Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good Mechanic - Do They Exist?
Well, i guess i'll just keep watching the posts and toss my two cents in when i can. I hope the poeple who need help find it. And don't forget, if someone tells you "you need it" and they can't explain why.... take it to another shop. You drove it in to the shop and i'm sure it will make it a few more miles down the road to the next shop.
First year with a Foci ' 03 ZX5 Silver
Baby seat, Roush Exhuast, more performance mods to come
personal experience says that the best mechanics are small town shops.. but that could be due to the fact that everyone there knows one another and people dont get away with ripping each other off very easily. back home we paid $40 and hour for labour and no fees for diagnostics... here in london they charge you $90 just to diagnose your car, then parts and labour are on top of that after they figure it out... our ford dealer here wanted to charge me $60 to pull a cel code, then $90 to find what part is making it happen.... and thats not even fixing the problem...its insane.

it has made me adopt the policy, "i know my car is making funny noise, but until whatever it is falls off and I can see something missing...its fine."

unless you know someone it looks like your stuck paying the ridiculous 70+ an hour for labour. or as mentioned, learn to do things on your own..
2001 ZX3..
Mods - Coming Soon
Tinited with Skull decal on front bumper passenger side.
and people....obII scanners are cheap on the net. you can get them with datalogging capabilities for $100. I got mine not to long ago and I've already pulled and cleared some codes for family and freinds. Its already paid for itself.

If you drive a Focus and mod it, this should be part of your toolbox. ;)
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
^^wouldn't be the best bet to buy an Xcal2 then? i know its more in price but then u know u can do more with it
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
NikiterZTS,Apr 23 2007, 12:58 PM Wrote:^^wouldn't be the best bet to buy an Xcal2 then?  i know its more in price but then u know u can do more with it
[right][snapback]235942[/snapback][/right]

Sure...get an xcal2, but if you dont want to pay the price of an xcal2 get a regular obdII. For $99 you cant go wrong.

Does the xcalII pull codes for all cars? most obd2 will do everything the xcal2 will do except tune your car for less than 1/4 of the price.
ok... what is an xcalII? And what is it good for other than pulling codes? (still learning the after market world

P.s. getting my focus on friday (how many sleeps is that?)
First year with a Foci ' 03 ZX5 Silver
Baby seat, Roush Exhuast, more performance mods to come
zx5chris,Apr 23 2007, 10:04 PM Wrote:ok... what is an xcalII?  And what is it good for other than pulling codes? (still learning the after market world

P.s. getting my focus on friday (how many sleeps is that?)
[right][snapback]236027[/snapback][/right]

4 sleeps.

SCT Xcalibur tuning.

http://www.focussport.com/sct_flasher.htm