Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Unmarked Cruisers
I realize what you are saying, but as you can see... nobody is slowing down. In fact drivers seem to be getting worse. If you had MARKED dummy cars driving up and down the 404 everyone would be driving the speed limit. The driver doesn't have to even be a cop and doesn't have to pull anyone over. People just see the cop car and slow down.... even if they are already going the speed limit. If an unmarked cop car pulls over 1 car and you see it on the side of the road, people slow down for a split second and then speed up knowing that the only cop car around is busy. I visual police presence if far more powerful the a hidden one. Also, you want to fix the cause of a problem and not the symptom. When a cop pulls over a speeder they are only really putting a band-aid on a problem (they catch 1 speeder). The trick is to keep people speeding to begin with.

Boy I sound old. :D
Fix Or Repair Daily - By Choice!
Visit My Site - www.HotRodding.ca
I think that the reason that no one slows down is because frankly I think the financial disincentive to speed isn't strong enough for the worst offenders.

Either that or the worst offenders have $ to burn and not the brains to invest the money in something smart as opposed to blowing it out their rears on fines and insurance premium surcharges <_<

NefCanuck
FocusFreak,Feb 21 2008, 04:01 PM Wrote:Just look how nicely everyone drives when they KNOW there is a police car around.
[right][snapback]258531[/snapback][/right]
Right. Unmarked cars let the cops see how you drive all the time, so they can ticket you and make you re-evaluate your overall driving style. ;)
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
Is speed really an issue on clear roads? Personally, feel those who drive ridiculously under the limit (10+under), should automatically have their proverbial asses handed to them.
Anybody that knows me here knows that I have no aversion to speed. That said, I have no issue with people doing "whatever" speed as long as they've selected the proper lane.

While I would love to see a "minimum" speed posted on the highway (and enforced), 10km under the limit would still fall within that posted limit. I personally don't care if you're doing 90 in a 100 -- well, I may think you're an idiot, but I acknowledge and accept that you're within your legal right to do that speed. What I do take exception to is if you've chosen to set up camp in the left hand (passing) lane to do that speed when the other lanes to the right of you are going faster. Like, get a clue already -- if two people in a row have to pass you on the right, you're probably in the wrong lane.

The biggest problem on our roads isn't speed in my opinion -- it's lack of situational awareness and lack of courtesy. People don't look more than 100' past their front bumper, don't use their mirrors, yapping on the phone, reading, etc. These are the people that act like pylons in an obstacle course. So when you drive "with purpose" ie 119kmh in a 100kmh zone, YOU'RE the one who looks like an idiot because if you want to keep a constant speed, you're weaving in and out -- something I don't want to do.

Even the cops are just as bad. (And this is why why I don't have an issue with unmarked cars.) A few years ago, I was on the 403 where there's a 90 zone, cruise control set at 105. Here I come up on a parade; one lone OPP cruiser in the right lane with a gaggle of cars in tow, all doing 90. I slow to 100, get in the left lane and pass. So you can guess what happens next -- I get pulled over. Woman cop (just great) waddles up to the truck. Conversation went something like this:

"Good afternoon sir, license, registration"

"Hi, (hands documents over), is there a problem?"

"Do you realize that you passed me back there?"

"Of course I do, I had to signal when I changed lanes."

"Why would you pass a <patrol car>?"

"Because you were going slow in the right lane, your lights weren't on -- to me you're the same as any other car on the road."

"Well I was doing the limit, you shouldn't have passed me."

"How fast was I going when I passed you?"

"101"

"Does that seem excessively fast to you?"

"That's not the point. You shouldn't have passed me."

[Now I'm getting annoyed] "Is there a law against that?"

"No, but I was <attempting to regulate the flow of traffic to the speed limit>."

"Well, that's just SILLY."

[Now she's pissed off] "WHAT?!?"

"That's silly. You do understand what is going to happen the second you pull off the highway, right?"

"What?"

"It's like getting the green flag at a racetrack, everybody racing trying to climb over each other to make up the time they lost stuck behind you. Do you think that makes the highway safer?"

[ignores the question]"I can still give you a ticket."

"That's up to you, my record is clean, I'd fight an 11 over."

[off she stomps to her cruiser, I assume runs my ID, comes back about 10 minutes later, hands back the ID] "I'll let you off this time. Don't pass cruisers in the future."

"I'll keep that in mind."

And that is my reasoning against only having marked cop cars. Everyone acts on their best behaviour. It interrupts the natural "safe" flow of traffic, bunches up the traffic and imposes a temporary illusion of safety that vanishes the moment the cops gone and everyone tries to make up lost time.

