Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Motorcycle Helmet
NikiterZTS,Oct 9 2007, 09:53 AM Wrote:
naz,Oct 9 2007, 01:48 AM Wrote:i did a search its either for a scooter or a pocket bike right?

EDIT: god its so hard for me not to make this a 'wear gear' post preaching about gear and safety etc. i am not changing any of my previous posts about gear or helmet even though this is 'just' a pocket bike
[right][snapback]250449[/snapback][/right]

i mean yea its only for a pocket bike......shouldn't be enough?

if i was gonna get cbr700 or something....then i would do nothing but spend money on my safety.......
[right][snapback]250478[/snapback][/right]
The night my son was injured, two other skateboarders in the Durham area, doing exactly what my son was doing, using their skateboards to get home, were hit by cars, and out of the three, my son is the only one still on this earth. All were hit in residential areas... so speed or size doesn't really matter.
Proud member of the CDan nation.
2000 White ZTS: retired
2012 Frosted Glass SEL: active
K&N Filter.....
yeah but if you wanna get real technical I can walk down the road get hit by a car and die but im not wearing a helmet , theres risk in everything you do , Its up to nik but if it was me a basic helmet thats dot approved would suffice .
Ford Focus SES ZX5
Blue Underglow, Clear Corners, Shorty antenna, vogtland springs , Rust Module,Truebendz 2.5 ss magnaflow and Fuzion 205/50/16 HRI's
TEAM DURATEC # 99
So by this logic we shouldn't wear helmets at all ... we shouldn't wear seatbelts ... we shouldn't go to the doctor when we're sick ... we shouldn't do anything to protect ourselves because - well we could get hit by a car walking down the road.

Sorry ... but by definition "smart people" do whatever it takes to minimize risk and they further do whatever they can to mitigate the potential for harm when something bad happens - because something bad happens a lot.

Nik can obviously choose to do whatever he wants ... but he came on here looking to buy a helmet and asking for opinions ... and somehow that changed into Nik looking for our "approval" to purchase something that some of us think is sub-standard ... something that is probably the single most important piece of safety equipment a motorcyclist will ever own.

This is exactly what I was talking about in the other thread about the legislation of tire pressure monitoring systems and reactive cruise control.

Politicians and bureaucrats have come to the conclusion that common sense is anything but common ... you can't legislate intelligence and you can't outlaw stupidity ... and therefore we must be protected from ourselves. They don't think we can be trusted to make the right decision ourselves because frankly all the evidence says that they are correct.

Is there any other explanation for the fact that there has to be laws on the books to actually force people to do up their seatbelts or to put on motorcycle helmets? And even then not everyone does it. Am I the only one who thinks that this perhaps the most blatant proof of the rampant idiocy that makes up our society?

Nik - do what you want, but it seems like you're more interested in the colour of the helmet than anything else ... so my advice is to give your head a shake and reconsider what's really important ... and invest accordingly. If finding the extra money to buy a proper helmet is a hardship, then may I respectfully suggest you shouldn't be buying a motorcycle in the first place.

Just my .02.

zx5power,Oct 9 2007, 01:13 PM Wrote:yeah but if you wanna get real technical I can walk down the road get hit by a car and die but im not wearing a helmet , theres risk in everything you do.
[right][snapback]250503[/snapback][/right]
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
zx5power,Oct 9 2007, 01:13 PM Wrote:yeah but if you wanna get real technical I can walk down the road get hit by a car and die but im not wearing a helmet , theres risk in everything you do , Its up to nik but if it was me a basic helmet thats dot approved would suffice .
[right][snapback]250503[/snapback][/right]
You can also have sex and not wear a condom............
Proud member of the CDan nation.
2000 White ZTS: retired
2012 Frosted Glass SEL: active
K&N Filter.....
nik.. its a toy bike but its enough to get you dead.. 45mph is no joke (that is what those pocket bikes can do right?) if you hit an unyielding object like a tree squarely at even 25mph you are at risk for some very serious injuries

i'm not saying you should drop $500 on an arai helmet but i think you should get a brand new properly fitting helmet, instead of an used helmet that may not fit you right and has crash foam that is past its shelf life

also dont forget about other gear like boots, pants, gloves.

ok guys im gonna think about it
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike