Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proposed Cellphone Bill Update
What your not getting Adam, is that if you have winter tires, designed for winter driving, you will have that much more traction and will not need to adjust as much as an all season. It has nothing to do with my need for speed, but everything to do with using the right tools in the right condtions. You want the ultimate traction in the summer? you go with a summer performance tire. You want to go with the ultimate traction in winter? You go with a winter tire.

I adjust my driving habits if im in a snow storm, I'm not the type to think 'hey ive got winter tires, Im indistructible!!' Not at all, but I can drive with more confidence because I KNOW i've got more traction than you. With my change in driving habit, and using the proper tools, I am automatically a safer driver than you, and probably a better one.

And trust me, theres more chance of the guy with hoclkey pucks on his car 'scuking somebodies bumper' than the guy with proper tires designed with winter in mind.

Most cars last year I helped out of the ditch were idiots with all seasons. Most people driving 30 km under the limit were on hockey pucks. Slowing down my commute. Again, nothing to do with need for speed, but when it takes an extra hour because some jackass is 'adjusting' because he has the incorrect tires for the weather, well thats wrong and shouldnt happen.

Part of driving safe is a combo of using the right tools and driving according to the conditions. Is its raining in the summer, i slow down. If theres a huge snow storm , I slow down. But I know my machine is a better performer with the right tires. Any person that calls themselves a car enthusiast should know this.

And if you can afford a house, a new car every few years, feeding a dog, Im sorry, you can afford CT winter tires & rims and have that much more of a safer machine on the road.

Quote: Everyone can kiss my ass.

Thats the exact attitude I hate. Yes, drive accordingly, but use the right tires for teh right conditions. You having that attitude causes road rage and accidents, its pretty ignorant to think like that. Smarten up and realise your not the only one using the road. :rolleyes:

All season tires are a complete waste of money, and you as a self proclaimed car enthusaist should know better.

Tires are the #1 mod people should make.

f***, I sound like naz. :ph34r:

Sorry to sound so harsh, but anybody with half a brain will agree with me.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
firs winter with my focus i drove on all season Mitchelline tires.....and God, the car was all over the road in the winter even driving 40km/h......it was horrible.....hated the tires
second winter i bought winters and what a difference........
i bought my subaru and first mod i did is i bought winter tires and steelies.......theres no way im risking a new car on horrible all season Bridgston RE92's
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
I think the thought of mandating winter tires is one thing, but I believe, and perhaps the best idea and probably one that a lot of people would agree with, is to BAN ALL-SEASON TIRES.

Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
On the Focus I ran one winter with the stock P6 "All Season" tires...

That was the first time I ever got stuck driving a car in winter to teh point where I had to get out of the car and shovel to get moving.

After that I bought the Nokian WR All Seasons, it was like night & day and I drove in a snow storm the day after groundhog day that year that had completely shut down the roads, it was naturally slow going but I made it, the P6's would have resulted in my demise I'm sure :ph34r:

NefCanuck
OK, Nate - you got me. I hate buying two sets of tires constantly. I was dumb enough to drink the M+S-stamped koolaid that we've been fed for years and I believed that what was legal and labelled as proper no longer is.

I'll pimp out the dog and sell the house and buy winter tires... next year.

I'll agree with Oscar, then - BAN ALL SEASON TIRES. But the government shouldn'tt sit there and s*** on our plates and then call it legal sunshine by giving us the capacity to buy the tires, branded as suitable for our Canadian winters and then start this "mandatory winter tire" s***.

However, I'm a car enthusiast that currently drives a SUV. A SUV with large-ass, off and on road-geared tires. Tires that currently wear the M+S stamping with pride. So, I'll make this winter happen with what I have currently and we'll take it from there.

Again, we need to do something about the competency of the people driving! Tires alone will not solve this! If you want to drive during the winter, you should have to take mandatory winter driving training. Skid and spin recovery, proper driving techniques, how to rock your car out of a snowy rut, everything. THEN you'll be best able to use whatever is put on your plate.

Until then, advocating winter tires for the unskilled masses is like buying Nike or Reebok basketball shoes for every slack-jawed, drooling moron that steps onto a basketball court. Their feet may look nice, they may even get to move once in a while, but their performance is going to be the same: s***E.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
NOS2Go4Me,Oct 30 2008, 01:00 PM Wrote:Until then, advocating winter tires for the unskilled masses is like buying Nike or Reebok basketball shoes for every slack-jawed, drooling moron that steps onto a basketball court. Their feet may look nice, they may even get to move once in a while, but their performance is going to be the same: s***E.
[right][snapback]275637[/snapback][/right]

Not quite :P

Slap me on the shanonville racing track with all seasons, I'll post one time. Slap some performance r compound tires, drastic difference in lap times, all because of the tire.

Slap me on the snow cross here in Ottawa with all seaons, I'll post one time, slap me on the same track with snows, I'll have way better times.

I can be a s***ty driver in both scenarios above, but have big time differences in lap time (re: performance)

I agree with you though, its not just tires, but they play a huge role. A LOT more than you'd like to admit.
I'm definitely all for winter tires!!

Now here is a thought, kinda on topic.

