Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stiff Sway Bars On Slippery Roads
grandskam,Sep 10 2007, 09:45 PM Wrote:Wait, the sway bar makes the chassis more rigid, not the suspension.  [right][snapback]248593[/snapback][/right]

are you sure you're not confusing a strut bar with a sway bar? the sway bar directly connects the 2 control arms, making the suspension more rigid, as each bump is now trying to compress both rear springs.

anyways, we're not trying to be negative nancies, as you put it, we're just trying to keep you out of a ditch when the first snow fall comes, or when u need evasive manouvers
'04 liquid grey ZX3 - my FSP auto-x car
'02 infra-red SVT  - my street car, now for sale
grandskam,Sep 11 2007, 05:45 AM Wrote:Wait, the sway bar makes the chassis more rigid, not the suspension.  Also the control arms move freely regardless of bumps.  regardless, I plan on reinforcing them tomorrow when I get the oil changed.  Not a big deal really, but your posts make you sound like you're stressing out LOL, and no I'm not a serious performance driver, nor do I pretend to be, or want to be.  The bar was not for racing purposes.  Oversteer shmoversteer lmao, I won't really know until winter so I'll see what it's like with snow rubber, and then go from there.  It's easy to swap out so maybe I'll just use it in the summer if it's terrible in the snow...either way it's not rediculous lol don't be such a negative nancy all your life :o
[right][snapback]248593[/snapback][/right]

Wow.

Sway bars stiffen the suspension, not the chassis. And how are you going to reinforce the arms? Paper Mache? The only way is to buy SVT rear control arms, have them swapped, new alignment, etc...

I'm not a negative nancy. I'm an engineer, my job is to worry about these things so the rest of you don't die.
P-51,Sep 13 2007, 09: Wrote:Paper Mache? 
Ahhh, a curbsiders body filler. I miss the old days of paper mache and a paint roller.

A wee bit back on topic, whatever about the swaybar just don't let off the gas when she's coming around. <_<
Old enough to know me limit, yet young enough to exceed it.
P-51,Sep 13 2007, 02: Wrote:Wow.

Sway bars stiffen the suspension, not the chassis.  And how are you going to reinforce the arms?  Paper Mache?  The only way is to buy SVT rear control arms, have them swapped, new alignment, etc...

I'm not a negative nancy.  I'm an engineer, my job is to worry about these things so the rest of you don't die.
[right][snapback]248707[/snapback][/right]

Right, reduces body roll, increases lateral stiffness and improves handling.
You will always be a negative nancy in my eyes :P. No the reinforcements were not done using paper mache lmao, they are welded on. I would think an engineer such as yourself would know that it is in fact possible to reinforce the stock control arms. Look around on some more forums, you'll find it ;) it's much cheaper than buying SVT arms.
CanadaSVT,Sep 13 2007, 03:22 PM Wrote:
P-51,Sep 13 2007, 09: Wrote:Paper Mache? 
Ahhh, a curbsiders body filler. I miss the old days of paper mache and a paint roller.

A wee bit back on topic, whatever about the swaybar just don't let off the gas when she's coming around. <_<
[right][snapback]248710[/snapback][/right]

Thanks CanadaSVT for the slightly more on topic tip. I just purchased winter rubber so everything should be fine. I drove a rear-wheel drive Explorer with low tread all season tires for about four years and that vehicle was all over the place (mostly when I wanted it to be), so I'm pretty sure I can handle the front-wheel drive wagon with snow tires, even with a rediculous rear sway bar.
P-51,Aug 31 2007, 08: Wrote:You're all wrong.  Stiffer suspensions in general, decrease grip in winter conditions.
[right][snapback]248071[/snapback][/right]

P-51 could you please explain this some more?

i was under the impression that changing to a stiffer sway bar increases the wheel rate which would make the weight transfer faster the but doesn't change the actual amount of weight being transferred.. so maybe the wheel would reach the point of slipping faster because the weight transferred faster, but the actual amount of extra load that causes the slip is the same...

what am i not taking into account?

thanks
naz,Sep 19 2007, 09:20 AM Wrote:
P-51,Aug 31 2007, 08: Wrote:You're all wrong.  Stiffer suspensions in general, decrease grip in winter conditions.
[right][snapback]248071[/snapback][/right]

what am i not taking into account?

thanks
[right][snapback]249057[/snapback][/right]

The fact that he only changed the stiffness at one end. So, the outside rear tire will carry more load than the outside front. So, it will lose grip first, thus, oversteer.

As far as explaining why the general statement is true that stiff suspensions aren't good for slippery conditions... I'm not really qualified to say. I just know it's a fact, as evidenced by it being the status quo for racecar setup.

I know why it would be true for rough roads, but don't know the science behind smooth, but slippery roads.

I think it may be the case that... directionally, cars with softer suspension would have more grip than stiff cars *if* they didn't roll and lose camber.

So it's a tradeoff. Softer suspension might offer more grip, but you need to prevent roll and loss of contact patch.
P-51,Oct 4 2007, 01: Wrote:As far as explaining why the general statement is true that stiff suspensions aren't good for slippery conditions... I'm not really qualified to say.  I just know it's a fact, as evidenced by it being the status quo for racecar setup.

[right][snapback]250182[/snapback][/right]

thanks! i love reading stuff like that because it reinforces my personal strategy of keeping my car's suspension stock and spending the money on tires and lapping days instead :lol:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Omg! Road Is Slippery! konafocuswrc 19 2,658 12-06-2007, 02:53 PM
Last Post: konafocuswrc