Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Iphone News.
ZX3guy2000,Jul 10 2008, 10:57 AM Wrote:The average amount of data used on the Iphone in the states last year was only 100 MB  thus making the 400 MB offere with a voice plan of 150 daytime mins unlt eve/weekends and also throwing in visual voicemail and even some text messages a pretty good plan .  These plans also come with a unlt wifi on any rogers/fido hotspot in the city ( normally if you go to starbucks and use wifi, you have to pay max $30 / mth) .  With this your iphone with switch over to the wifi, (@ starbucks / work/home) thus making your data consumption lower than what people think they will use.[right][snapback]268421[/snapback][/right]

Uhh, I guess i'm not Average. I've used easily a GIG, but I DO know many people who have used approx 100-400 MEGS a month.. I also like the exchange mail server on the iphone, i havent set mine up yet, but plan on soon.
My other ride is your Mom
MB usage really depends on how geeky one is...

Before I got my new AV receiver I was only averaging 6 - 7 GB on my DSL connection, but now that I have the option of using streaming audio direct from the receiver, my useage has been bumped up to some 15GB / month (high quality streaming audio for hours on end chews up bandwidth something fierce)

I could see someone using something like live365 through their iPhone easily running afoul of even 6GB / month if they use it a lot in that manner (home/car/office)

NefCanuck
But does running Exchange on an iPhone not require something along the lines of RPC over HTTPS? You're looking at hosting certificates, buying certificates, configuring RPC over HTTPS (requires two Exchange servers for Exchange 2003, can't remember if you can get away with one in 2007 because of the split roles), reconfiguring your firewall(s)... if you even have the capacity to redirect singular IP traffic for port 443, hosting a new IP address (potentially) just to support iPhones' connectivity needs to said RPC over HTTPS frontend server, etc etc.

OR, you could add Blackberry Enterprise Server services to an existing or new server, purchase your licenses and connect directly to RIM's servers and sync your Blackberries all in the same day. No extra SSL certificates to buy and renew, no holes to open in your firewalls, no credentials to enter for RPC authentication over HTTPS. No potential extra IP aliases to host in order to run your redirections, no extra DNS records to create / wait on propagation so you can use FQDN for destination addressing for your Exchange client... nothing striking at all.

Sorry guys, but from a Systems Admin point of view, a Blackberry solution is a hell of a lot easier to plan/deploy/configure/support than an iPhone solution (as I know of them right now).
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
NefCanuck,Jul 10 2008, 11:47 AM Wrote:MB usage really depends on how geeky one is...

Before I got my new AV receiver I was only averaging 6 - 7 GB on my DSL connection, but now that I have the option of using streaming audio direct from the receiver, my useage has been bumped up to some 15GB / month (high quality streaming audio for hours on end chews up bandwidth something fierce)

I could see someone using something like live365 through their iPhone easily running afoul of even 6GB / month if they use it a lot in that manner (home/car/office)

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]268426[/snapback][/right]

But you have to think, if you are geeky you are going to have the wifi in your home, and most likely your office as well. Which means you wouldn't be using you Data package.

NOS - I'm not that technically so you got me with your response, but in regards to replacing a blackberry for businesses the IPhone is definitely not a replacement in this case. One benefit for a blackberry that Iphone doesn't have is the email compression which is great for business users who receive hundreds of emails a day.

The main reason to purchase an Iphone would be if you want to be connected to the internet anywhere, have a widescreen video ipod, and a revolutionary phone, all in one device, no other device offers what this one does especially at the 3G speeds !!!!

Skirt, Volant Intake, HID projectors, Eibach Suspension, SVT rims
paolo,Jul 10 2008, 11:28 AM Wrote:
Aka,Jul 10 2008, 09:59 AM Wrote:That's just it. There IS not competition in Canada. So they get to wait an infinite amount of time to introduce those better plans. As in never.
[right][snapback]268419[/snapback][/right]

That's why there is a spectrum auction going on.. If you remember like 8 years ago how many cellular carriers there were, not including re-sellers. There was Microcell Solutions, Clearnet, Telus, Bell, and Rogers, thats 5 companies.. Now we're down to 3. The more new entrants introduced, will force lower rates, and more competitive offerings.
[right][snapback]268423[/snapback][/right]

yeah but there were more then just those you mention At&t Canada, MCI Canada, Sprint Canada, but they were all bought out by Rogers. Even as they are offereing more space for compition, who would come here with the big 3 telecom here? Virgin Moble is the only one that came and they are struggling. I would love to see Vodafone come to Canada as they are the best provider in Europe & Asia. but do you really see them coming here to set up a GSM network overnight? I don't.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
NOS2Go4Me,Jul 10 2008, 05:48 PM Wrote:Sorry guys, but from a Systems Admin point of view, a Blackberry solution is a hell of a lot easier to plan/deploy/configure/support than an iPhone solution (as I know of them right now).
[right][snapback]268428[/snapback][/right]

i think at the end of the day BB is a business tool and Iphone is just a toy for rich kids. or Geeks that have to have everything :)

