Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guys, Talk To Your Mp's
Here's the thing, honestly do any of us need a car that can exceed 150km/h? I can tell you that for 90% of the population this law would have zero impact and that's why its even on the table.

Now whether the auto manufacturers cry foul over having to build these things for Canada only (I know GM bitched WRT to the DRL's which was a lot less invasive to build in)

The catch is though, if they have to build in speed limiters, how long before the auto makers build 'em into cars destined for the US? (Easier to build cars all the same) and does it survive the US backlash?

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Sep 4 2008, 09:19 PM Wrote:Here's the thing, honestly do any of us need a car that can exceed 150km/h?  I can tell you that for 90% of the population this law would have zero impact and that's why its even on the table.

Now whether the auto manufacturers cry foul over having to build these things for Canada only (I know GM bitched WRT to the DRL's which was a lot less invasive to build in)

The catch is though, if they have to build in speed limiters, how long before the auto makers build 'em into cars destined for the US? (Easier to build cars all the same) and does it survive the US backlash?

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]271657[/snapback][/right]

Here's the rub:

We're enthusiasts. Perhaps we now tweak for torque (instead of speed), or fuel economy (as I'm doing right now with the Escape), or lower RPMs @ speed (kinda out in left field with that one but bear with me, it's getting good)... how do you dyno and tune so that your entire rev range is safe under load?

Most dyno pulls are in 3rd with a 4-speed auto and 3rd or 4th with a 5- or 6-speed manual/auto. How do you make a full pull when your limiter will kill your pull due to indicated road speed in above said gears? I know for a fact @ 6000 RPMs in 2nd gear I'm over 130 KM/H.

Indeed, how do new vehicles get tuned at the factory? Are the limiters programmed after the stock tunes are verified on the test mules? If so, we're no further ahead than where we are now.

The governors are already there, they're present in every car sold in Canada right now that doesn't have Z-rated tires and a true sports car heritage. My Escape is limited to ~ 160 KM/H. The governor can't be eliminated but it can be raised... so how will that be different than now? I'm sure they'll be circumvented in due course all over again. What's next - spot checks at the side of the road for emissions and a functioning and correctly-set limiter?

This is a step in against the freedom to do as you will with the product that you're sold, so long as you conduct your vehicle in accordance with the laws of the road. Notice that I didn't call it a right. Nor did I say it was perfectly legit. We're on the edge of a razor with this one and if this law goes through, we'll likely wind up falling straight back onto the sharp edge of the blade. If mods that bring power are next to be outlawed, "too much power" is next and we'll all have V6s at the absolute most with the exception of emergency services and the armed forces.

Where we go from there depends on whether or not you see that as a benefit to society. Personally, I'm so far from seeing that as a benefit they might try to declare me legally blind. :angry:

/end rant
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
ANTHONYD,Sep 4 2008, 03:34 PM Wrote:I think it's great.
[right][snapback]271646[/snapback][/right]

Of course YOU would. You dont have any sort of fun driving. We understand. Well....not really, I could never understand how anybody would support this kind of BS.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
NefCanuck,Sep 4 2008, 09:19 PM Wrote:Here's the thing, honestly do any of us need a car that can exceed 150km/h? [right][snapback]271657[/snapback][/right]
I certainly do. I dont want to be going down a straight stretch at Calabogie to be hitting a rev limiter at 150km/hr. What fun is racing if you cant race your car? :rolleyes:
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
CanadaSVT,Sep 4 2008, 06:34 PM Wrote:
Frost__2001,Sep 4 2008, 03:26 PM Wrote:As for limiters, we already have them on our cars if you think about it. the Focus is capped at 175-180 km/ph.

and many have eliminated the limiter, so what would be the point of this Bill?
[right][snapback]271654[/snapback][/right]

So when I had got my car NEW I was a lil mean with it at night testing the top speeds on the 410 south bound. Mine never capped out and I was just a milimeter off of 200. I never knew that the cars had caps. :huh: Any thoughts on that?
Currently - 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4X4 Work Truck. Needs a Super Charger
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified
Sold - 1992 Astro Van CS Sky Blue Stock
Sold - 1994 Excel 2DR HB Teal First Car

