Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In Car Or Helmet Camera? Suggestions?
Helmet cameras are good for reviewing exactly what you were looking at, well, kinda anyways.
A helmet cam would not be best in a car since it will probably be too high and either hit the roof or get poor visibility because of the top of the windshield.
I still like what Stikypod has to offer. It is proven and does not cost too much.
I know what he means about not wanting to get stabbed if he gets in an accident (god forbid) and also the race track officials will have something to say about it!

http://www.stickypod.com/race_camera_mount.html

Quote:Did you know that:

Most race cameras can make time lapse Races that last for several hours.
    You can mount your camera to any smooth surface in your race car.
    You can setup your race camera mount on your dash in the front or back.
    Our race camera mounts can be used with any consumer or professional camera.

Here are some Sticky Pod facts:

Suction Force: 200 pounds! (that's how much force it takes to pull the Sticky Pod Original or ProPak model straight off)
    To Release: Just roll up the edge of the suction cup with your finger to release the vacuum pressure.
    Dimensions: Rectangle - 11-1/2 X 9-1/2 inches, triangle - 8-1/2 X 9-1/2 (locked down in place)
    Extensions: solid black anodized CNC machined aluminum rods (not hollow tubes)
    Construction: All metal, no plastic at all.
    Weather Climate: sub-zero to 105 degrees F (it doesn't get any hotter here in Denver)
    Duration: Up to 30 days when sitting still, around 4 hours in a very hostile (off road or racing) environment.
    Speed Limit: At least 175 MPH! (We do not know the Sticky Pod's speed limit!)
2007 CD Silver ST  **** FOR SALE ****
2014 Performance Blue ST  **** SOLD ****

2016 Ford Edge Sport Shadow Black
naz,Jun 10 2008, 10:09 PM Wrote:i thought about that headrest style mount some more.. not sure i am comfortable with it.  seems like if i rolled the car that bar would punch through my helmet and kill me.. that's scary  :(

i guess i should just walk around next time and see what the fast guys are using in their cars
[right][snapback]266455[/snapback][/right]

I'd think if you rolled the car you'd want to be dead. The raping your insurance will give you will make you wish you were dead.
j3rt,Jun 11 2008, 05:15 PM Wrote:I'd think if you rolled the car you'd want to be dead.  The raping your insurance will give you will make you wish you were dead.
[right][snapback]266548[/snapback][/right]

i am doing driver education, not timed competition. its just like rolling the car on the highway.

i'd MUCH rather walk away from the incident and talk $ than be dead
naz,Jun 11 2008, 01:31 PM Wrote:i am doing driver education, not timed competition.  its just like rolling the car on the highway.
[right][snapback]266553[/snapback][/right]
Back OT - I belong to the BMW club up here and we're not allowed to tape or even photograph our Advanced Driver Ed sessions.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
ZTWsquared,Jun 11 2008, 05:34 PM Wrote:
naz,Jun 11 2008, 01:31 PM Wrote:i am doing driver education, not timed competition.  its just like rolling the car on the highway.
[right][snapback]266553[/snapback][/right]
Back OT - I belong to the BMW club up here and we're not allowed to tape or even photograph our Advanced Driver Ed sessions.
[right][snapback]266554[/snapback][/right]

yup.. most places do not, but NASA HPDE allows it, so i'm thinking of taking advantage of it.

ZX3_2NV i'm planning on using it in car. the reason i thought a helmet cam might be helpful is that in a lot of corners i am looking out of the side windows not the windshield. if the camera is taped to the windshield i might miss out on some good info... but the rigid mount to the headrest is probably better because the camera will not move as much
http://cscs.ca/content/view/93/1/
DruZX3 You Tube Page
My Rides on Car Domain

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 - Daily Driver
2008 Lincoln MKX Limited Edition - Grocery Getter
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Rode and Sold
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade - Offroaded and Sold
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X - R.I.P. Electrical Fire
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 - Traded in Now DrunkinMonkeys Car
2003 Ford Taurus Wagon - Inherited Drove and Sold
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 Turbo - Award Winning 336 WHP - Parted and Scraped
1990 Ford Festiva - My 1st Car

[Image: ZX3PixelCarEngineVIEW.png]
ZX3_2NV,Jun 12 2008, 06:08 PM Wrote:http://cscs.ca/content/view/93/1/
[right][snapback]266679[/snapback][/right]

do you know if that camera has special vibration damping to keep the picture clear when filming? or would it be the same as just making a mount for my existing camera
i think so they said its made for being active and moving around so im guessing they have some kind of shock video thing but the cool thing is they have tons of different mounts i can pick one up for u if u can't make it to any of the events do a lil more resarch or them i haven't tryed googaling them or anything but when they showed us a video of them gokarting with it attached on there head it was pretty smooth
DruZX3 You Tube Page
My Rides on Car Domain

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 - Daily Driver
2008 Lincoln MKX Limited Edition - Grocery Getter
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Rode and Sold
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade - Offroaded and Sold
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X - R.I.P. Electrical Fire
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 - Traded in Now DrunkinMonkeys Car
2003 Ford Taurus Wagon - Inherited Drove and Sold
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 Turbo - Award Winning 336 WHP - Parted and Scraped
1990 Ford Festiva - My 1st Car

[Image: ZX3PixelCarEngineVIEW.png]
naz,Jun 10 2008, 02:09 PM Wrote:seems like if i rolled the car that bar would punch through my helmet and kill me.. that's scary  :(

[right][snapback]266455[/snapback][/right]

if you were strapped solidly into your car and rolled, and your head moved that far, you might be dead anyways.

and to the other guys comments, my bar is actually made out of some titanium scrap i got from work ;).

also i made a new version using some 1.5" pvc pipe. i felt it was easier to work with and to aim the camera, and the sharp end of the mount would be a little softer.
'04 liquid grey ZX3 - my FSP auto-x car
'02 infra-red SVT  - my street car, now for sale
thenorm,Jun 13 2008, 11:13 PM Wrote:if you were strapped solidly into your car and rolled, and your head moved that far, you might be dead anyways.
[right][snapback]266828[/snapback][/right]

i don't have a rollcage and harness. stock car, stock seat belts
I've been using , on a Off Road bike , a camera sold by http://www.helmetcamera.com for a couple years and it worked perfectly , it was velcroed to my helmet .

The video is 6 years old but it will give you a idea how much abuse it can take.
Quality of the video has been reduce to be web freindly. :)

Helmet camera ride
Martin !
...V8 RX7...

...[Image: stan.gif]
Excellent vid mpcv...nice riding.

Shows what a simple camera setup can capture too.