"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

mo_focus,Jul 10 2008, 04:35 PM Wrote:
NOS2Go4Me,Jul 10 2008, 05:48 PM Wrote:Sorry guys, but from a Systems Admin point of view, a Blackberry solution is a hell of a lot easier to plan/deploy/configure/support than an iPhone solution (as I know of them right now).

i think at the end of the day BB is a business tool and Iphone is just a toy for rich kids. or Geeks that have to have everything :)
[right][snapback]268432[/snapback][/right]

i kinda agree with this, but I'm not either one of the above mentioned and I want it just for the fact of having everything rolled into one device ! I don't currently have an ipod, so that is a big feature over my current mp3 player, which is almost dead, as well as my cell phone (old Motorola V551 for those who know it ---it is time to be replaced ) !!
Skirt, Volant Intake, HID projectors, Eibach Suspension, SVT rims
NOS2Go4Me,Jul 10 2008, 01:48 PM Wrote:But does running Exchange on an iPhone not require something along the lines of RPC over HTTPS? You're looking at hosting certificates, buying certificates, configuring RPC over HTTPS (requires two Exchange servers for Exchange 2003, can't remember if you can get away with one in 2007 because of the split roles), reconfiguring your firewall(s)... if you even have the capacity to redirect singular IP traffic for port 443, hosting a new IP address (potentially) just to support iPhones' connectivity needs to said RPC over HTTPS frontend server, etc etc.

OR, you could add Blackberry Enterprise Server services to an existing or new server, purchase your licenses and connect directly to RIM's servers and sync your Blackberries all in the same day. No extra SSL certificates to buy and renew, no holes to open in your firewalls, no credentials to enter for RPC authentication over HTTPS. No potential extra IP aliases to host in order to run your redirections, no extra DNS records to create / wait on propagation so you can use FQDN for destination addressing for your Exchange client... nothing striking at all.

Sorry guys, but from a Systems Admin point of view, a Blackberry solution is a hell of a lot easier to plan/deploy/configure/support than an iPhone solution (as I know of them right now).

NOS, the iPhone connects via SSL to ActiveSync for Exchange... They outline it here for us sys admins/messaging folks... :)
Apple iPhone Exchange PDF

Even though Apple has added it, corporately you'll see BB keeping 99.8% of the enterprise business (especially with the Bold and Storm coming). The iPhone will be for the execs/VPs that IT and the CTO can't say 'no' to! :lol:

Ryan
Ryan and the Silver Sedan
++++++++++++++++++++++++
2008 Mazda5 GS/Copper Red Mica/2.3 MZR 5AT/22% Tint
[Image: 49951.png]
2011 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew/Race Red/3.5 TT EcoBoost
reldridge,Jul 11 2008, 09:49 AM Wrote:Even though Apple has added it, corporately you'll see BB keeping 99.8% of the enterprise business (especially with the Bold and Storm coming). The iPhone will be for the execs/VPs that IT and the CTO can't say 'no' to! :lol:

Ryan
[right][snapback]268469[/snapback][/right]
Pretty sure it's called the Thunder currently. Storm is either nothing or something else entirely. The Thunder will be the touch screen Black Berry.
Silver '05 Saabaru 9-2X Aero
Aka,Jul 11 2008, 10:04 AM Wrote:
reldridge,Jul 11 2008, 09:49 AM Wrote:Even though Apple has added it, corporately you'll see BB keeping 99.8% of the enterprise business (especially with the Bold and Storm coming). The iPhone will be for the execs/VPs that IT and the CTO can't say 'no' to! :lol:

Ryan
Pretty sure it's called the Thunder currently. Storm is either nothing or something else entirely. The Thunder will be the touch screen Black Berry.
[right][snapback]268470[/snapback][/right]

It was the Thunder, now the Storm...
Update as of today...
++++++++++++++++++++++++
Well... I thought I was current. My information had told me it was the Thunder. Oh well.
Silver '05 Saabaru 9-2X Aero
Aka,Jul 11 2008, 12:18 PM Wrote:Well... I thought I was current. My information had told me it was the Thunder. Oh well.
[right][snapback]268492[/snapback][/right]

Either way, you'll see one in my hands before you see an iPhone! :D I'm actually thinking about the Bold, so I have keys and no touch screen...
++++++++++++++++++++++++
reldridge,Jul 11 2008, 09:49 AM Wrote:
NOS2Go4Me,Jul 10 2008, 01:48 PM Wrote:But does running Exchange on an iPhone not require something along the lines of RPC over HTTPS? You're looking at hosting certificates, buying certificates, configuring RPC over HTTPS (requires two Exchange servers for Exchange 2003, can't remember if you can get away with one in 2007 because of the split roles), reconfiguring your firewall(s)... if you even have the capacity to redirect singular IP traffic for port 443, hosting a new IP address (potentially) just to support iPhones' connectivity needs to said RPC over HTTPS frontend server, etc etc.

