Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Deals Did You Get For Boxing Day?
paolo,Dec 30 2009, 01:44 PM Wrote:Why would u think the playstation 3 is the best for Blue-ray?  The PS3 costs almost 4 times more than what I paid for my Blue-Ray player?  im not knocking the ps3 in any way though.
[right][snapback]299000[/snapback][/right]

Thing is, that by design the PS3 is the easiest BR player to keep updated as the BR specs mutate.

Take a launch PS3 and a launch BR only player, guess which of the two is most likely to be able to play the latest disks trouble free? Unless the BR only player manufacturer was clairvoyant, I'm betting the launch BR player will choke on things like BD-Live capable disks, NVM the upgradability of the thing.

Now that the PS3 is down to $299? No contest at all.

NefCanuck
People like me and my 55 year old parents dont care about playing games. I dont know if you guys are aware, but some blueray players have wifi cards in them and you can set up your player to auto update.......they start at $200.

So does it make sense? Not for everyone... ;)
I drive a 2010 Golf that growls at people when it goes over 3000rpm.
Very true. For myself, if there is ever a playstation exclusive title that I actually like, I have the opportunity to play it.
'14 Escape 2.0t
2012 5dr Ti : Traded
there are 2 other models, which cost relatively more than what I paid for, both have ethernet capabilities, where the higher end, had a wifi connection to get firmware updates. I know the convenience factor is primo on these, but its at a premium cost. I checked my $98 blue ray player, and it has a usb port on the front, I downloaded the firmware from the InteRwebZ, and threw it on a usb stick, popped it in the usb port, and it asked to update. Mind you, i could still play pretty much any disc without needing the firmware update, as long as I don't go need any of the special BD Live capable features of the disc.
My other ride is your Mom
D-Dub,Jan 3 2010, 11: Wrote:People like me and my 55 year old parents dont care about playing games. I dont know if you guys are aware, but some blueray players have wifi cards in them and you can set up your player to auto update.......they start at $200.

[right][snapback]299069[/snapback][/right]

I was of course referring to "launch" machines for a reason, but even so. I would be willing to wager that a PS3 bought and used as BR player even today will be much less troublesome than a stand alone BR player over the long haul, if only because the PS3 is essentially a computer that plays BR discs & optionally games as opposed to the stand alone BR player which is likely as not a "dumbed down" consumer electronics device with corners cut to save costs.

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Jan 3 2010, 08:33 PM Wrote:
D-Dub,Jan 3 2010, 11: Wrote:People like me and my 55 year old parents dont care about playing games. I dont know if you guys are aware, but some blueray players have wifi cards in them and you can set up your player to auto update.......they start at $200.

[right][snapback]299069[/snapback][/right]

I was of course referring to "launch" machines for a reason, but even so. I would be willing to wager that a PS3 bought and used as BR player even today will be much less troublesome than a stand alone BR player over the long haul, if only because the PS3 is essentially a computer that plays BR discs & optionally games as opposed to the stand alone BR player which is likely as not a "dumbed down" consumer electronics device with corners cut to save costs.

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]299084[/snapback][/right]

Remember is just a software update to prevent piracy its not like the whole codec will be changed.

For a good BR player your looking at 200 bucks and your guaranteed at least 5 years, if less then your out 200 bucks rather then having a ps3 crap out and your out 300 bucks( every electronic device does crap out). Sony BR player or PS3, when you look at it the parts are the same.

I dont think changing chapters with a ps3 remote is very practical either. Whats the price of a ps3 BR remote 50 bucks? Already your at 350, plus tax 400?

Its just a marketing thing where they try to up-sell you to a ps3.

I drive a 2010 Golf that growls at people when it goes over 3000rpm.
D-Dub,Jan 5 2010, 10: Wrote:Remember is just a software update to prevent piracy its not like the whole codec will be changed.

For a good BR player your looking at 200 bucks and your guaranteed at least 5 years, if less then your out 200 bucks rather then having a ps3 crap out and your out 300 bucks( every electronic device does crap out). Sony BR player or PS3, when you look at it the parts are the same.

I dont think changing chapters with a ps3 remote is very practical either. Whats the price of a ps3 BR remote 50 bucks? Already your at 350, plus tax 400?

Its just a marketing thing where they try to up-sell you to a ps3.
[right][snapback]299144[/snapback][/right]

I know some of the earlier BR player updates were to actually enable things like BD-Live (The spec for that hadn't been finalized at BR launch) though I doubt they will extend the BR spec in any significant way now.

Oh I fully agree that changing chapters with a PS3 controller is a PITA, but I do it so seldom. As opposed to typing messages on the PS3 (which I bought the mini keyboard for)

As to the extra costs, I'll also agree that these are an issue but amortized over the life of the device (5 years in your example) even at $100 difference for a PS3 & a remote over a mid to high end BR player, that's less than $20 per year.

I just look at it this way, the better the connectivity of the device, the less chance that it will rendered obsolete. The new money is made in the software, not the hardware after all.

NefCanuck