Flofocus,Sep 5 2008, 07:50 AM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Sep 4 2008, 09:19 PM Wrote:Here's the thing, honestly do any of us need a car that can exceed 150km/h? [right][snapback]271657[/snapback][/right]
I certainly do. I dont want to be going down a straight stretch at Calabogie to be hitting a rev limiter at 150km/hr. What fun is racing if you cant race your car? :rolleyes:
[right][snapback]271665[/snapback][/right]
Cars manufactured before Jan 1, 2010 will be exempt ... the performance industry will find a way around this for true competition vehicles ... a solution like the x-cal2 would be ideal - street tune / track tune ... the industry hasn't weighed in yet - wonder what they'll think about being forced to manufacture a vehicle with an Ontario-only limit - they may yet have some influence to bring to bear.

As someone who has had a fair bit of high-performance drivier training, I can honestly say that for driving on public roads I don't need a car that goes more than 150.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
I agree tottaly most of these other drivers that speed seem not to have much controll of there vehicals, but if you ever get a racing charge put on your ticket try to get a stunt writen next to it, My gf tolled me that they go over the racing and its only a stunt charge then it's a lot cheaper don't know y.
Currently - 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4X4 Work Truck. Needs a Super Charger
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified
Sold - 1992 Astro Van CS Sky Blue Stock
Sold - 1994 Excel 2DR HB Teal First Car

ZTWsquared,Sep 5 2008, 08:30 AM Wrote:As someone who has had a fair bit of high-performance drivier training, I can honestly say that for driving on public roads I don't need a car that goes more than 150.
[right][snapback]271667[/snapback][/right]

Here's the thing bud... wait till it gets dropped to 140, then 130, then 120... then 100. What happens when you're behind a semi on a 2-lane doing 80 at best and you need to pass? Passing on 2-lanes without passing lanes will become almost impossible with any real amount of traffic present. I'm not a civil or transportation engineer, but something tells me that the short-term effect on having massive amounts of vehicles all running different speed governors will only lead to mass traffic chaos.

Same for the 400-series highways. Ontario drivers will ultimately be stragglers on their own roads as out-of-province cars and trucks run amuck and we're left plodding along. Plus, with the lack of speeding revenue to the province... where do you think they're going to make up the difference? New taxes, surcharges and levies, natch.

And they'll have to, because once fuel use is regulated by vehicle roadspeed (110-120 km/h levels)... gas tax revenues will fall yet again. They're going to force you to save money on gas by using less, but then they'll take it right out of your hands again with another tax. Watch and see.

It's just like gasoline prices and taxation... the federal government will never do anything about anything less than blatant and reproducible price fixing at gas stations (although it happens invisibly every day) because of the fixed percentile in taxes they receive on ever litre of gas sold - both GST and otherwise. Different levels of government, same principles - take away one source of proven revenue and another (at least, if not two) will arise to take its place.

Hail HYDRA?
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Doesn't 50 over qualify you for vehicle impoundment and a licence suspension anyways? This won't affect me at all. But it does suck that the goverment can just shove us into a corner and give it to us from behind.
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
I personally cringe at having my speed limiter set too low.

Sometimes you're trying to pass 2 tandem trailer transports that are tailgating each other up a single lane hill with good visibility, but you can't just pass at 105kph and get around them safely.

I hit a situation in a sebring convertible trying to pass traffic that wouldn't let me in while I had a transport suddenly appear in the oncoming lane... having the car hit the rev limiter on a straight stretch of road when I needed to be ahead of someone in a hurry was a little disconcerting.

My biggest pet peeve is getting stuck behind someone who thinks you should only pass at 5kph over the passed traffic... I don't want to be forced to be one of those people.

Granted, speed limiters are easily circumvented... so it's not a huge worry for me.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

Well there goes another chip outta our freedom block. Wont have anything left if it keeps going like this.
2004 Ford Focus ZX5 MTX75 - Liquid Grey -

15.7 @ 86mph

1994 Pontiac Trans AM 25th Anniversary 6 spd -

12.3 @ 110mph

2013 Ford Focus ST - Oxford White

1/4 TBD
[Image: image,Burnin1,black,blue.png]