do it for lower but has agreed to install it if I bring it in but the flat rate of 150$ for the install won't be available anymore.
He is estimating between 1 and 3 hours for install, so 100$ to 300$ for the installation.
To be continued.

I tried to download the word document in the other thread concerning the dyno day from last year and it said something about being corrupted.
Anyone still have it?