Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is It Just Me
Snow tires are great but i still manged to get stuck twice the winter not because of traction but because my cars lowered and it gets stuck like a beach whale. Snow touching frame and whels not touching anything = a buddy pulling you out with a winch.
DruZX3 You Tube Page
My Rides on Car Domain

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 - Daily Driver
2008 Lincoln MKX Limited Edition - Grocery Getter
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Rode and Sold
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade - Offroaded and Sold
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X - R.I.P. Electrical Fire
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 - Traded in Now DrunkinMonkeys Car
2003 Ford Taurus Wagon - Inherited Drove and Sold
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 Turbo - Award Winning 336 WHP - Parted and Scraped
1990 Ford Festiva - My 1st Car

[Image: ZX3PixelCarEngineVIEW.png]
ZX3_2NV,Feb 19 2008, 03:15 PM Wrote:Snow tires are great but i still manged to get stuck twice the winter not because of traction but because my cars lowered and it gets stuck like a beach whale. Snow touching frame and whels not touching anything = a buddy pulling you out with a winch.
[right][snapback]258366[/snapback][/right]

Ah, but lowering a car is taking outside its spec. A spec Focus has been tested as "should" be able to survive a Canadian winter, including the roads, if properly maintained :unsure:

Once you lower it, all bets are off. It's why I only went the SVT suspension route, my car is a daily driver and I have to be able to get where I'm going at all times.

NefCanuck
To quote a man who has more knowledge than I about " The Focus" .. "Lowering your car is a pain in the neck, and the next one they get, it' isn't being lowered" Especially the sedans. Maybe those of you who have a lowered Focus should put a plow on the front :o
Proud member of the CDan nation.
2000 White ZTS: retired
2012 Frosted Glass SEL: active
K&N Filter.....
NefCanuck,Feb 18 2008, 09:40 PM Wrote:
Someguy_ca,Feb 18 2008, 01:38 PM Wrote:I hate winter... There I said it.

And one other thing. The Focus will not be driven next winter, being stuck three times in the past month sucks ass.
[right][snapback]258264[/snapback][/right]

Are you still running the stock A/S rubber in the winter? That's a recipe for issues with the Focus, esp. on unplowed surfaces due to the car's light weight...

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]258287[/snapback][/right]

Winter #3 on Pirelli P6s.... only got stuck once, in my own driveway at that. Never stopped otherwise.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
oldeguy,Feb 20 2008, 11:55 AM Wrote:To quote a man who has more knowledge than I about " The Focus" .. "Lowering your car is a pain in the neck, and the next one they get, it' isn't being lowered" Especially the sedans. Maybe those of you who have a lowered Focus should put a plow on the front  :o
[right][snapback]258409[/snapback][/right]

its why i dont drive my focus in the winter and why i dont really want to touch my suspension on the wrx.

being lowered in the winter = PITA.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
oldeguy,Feb 20 2008, 10:55 AM Wrote:To quote a man who has more knowledge than I about " The Focus" .. "Lowering your car is a pain in the neck, and the next one they get, it' isn't being lowered" Especially the sedans. Maybe those of you who have a lowered Focus should put a plow on the front  :o
[right][snapback]258409[/snapback][/right]

Meh, it depends how far you lower it (same as any car really) sure it may look "cool" but you still have to be able to drive the darn thing when you want to :huh:

NefCanuck
I find it funny that I can take the ZTW around the block to warm it up for the wife, never scraping any snow. Then I get into the Marauder and head off to work...scrape,scrape. The ZTW is only a half inch higher but it makes a big difference. Happily, the lower car has more power to push the snow.
Old enough to know me limit, yet young enough to exceed it.
Every time I want to lower the car, I remember the countless Youbtube videos of lowered cars cracking up on jumps and WRC cars bouncing happily towards the finish line.

I'll pass.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
I lowered my Focus to get rid of the 4x4 look.

Then I went out and bought a 4x4.

Go figure.

:lol:
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
Ha thats funny
DruZX3 You Tube Page
My Rides on Car Domain

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 - Daily Driver
2008 Lincoln MKX Limited Edition - Grocery Getter
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Rode and Sold
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade - Offroaded and Sold
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X - R.I.P. Electrical Fire
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 - Traded in Now DrunkinMonkeys Car
2003 Ford Taurus Wagon - Inherited Drove and Sold
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 Turbo - Award Winning 336 WHP - Parted and Scraped
1990 Ford Festiva - My 1st Car

[Image: ZX3PixelCarEngineVIEW.png]
Flofocus,Feb 20 2008, 04:23 PM Wrote:its why i dont drive my focus in the winter and why i dont really want to touch my suspension on the wrx.

being lowered in the winter = PITA.
[right][snapback]258411[/snapback][/right]

so true. i went from a lowered teg to a 4x4 stylez wrx wagon and its so much more convenient. its nice not to have to go sideways up driveways and worry about the oil pan getting smoked by speed bumps