Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Removing Scratches.
It's amazing what you can do with some good rubbing compound and a little elbow grease.

FIRST WASH THE CAR AND CLAY BAR!!!!! YOU HAVE TO REMOVE ALL DIRT BEFORE USING COMPONDS OR YOU'LL BE SORRY IN WAY'S A CANNOT BEGIN TO EXPLAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get one of these kits:

[Image: 07240.jpg]

AND...
Grab this:

[Image: 0391020_450_SC_ba68.jpg]

A little water and a clean cloth.

Dip the rag in water to dapen and grab alttle of the compound on the rag.
In a circular motion with good force, (enough to see the panel flex) work the compond over the scratch.

Wipe off compund with a CLEAN rag and check to see if the scratch is less noticable. (What the compound achieves is it takes off a very small layer of clear coat (not enough to damage)

If the scratch is still noticiable (with a finger nail) re apply and grind on it some more.

When you're happy with the results...

Apply this:

[Image: 0392867_450_CC_ba73.jpg]

And then finally this:

[Image: 0392863_450_SC_e349.jpg]

After all that, the scratch should be barely noticiable. (unless you point it out)

Ya that stuff would do it.

I mean sure it cost you like 80bux but no more scratch B)
2000 ZX3
yeah....

But you know how long that stuff lasts????

Not to mention, having a car resprayed is a lot more than 80 bux.
ANTHONYD,Jun 25 2007, 09:36 AM Wrote:yeah....

But you know how long that stuff lasts????

Not to mention, having a car resprayed is a lot more than 80 bux.
[right][snapback]242288[/snapback][/right]

If you keep it waxed it should stay good for a while. You will probibly want to get a cleaner wax to remove the built up wax, or remove old and put new on.

I myself use A sample of mothers cleaner wax right now. Mothers rep was in a few weeks ago.
But I wax with Maguires NXT Paste or liquid. I have both :D
2000 ZX3
I do the claybar, compound, and wax thing twice a year. Once in March/April time frame, a second time in November. B)
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
ANTHONYD,Jun 25 2007, 08:12 AM Wrote:It's amazing what you can do with some good rubbing compound and a little elbow grease.
No pic of scratch before and after?
Old enough to know me limit, yet young enough to exceed it.
CanadaSVT,Jun 26 2007, 12:53 AM Wrote:
ANTHONYD,Jun 25 2007, 08:12 AM Wrote:It's amazing what you can do with some good rubbing compound and a little elbow grease.
No pic of scratch before and after?
[right][snapback]242380[/snapback][/right]

Unfortunately I didn't get any.

I'll do a demo on the next one I find. :P
if you aren't super picky about how the car looks (such as me with my old WRX) you can also just slap on mother's cleaner wax and call it a day

it does a good job hiding light scratches that don't go through the clear coat, and also removing surface contaminants.

if the scratch is through the clear coat and has damaged the paint, i don't think even clay bar, etc etc will help... or is that not true?
naz,Jun 11 2008, 05:47 PM Wrote:if the scratch is through the clear coat and has damaged the paint, i don't think even clay bar, etc etc will help... or is that not true?
[right][snapback]266572[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, clay bar isnt a spray gun with paint. You would need to get it repainted if its pass teh clear coat and into the sheet metal. Only paint will fix that.

[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Is this only for small tiny scratches or are we talking some big ones you can take care of before touch up too?

I should've never given my gf the keys, now there's a pretty bad patch of scratches on the left front edge of the front bumber. :angry:
unfortunately this combination a couple months ago didnt take out the mark left when some kids decided to toss some eggs at my car, they look like mini explosions, 2 one on the pillar and one on the rear pass side door. little jerks
2007 ZX4 2.0l unaturally aspirated
FSwerks stage 2 Turbo kit, Cosworth Intake Manifold, 3" custom HKS turbo back
regular stage 2 @10ps : 232whp/219wtq
stage 2 plus @ 13psi: 278whp/229wtq
Stage 2 plus @15psi: 296whp/240wtq

2013 Focus ST Tuxedo Black - The daily
Would it take as much as possible of this out before I touch it up?

[Image: 2psgbvb.jpg]
hanserous: ouch, thats a nasty scuff. probaly the small white lines can be buffed out, but the part with the missing paint might be easier to just tape off the whole area, and spray it.
My other ride is your Mom
(07-06-2011, 11:32 AM)paolo Wrote: hanserous: ouch, thats a nasty scuff. probaly the small white lines can be buffed out, but the part with the missing paint might be easier to just tape off the whole area, and spray it.

Why are we bringing a 2-1/2 yr old thread back to life? I'm sure if he hasn't got it fixed by now, he's not going to fix it at this point.

Thanks for the useless advice Tongue
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

Leave it to Paulo
Fuktard alert fuktard alert.

Oh, and I rode your Mom while your Dad watched last night.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
(07-07-2011, 10:05 AM)meford4u Wrote: Fuktard alert fuktard alert.

Whaaat ... are you and Anthony on the outs again?
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
Again? News to me.

You are getting old Ken. That was directed at my buddy Paolo

(07-07-2011, 11:40 AM)ZTWsquared Wrote:

TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
(07-08-2011, 01:33 PM)meford4u Wrote: Again? News to me.

You are getting old Ken. That was directed at my buddy Paolo

(07-07-2011, 11:40 AM)ZTWsquared Wrote:

Don't make me dig up the thread - yes, you 2 had what could best be described as a lovers quarrel, but apparently you made up ... and yes I know you were talking about the P man but the way you worded your post, it actually could have been P or A ... just trying to revive the PITA spirit ... the PITA force is not so strong in you these days.

Oh yeah ... LOL.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
I love Bryan.
No quarrel here. LOL.