I'd rather see unmarked cars on the road actually pulling over people doing 40 over weaving in and out of traffic, or people not moving out of the passing lane or people doing other things that make the roads unsafe. Of course, actually doing that would reduce the revenue side of things...
not a big fan of the cops who make a big deal out of making a point.

I've been passed by cops doing easily 20 over the limit on the 401, 403 and down yonge street without their lights flashing.

I almost got hit by an unmarked cruiser walking two days ago because they didn't have enough time to look both ways while performing their rolling stop at the 4 way stop sign.

And then you get on the highway and get pulled over because someone finally decided to take the law litterally and make a point.

What's the point really?
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

I very rarely see marked OPP on the QEW. However I pass many marked Halton cruisers on it and they have never stopped me (knock on wood).

It has always been my understanding that local cops are out of their jurisdiction on the major highways.

Anyone confirm this for sure?

If it's true, why are the local cops on them and not policing their community for which we pay them to do?
Old enough to know me limit, yet young enough to exceed it.
OAC_Sparky,Feb 22 2008, 04:21 AM Wrote:A few years ago, I was on the 403 where there's a 90 zone

Any chance this was near Brantford and she was a blonde named Cindy? <_<
Old enough to know me limit, yet young enough to exceed it.
I don't think cops in different areas will pull you over, but I heard that any Ontario or RCMP police officer has the authority to ticket or arrest someone who is breaking Ontario or Canadian Law. It doesn't work the same as in the USA.
Fix Or Repair Daily - By Choice!
Visit My Site - www.HotRodding.ca
CanadaSVT,Feb 22 2008, 11:04 AM Wrote:I very rarely see marked OPP on the QEW.  However I pass many marked Halton cruisers on it and they have never stopped me (knock on wood).

It has always been my understanding that local cops are out of their jurisdiction on the major highways. 

Anyone confirm this for sure? 

If it's true, why are the local cops on them and not policing their community for which we pay them to do?
[right][snapback]258591[/snapback][/right]
I can ask my next door neighbour, he's an Oakville cop, she's Halton (I believe - they just moved in last year). I think that they could if they wanted to (say if you were drunk and they chased you on) but they'd have to call the OPP because generally it is their jurisdicton. But as you've already said, if they were doing that they wouldn't be policing the community they're paid to do. I think they just use the QEW to get from one side of Oakville to the other faster.

CanadaSVT,Feb 22 2008, 11:08 AM Wrote:
OAC_Sparky,Feb 22 2008, 04:21 AM Wrote:A few years ago, I was on the 403 where there's a 90 zone

Any chance this was near Brantford and she was a blonde named Cindy? <_<
[right][snapback]258592[/snapback][/right]
I didn't get the name (because she didn't give me a ticket) but yeah she was blonde and it was at the bottom of the 403 Ancaster hill heading towards Brantford. Short, a bit stocky; kinda waddled like she had her vest on too tight.

I take it by the <_< that she's not your favorite person either...
FocusFreak,Feb 21 2008, 04:01 PM Wrote:unmarked cop cars for use of policing the roads are stupid. They are just a cash grab. They don't slow anyone down or make the roads safer. The only thing that keeps drivers in check is a visible police presence. Just look how nicely everyone drives when they KNOW there is a police car around.
[right][snapback]258531[/snapback][/right]

I totally agree with you on that. Cash grabs! I don't believe in instilling fear into everyone so that they wonder if every freakin car MIGHT be an unmarked police car. That's like making us think that every muslim is a terrorist or MIGHT be a terrorist wanting to blow us up.

Strickening the public with fear and paranoia is an evil way of manipulation and control. Police should be visible and accessible. What the hell happens if someone is in life and death situation and they can't find a cop cuz they were all in unmarked vehicles???

Greater visible police presence is the best deterrent. Hiding behind bushes and waiting to pounce on every little human mistake that is made is just low and a cash grab.
Be the change you want to see in this world.
thenorm,Feb 6 2008, 12:09 PM Wrote:Here in vancouver and the surrounding area I have seen, chevy Silverados, chevy Venture minivans, nissan maxima, volvo S70, as well as the usual suburban, impala, crown Vic.

I'd have to say the most surprising was the maxima and the volvo (i got pulled over by the Volvo for a burnt headlight)
[right][snapback]257546[/snapback][/right]

In delta they have a Honda Ridgeline white truck and a Nissan Maxima cop car completely un-marked.
Loyal Focus Owner!!!
First: 2003 Ford Focus ZX5
Second: 2002 Ford Focus SVT (#2808 of 4788)