Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Have One Invite For A Test Drive/auto-x
So from the sounds of things they had the track set up to really showcase what the Mini (and its competitor's) could do under extreme conditions but I'm curious as to whether you think that your rankings would have changed had the course been a little more "forgiving"

NefCanuck
2001 ZTS,Jun 2 2008, 10:40 AM Wrote:OE rubber all round, they are surprisningly open and honest about things.

WRX's do well handling wise but in a radiaclly different way

As per last year the Mazda was just terrible

[right][snapback]265684[/snapback][/right]

your focus is using RT615 falkens? it would probably have smoked everything there on the basis of tire alone

Sube the long travel suspension and focus on wheel control instead of body control makes it feel worse on a slow tight course for sure.. but i personally would select it as a track weapon over any of the others listed

i'm surprised the mazdaspeed stuff sucks so badly.. i'm curious enough to try it myself

EDIT: nef what do you mean by 'forgiving' course
naz,

What I meant was that the course would likely have been designed to play up the Mini's strengths and downplay any weaknesses versus a course designed more generically, which would in turn likely make its competitors look that much worse...

Iit'd be like throwing a mid-szed car on that course... the mid-sizer would likely lurch & lean in the sharper curves like a drunk on free beer night unless the car was an uber-pimp model...

NefCAnuck
NefCanuck,Jun 2 2008, 10:33 PM Wrote:naz,

What I meant was that the course would likely have been designed to play up the Mini's strengths and downplay any weaknesses versus a course designed more generically, which would in turn likely make its competitors look that much worse...

Iit'd be like throwing a mid-szed car on that course... the mid-sizer would likely lurch & lean in the sharper curves like a drunk on free beer night unless the car was an uber-pimp model...

NefCAnuck
[right][snapback]265755[/snapback][/right]

IMHO the course doesn't matter. if they threw a WRX in there it would roll like a boat and depending on driving style it would understeer like crazy. that doesn't change the fact it is extremely capable and easy to drive fast.

i dont think you can't hide the stuff that matters.. i think the most you can do with course design is add more straights to let the high hp cars get better raw times.
dbl post
Skirt, Volant Intake, HID projectors, Eibach Suspension, SVT rims
naz,Jun 2 2008, 04:29 PM Wrote:
2001 ZTS,Jun 2 2008, 10:40 AM Wrote:OE rubber all round, they are surprisningly open and honest about things.

WRX's do well handling wise but in a radiaclly different way

As per last year the Mazda was just terrible

[right][snapback]265684[/snapback][/right]

your focus is using RT615 falkens? it would probably have smoked everything there on the basis of tire alone

Sube the long travel suspension and focus on wheel control instead of body control makes it feel worse on a slow tight course for sure.. but i personally would select it as a track weapon over any of the others listed

i'm surprised the mazdaspeed stuff sucks so badly.. i'm curious enough to try it myself

EDIT: nef what do you mean by 'forgiving' course
[right][snapback]265747[/snapback][/right]

I think the mazdaspeed would perform differently. Looking at the pics that is the either the base sport model or the GT, but it isn't the mazdaspeed version. (but then again, not sure if the suspension setup is different.)

Just checked the original post and confirmed the mazda 3 sport....

Skirt, Volant Intake, HID projectors, Eibach Suspension, SVT rims
yes it was GT 2.3L
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
I'll be hitting up the course tomorrow should be fun did they have any problems taking an extra person?
DruZX3 You Tube Page
My Rides on Car Domain

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 - Daily Driver
2008 Lincoln MKX Limited Edition - Grocery Getter
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Rode and Sold
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade - Offroaded and Sold
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X - R.I.P. Electrical Fire
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 - Traded in Now DrunkinMonkeys Car
2003 Ford Taurus Wagon - Inherited Drove and Sold
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 Turbo - Award Winning 336 WHP - Parted and Scraped
1990 Ford Festiva - My 1st Car

[Image: ZX3PixelCarEngineVIEW.png]
ZX3_2NV,Jun 5 2008, 11:39 AM Wrote:I'll be hitting up the course tomorrow should be fun did they have any problems taking an extra person?
[right][snapback]266017[/snapback][/right]

nope
125whp/129wtq
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
ZX3_2NV,Jun 5 2008, 11:39 AM Wrote:I'll be hitting up the course tomorrow should be fun did they have any problems taking an extra person?

I think I saw you. I was at the 10am session Friday morning but I arrived about an hour early so I was watching the earlier session. Were you wearing shorts and a ball cap angled off centre? I think I also saw KOS with his 30 yr old RHD Mini.

The test drive was awesome! I wish I could test drive all cars this way before purchasing them. You really got to test the handling limits of the various cars albeit only up to second gear.

The Mini S was pretty impressive with nice crisp go kart like handling. The Mazda 3 felt like a minivan through the course in comparison. The Volvo C30 tires were squealing with every turn (obviously under-tired compared to the rest.) The VW GTI's brakes seem spongy although not too bad in handling but nowhere near as crisp as the Mini.

On this course with a back to back comparison you could really tell the cars apart. If you were to test drive them from the dealership on a road course with the salesperson next to you would not be able to push the cars to the levels on this closed course. You would probably have a more difficult time deciding which car is better.

After this test drive, the Mini Cooper S Clubman definitely moved up a number of notches on my list of next possible cars to purchase.
vintage 2000 malibu blue ZX3 ***SOLD***
2013 performance blue ST

TEAM P.I.T.A.
dBlast,Jun 6 2008, 08:04 PM Wrote:

I think I saw you. I was at the 10am session Friday morning but I arrived about an hour early so I was watching the earlier session. Were you wearing shorts and a ball cap angled off centre? I think I also saw KOS with his 30 yr old RHD Mini.

The test drive was awesome! I wish I could test drive all cars this way before purchasing them. You really got to test the handling limits of the various cars albeit only up to second gear.

The Mini S was pretty impressive with nice crisp go kart like handling. The Mazda 3 felt like a minivan through the course in comparison. The Volvo C30 tires were squealing with every turn (obviously under-tired compared to the rest.) The VW GTI's brakes seem spongy although not too bad in handling but nowhere near as crisp as the Mini.

On this course with a back to back comparison you could really tell the cars apart. If you were to test drive them from the dealership on a road course with the salesperson next to you would not be able to push the cars to the levels on this closed course. You would probably have a more difficult time deciding which car is better.

After this test drive, the Mini Cooper S Clubman definitely moved up a number of notches on my list of next possible cars to purchase.
[right][snapback]266197[/snapback][/right]

for 34 grand u can buy a better looking if not better perfomance car.....that price turned me down right away
125whp/129wtq
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
dBlast,Jun 6 2008, 05:04 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]266197[/snapback][/right]

Yaa that was me I saw a blue Focus with a jackson racing supercharger licence plate cover but i didn't know who it belonged to and i thought there was someone in my session but i didn't see any Focus in the parking lot so i didn't know who it was so it was KOS with his old school mini i saw it i tripped out when i saw it was rhd pretty rare if u ask me
DruZX3 You Tube Page
My Rides on Car Domain

jesus its hard reading your posts. periods man, periods.

Don't write like that for your ford interviews! :P
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
like ive said before and ill say it agian this is a forum im not working or need to be offical so my run on sentences and bad puncuation spelling will stay but i have got rid of most of the msn longo like ur and w/e
DruZX3 You Tube Page
My Rides on Car Domain

omg roflcopter is owning lolercoster
125whp/129wtq
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
The goggles, they do nothing!
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!