Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crush 'em
NOS2Go4Me,Jun 21 2007, 08:57 AM Wrote:Ontario's becoming a "nanny state", boys. We're all signing away our freedom, one useless bill at a time.[right][snapback]241954[/snapback][/right]

Well said! The idea of taking away someone's private property because they "might" commit a crime is disturbing. Reminds me of the book by George Orwell, 1984. He called it Thought Crime.
www.cruisinforms.com
1968 Mustang GT
302-4V, C4, original Canadian car

[Image: sunsetsmall.jpg]
yep....1984 is coming guys. I read a couple papers today to catch up on the news (been in the states for a week until tuesday) I read about the 50 kph over = street racing and the crushing cars BS. we're getting screwed....period...
2001 Sangria Red ZTS, Zetec 5-spd, key gouges on hood and passenger fender (thanks idiots!Wink

Drivetrain and chassis: CAI, Steeda STS

Interior and exterior: Blacked out sidemarker lens, blacked out tailights, blacked out 3rd brake light, de-badged, cobra 40 ch. CB, Sirius

VA3RBV, Basic class licence!
Relax ... it's one politician expressing his opinion about the way he thinks things should be ... no one's getting screwed - at least not yet.

PARKINGLOT,Jun 28 2007, 01:47 AM Wrote:yep....1984 is coming guys. I read a couple papers today to catch up on the news (been in the states for a week until tuesday) I read about the 50 kph over = street racing and the crushing cars BS. we're getting screwed....period...
[right][snapback]242567[/snapback][/right]
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
^^^^^^ i hope this is true^^^^^^
Quote:EGR is for emissions reduction right? that section above suggests it is illegal to remove the EGR

i agree with you that if the car passes sniffer what's the big deal.. but if someone wanted to be really picky i think that would be an area they could focus on

what's with no EGR? does it help performance in some way to remove it? or do you have a japanese market motor that never came with EGR (if this is the case, and its for your wrx, mind if i pm you with some Qs?)

It's a grey area.

Technically EGR is for milage, not emissions. Any emissions benefit is minor, and secondary. However, as you just demonstrated, MANY people and even mechanics don't know this. Perception=Reality, and thus... EGR is assumed to be an emissions device.

Many automakers deleted EGR from engines in the late 90's because it costs about $50, and it "only" increases milage about 2mpg. Most were adding it back in in the 00's because of milage concerns. See, it's not about emissions.

I don't have the WRX anymore. This is on my ZX3. I removed the EGR because the Pectel has no way of dealing with that system.
P-51,Jun 28 2007, 05: Wrote:It's a grey area.

Technically EGR is for milage, not emissions.  Any emissions benefit is minor, and secondary.  However, as you just demonstrated, MANY people and even mechanics don't know this.
[right][snapback]242601[/snapback][/right]

ya i totally had no clue.. i thought it was pure emissions related from reading stuff like

Quote:Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) sensors are vital to maintaining proper emissions on vehicles.

from http://www.rtpcompany.com/info/apps/stories/sensor.htm

this pretty much highlights the dangers of getting your tech from the interweb =(

guess that company just wanted to sell more sensors
Like I said, it's a grey area. I think EGR existed before catalytic converters. In that case, it probably was for emissions. As stated here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust_gas_recirculation it does meaningfully reduce NOx production.

However, ever since the introduction of catalytic converters, NOx is less of a problem. They take NOx and CO (the other bad combustion byproduct) and turn them into N2 and CO2 which are not harmful (well, ok, other than global warming).

That's when EGR started getting phased out. It wasn't about emissions anymore, it was about milage, and it seemed nobody cared about milage in the 90's.

In fact, I might go so far as to say you don't *want* to reduce NOx too much, because the cat actually needs it to reformulate CO into CO2.

That is why on factory cars, if you put a narrowband sensor on, you'll see it dithering just on either side of stoich while running closed loop. It's not because it can't control the process fast enough, it actually NEEDS to work this way. When lean, you get more N0x, when rich you get more CO. It needs waves of these different mixtures coming in to work properly.

At least, that what the Ford EECIV engineering manual said.

To further the point, one of my buddies still at Ford has a Focus. His EGR is stuck open, throwing the CEL. He's driven around like this for years, because he gets like an extra 5mpg with full egr flow. If the milage benefit is so great, why not flow that much all the time? Emissions. It probably makes the cat less effective. But that's a guess.
The whole street racing problem is blown out of scale. Before i get people jumping down my throat I DO NOT SUPPORT STREET RACING. People have raced their cars on backroads and from stoplight to stoplight for years. I'm willing to bet that some of these politicans leading this witch hunt at some point or another had some part in "street racing". The thing is that there are more cars in general on the road today then there were 40 years ago. Therefore your going to have more "street racers".

If you looked at the number of crashes caused by "street racing" from forty years ago compared to the number of crashes that occured under normal circumstances and did the same today the average would be similar. The only problem is there are probably no hard numbers from forty years ago and getting anyone to admit (especially now) that they took part in "street racing" would be like trying to squeeze water out of a rock.

Also the morons who do take part in "street racing" are a small minority of the car culture. Also what is the definition of "street racing". To cars going the same speed down a highway? Leaving a light at a slightly faster rate of speed? Why not have a motorsport weekend of sorts put on by the government at a local track and show the few jacka**es out there who are street racing that having a time slip is concrete proof you quicker than the other guy? ALso don't have the police ticket the law abiding drivers leaving the raceway or car shows. It just brews a hatred for the police and re-inforces the idea " I'm going to get a ticket anyway i might as well race on the street".
P-51,Jun 28 2007, 09: Wrote:......
[right][snapback]242627[/snapback][/right]

thanks for sharing that tech!
2.0duratecpower,Jun 28 2007, 06:14 PM Wrote:The whole street racing problem is blown out of scale. Before i get people jumping down my throat I DO NOT SUPPORT STREET RACING. People have raced their cars on backroads and from stoplight to stoplight for years. I'm willing to bet that some of these politicans leading this witch hunt at some point or another had some part in "street racing". The thing is that there are more cars in general on the road today then there were 40 years ago. Therefore your going to have more "street racers".

If you looked at the number of crashes caused by "street racing" from forty years ago compared to the number of crashes that occured under normal circumstances and did the same today the average would be similar. The only problem is there are probably no hard numbers from forty years ago and getting anyone to admit (especially now) that they took part in "street racing" would be like trying to squeeze water out of a rock.

Also the morons who do take part in "street racing" are a small minority of the car culture. Also what is the definition of "street racing". To cars going the same speed down a highway? Leaving a light at a slightly faster rate of speed? Why not have a motorsport weekend of sorts put on by the government at a local track and show the few jacka**es out there who are street racing that having a time slip is concrete proof you quicker than the other guy? ALso don't have the police ticket the law abiding drivers leaving the raceway or car shows. It just brews a hatred for the police and re-inforces the idea " I'm going to get a ticket anyway i might as well race on the street".
[right][snapback]242628[/snapback][/right]

All your points are valid, but, in Ontario, there have been several deaths of innocent drivers in the last couple of years, two in the last two weeks, as the idiots who use the main roads as race tracks don't seem to understand that things can go wrong on a public street. Racing is for the track, not the public roads. The Attorney General of Ontario, has declared that any modified car, is a street racer and if caught, will be crushed. Note, Ontario is electing a government this Fall.
Proud member of the CDan nation.
2000 White ZTS: retired
2012 Frosted Glass SEL: active
K&N Filter.....

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Crush His Car! Flofocus 10 2,055 07-15-2007, 03:27 AM
Last Post: Frost__2001