NOS, the iPhone connects via SSL to ActiveSync for Exchange... They outline it here for us sys admins/messaging folks... :)
Apple iPhone Exchange PDF

Even though Apple has added it, corporately you'll see BB keeping 99.8% of the enterprise business (especially with the Bold and Storm coming). The iPhone will be for the execs/VPs that IT and the CTO can't say 'no' to! :lol:

Ryan

Yeah man, Edge Transport Server is an Exchange 2007 role for a server to hold (you probably knew that already) and forwarding iPhone through ActiveSync requires credentials, etc.

It requires that you already have all that crap, which was basically what I detailed above. I guess if you like troubleshooting latency and authentication issues, it works. Personally, I'm glad we have BBs.

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
they sold 1 milion 3g iphones today world wide, in 22 countries, thats pretty big demand, you'd be stupud NOT to carry this phone if you were a carrior
paolo,Jul 14 2008, 07:30 PM Wrote:they sold 1 milion 3g iphones today world wide, in 22 countries, thats pretty big demand, you'd be stupud NOT to carry this phone if you were a carrior
[right][snapback]268723[/snapback][/right]

For the money they're scraping out of people for those phones? You're absolutely right!

We pay more in North America for the phones with the least functionality simply because we're dumb enough to pay blindly. We also pay way more per minute than they do overseas (when adjusted for common currency values) for "superior" networks that they then roll out later (different networks, same features) for less cost to Europe/Asia. We're bankrolling their development cash with the least reward to the consumer.

I mean, I bought a Sony Ericsson W580i and I can't even disable the s***tay-ass Rogers music player that's Java-based and completely useless with my 2GB+ of music on the phone. Also, even more awesomely, Rogers binds the "Music" key (to their s***ty player) to the same button you press to hang up the phone call. So, if you double-tap or if the other person hangs up a fraction of a second before you do - BINGO! Useless for 3+ minutes - I've timed it numerous times. You also can't remove the mapping for the Rogers player to that button - thanks Rogers! Noone wants to use your crappy player, but that doesn't seem to matter!

The Walkman player that comes with the phone and is bound to the Walkman-symbol button? It works GREAT! No lag, no waiting, playlisting can be done on the phone easily and quickly? On the Rogers player, none of the above applies.

Here's another issue that's endemic to all the Canadian cell phone carriers as well, it's a stupid geeky thing but it just shows you how little thought goes through their heads...

None of the cell providers in this country allow text messaging via Blue Tooth, not a big deal you say?

Except if you have a method to read those messages via BT (Hello SYNC <_<)

Short sighted idiots... and having to pay to receive texts now is just the topper :angry:

NefCanuck
NOS2Go4Me,Jul 15 2008, 11:26 AM Wrote:
paolo,Jul 14 2008, 07:30 PM Wrote:they sold 1 milion 3g iphones today world wide, in 22 countries, thats pretty big demand, you'd be stupud NOT to carry this phone if you were a carrior
[right][snapback]268723[/snapback][/right]

For the money they're scraping out of people for those phones? You're absolutely right!

We pay more in North America for the phones with the least functionality simply because we're dumb enough to pay blindly. We also pay way more per minute than they do overseas (when adjusted for common currency values) for "superior" networks that they then roll out later (different networks, same features) for less cost to Europe/Asia. We're bankrolling their development cash with the least reward to the consumer.

I mean, I bought a Sony Ericsson W580i and I can't even disable the s***tay-ass Rogers music player that's Java-based and completely useless with my 2GB+ of music on the phone. Also, even more awesomely, Rogers binds the "Music" key (to their s***ty player) to the same button you press to hang up the phone call. So, if you double-tap or if the other person hangs up a fraction of a second before you do - BINGO! Useless for 3+ minutes - I've timed it numerous times. You also can't remove the mapping for the Rogers player to that button - thanks Rogers! Noone wants to use your crappy player, but that doesn't seem to matter!

The Walkman player that comes with the phone and is bound to the Walkman-symbol button? It works GREAT! No lag, no waiting, playlisting can be done on the phone easily and quickly? On the Rogers player, none of the above applies.
[right][snapback]268771[/snapback][/right]

That sounds like a rant to me, What does that have to do with the iPhone? the iPhone is not carrier branded hope you know. Myself as well as other FC'ers apprecaite your rant, but this is not the form or post for it, thanks...

A quick wotan can de-brand your phone in 2 seconds and answer all of your lifes miseries about your cellphone you would not have to make such a post like above, but will void warranty.