Someone start a winter driving school, and get it certified by insurance companies, so that if you do take the course you get a discount on your insurance. ( and if someone here does this I want a percentage.... lol )

I'm currently with The Personal for my insurance, and in case anyone else is....

We now get a 5% discount due to having winter tires on our vehicles!!! May not be alot but I'll take it.

Flofocus,Oct 30 2008, 01:10 PM Wrote:
NOS2Go4Me,Oct 30 2008, 01:00 PM Wrote:Until then, advocating winter tires for the unskilled masses is like buying Nike or Reebok basketball shoes for every slack-jawed, drooling moron that steps onto a basketball court. Their feet may look nice, they may even get to move once in a while, but their performance is going to be the same: s***E.
[right][snapback]275637[/snapback][/right]

Not quite :P

Slap me on the shanonville racing track with all seasons, I'll post one time. Slap some performance r compound tires, drastic difference in lap times, all because of the tire.

Slap me on the snow cross here in Ottawa with all seaons, I'll post one time, slap me on the same track with snows, I'll have way better times.

I can be a s***ty driver in both scenarios above, but have big time differences in lap time (re: performance)

I agree with you though, its not just tires, but they play a huge role. A LOT more than you'd like to admit.
[right][snapback]275638[/snapback][/right]
Skirt, Volant Intake, HID projectors, Eibach Suspension, SVT rims
I think it's awesome that you get some % off
I'm going to make sure and call my Donovan insuarence
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
ZX3guy2000,Nov 1 2008, 01:11 AM Wrote:I'm definitely all for winter tires!! 

Someone start a winter driving school,

Check Skid Control guys in Oakville :)
Oscar The Grouch,Oct 28 2008, 08:43 PM Wrote:Make these mandatory in vehicles and you won't need a bill.
[right][snapback]275413[/snapback][/right]

Illegal here... (jammer)
andrewned,Nov 4 2008, 09:01 PM Wrote:
ZX3guy2000,Nov 1 2008, 01:11 AM Wrote:I'm definitely all for winter tires!!  

Someone start a winter driving school,

Check Skid Control guys in Oakville :)
[right][snapback]276007[/snapback][/right]

Yep, my father started going there in the late 60's or very early 70's when it was BP.
Old enough to know me limit, yet young enough to exceed it.
Did you guys also know that this so-called bill also includes all kinds of other devices? Basically anything with a screen in view of the driver, that isn't NAV or OBD will also be banned...
So much for my carputer!
f***ing Liberal cock suckers!

[Image: Dash001.jpg]

[Image: Dash002.jpg]
[Image: 160510.png]
[Image: 160577.png]
Yeah that sucks, I just put in a pioneer double din deck with NAV in my subby.

Its got all the safety features hooked up though...guess time will tell.
Thats something I hate about my new unit when compared to my stick on windsheild Garmin unit...you cant just punch in a new location and go....you have to have the car stopped, hand brake on, then search for your new address...basically need to know where your going before you leave your location.
Flofocus,Nov 10 2008, 10:27 AM Wrote:Yeah that sucks, I just put in a pioneer double din deck with NAV in my subby.

Thats something I hate about my new unit when compared to my stick on windsheild Garmin unit...you cant just punch in a new location and go....you have to have the car stopped, hand brake on, then search for your new address...basically need to know where your going before you leave your location.
[right][snapback]276189[/snapback][/right]

Thing is Flo, auto GPS units have been like this for years (Needing to be at a dead stop before doing something like entering an address) my Quest behaves the same way (and I have no problem with that, unless the unit allows voice entry of information)

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Nov 10 2008, 02:34 PM Wrote:
Flofocus,Nov 10 2008, 10:27 AM Wrote:Yeah that sucks, I just put in a pioneer double din deck with NAV in my subby.

[right][snapback]276189[/snapback][/right]

Thing is Flo, auto GPS units have been like this for years [right][snapback]276203[/snapback][/right]

Not the garmin. You can search for addresses, add via points, etc while moving.

I understand why they do it, and I didnt notice it until Andrea tried putting in an address while I was driving....I thought the nav feature was broken or something. I wouldnt be searching for addresses while driving anyways, but my passenger should be able to find one...
WuNgUnSVT,Nov 10 2008, 11:23 AM Wrote:[Image: Dash001.jpg]

[right][snapback]276188[/snapback][/right]

Holy Big Knob Batman! :lol:
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
interesting thread, and thats one big knob lol.

the law is interesting but i dont see the point of allowing bluetooth devices. because holding a phone or not isn't the cause of the distraction its listening to the person talk. as far as im concerned anyway. besides stick the phone in a cup holder and put it on speaker problem solved and a really ghetto bluetooth setup.
Little bit of show, little bit of go.
Spinal,Nov 12 2008, 12:41 PM Wrote:interesting thread, and thats one big knob lol.

the law is interesting but i dont see the point of allowing bluetooth devices. because holding a phone or not isn't the cause of the distraction its listening to the person talk. as far as im concerned anyway. besides stick the phone in a cup holder and put it on speaker problem solved and a really ghetto bluetooth setup.
[right][snapback]276287[/snapback][/right]
I don't have a problem with the "talking" part. If you're not a complete idiot talking on the phone should be no different than talking to your passenger.

The problem I have is when people are holding the phone to their ears they stop turning their heads to look around them or check their mirrors.
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*