Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Its Offical, Ford Will Be Importing The Transit
Ford unveils 2010 Transit Connect
Feb. 07, 2008.
Source: Leftlane news

This week at the Chicago Auto Show, Ford announced plans to import the Transit Connect commercial van to North America. Ford's Mark Fields, President of the Americas, says that the compact van will be available "next summer," meaning summer of 2009.

[Image: 2007FordTransit.jpg]

The Transit Connect, (Toureno pictured) on sale in Europe since 2003, is designed to create a new commercial vehicle niche for North America, where large, fuel-thirsty vans like the Ford E-Series have reigned supreme for decades.

The Transit Connect features a 2.0 liter Duratec four cylinder engine and an automatic transmission, although the European-specification vehicles on display in Chicago featured diesel engines and five-speed manual transmissions. The four cylinder/automatic combination is estimated to return 19 mpg in the city and 24 on the highway, a 40 percent increase over full size vans.

Two sliding side doors, vertical 180-degree-opening "barn door" cargo doors, a low floor and a high ceiling differentiate the Transit Connect from its rivals. The XLT model will be available with a 270 degree hinge. Ford claims the vehicles offer 155 cubic feet of cargo space behind the front seats. The load space can accomadate items up to 6.5 feet long and 5 feet wide.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
one down!
now we need the Fiesta, Ka, and the Focus
Hrm, Ford must think based on the Dodge Sprinter sales that their version will do as well (Though the Spinter is damn pricey for what you get)

Bye Bye E-series, gonna miss you ;)

NefCanuck
Earth to Ford. A diesel option would sell like hot cakes.
Someguy_ca,Feb 8 2008, 04:08 AM Wrote:Earth to Ford.  A diesel option would sell like hot cakes.
[right][snapback]257642[/snapback][/right]

exactly! don't even bother bringing anything over unless you plan on putting the diesel in there. 2.0L Duratec is not going to cut it for NA.
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

Another neat use for the Duratec 4-cyls. Nice! What about a 6-speed option to increase fuel economy and extend the range though? 4-speeds and 4-cylinders are kinda pushing it for a commercial application.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
As someone that currently drives a commercial E150 daily, i'd love to drive that transit van and i think it makes total sense to have a 4cyl version. Its a great way for companies to maintain a large van fleet while decreasing fuel costs.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

Not sure why they showed the Toureno, this is what the Transit Connect looks like:

[Image: ford_transit_connect.jpg]

Good move to bring it to NA.

Diesel would sell well, but does Ford have a diesel that will meet US emissions regulations?

Ryan
Ryan and the Silver Sedan
++++++++++++++++++++++++
2008 Mazda5 GS/Copper Red Mica/2.3 MZR 5AT/22% Tint
[Image: 49951.png]
2011 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew/Race Red/3.5 TT EcoBoost
yes..... look at the F350s that are diesel :P

I'm pretty sure those meet emissions standards
Loyal Focus Owner!!!
First: 2003 Ford Focus ZX5
Second: 2002 Ford Focus SVT (#2808 of 4788)
SVTGuy02,Feb 8 2008, 02:01 PM Wrote:yes..... look at the F350s that are diesel :P

I'm pretty sure those meet emissions standards
[right][snapback]257661[/snapback][/right]

Ok, I mean a 4-cylinder diesel that would be classified as a car engine (something in the Euro Duratorq line). :)

[sarcasm]Wait, if they did that, then they could offer a diesel Focus, and a diesel Escape!?!?!?!? Who would want either of those? :D [/sarcasm]

Ryan
Ryan and the Silver Sedan
++++++++++++++++++++++++
2008 Mazda5 GS/Copper Red Mica/2.3 MZR 5AT/22% Tint
[Image: 49951.png]
2011 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew/Race Red/3.5 TT EcoBoost
"not sure why they showed the Toureno"

Its leftlane news they can never get anything right....

This is what I have to say about this: "Ill believe it when I see it"
I drive a 2010 Golf that growls at people when it goes over 3000rpm.
Frost__2001,Feb 7 2008, 09:03 PM Wrote:Ford unveils 2010 Transit Connect
Feb. 07, 2008.
Source: Leftlane news

This week at the Chicago Auto Show, Ford announced plans to import the Transit Connect commercial van to North America. Ford's Mark Fields, President of the Americas, says that the compact van will be available "next summer," meaning summer of 2009.

[Image: 2007FordTransit.jpg]

The Transit Connect,  (Toureno pictured) on sale in Europe since 2003, is designed to create a new commercial vehicle niche for North America, where large, fuel-thirsty vans like the Ford E-Series have reigned supreme for decades.

The Transit Connect features a 2.0 liter Duratec four cylinder engine and an automatic transmission, although the European-specification vehicles on display in Chicago featured diesel engines and five-speed manual transmissions. The four cylinder/automatic combination is estimated to return 19 mpg in the city and 24 on the highway, a 40 percent increase over full size vans.

Two sliding side doors, vertical 180-degree-opening "barn door" cargo doors, a low floor and a high ceiling differentiate the Transit Connect from its rivals. The XLT model will be available with a 270 degree hinge. Ford claims the vehicles offer 155 cubic feet of cargo space behind the front seats. The load space can accomadate items up to 6.5 feet long and 5 feet wide.

[right][snapback]257624[/snapback][/right]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ford Transit Rs Swap ZX3_2NV 8 2,660 02-20-2010, 01:59 PM
Last Post: reldridge
  Its Offical, Ford Will Be Importing The C-max, Frost__2001 12 2,813 07-14-2008, 11:17 PM
Last Post: NOS2Go4Me