Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On A Lighter Note..
I'll echo Steve's sentiment - it takes all kinds. It's a mixture of learned knowledge, common sense (1 rep of the heaviest weight is NOT going to slim you down) and perhaps some formal training. Moreso on the training if that's going to be your primary profession, obviously.

Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
darkpuppet,Feb 3 2007, 02:48 PM Wrote:
tdot-zx3,Feb 3 2007, 02: Wrote:Some of the best and smartest trainers and coaches I've met out are the ones with less papers but more real world.

I find your generalization pretty pathetic.
[right][snapback]225606[/snapback][/right]

I think everyone's mileage will vary in that regard.

But thats exactly it. Negative generalizations are *thumbsdown*

I have 4 canfit certs JUST so I could get insured properly... I find what she said totally insulting, university degree or not. It's something the school system makes you believe, that you are superior then others, and I will always disagree with it because it's definitely not the truth accross the board..

Regardless, she is still wrong about the overtraining thing. I don't care if you guys stick up for her or not.. =P Nothing in his post leads to the fact that he is overtraining. Chances are he's over supplementing in various areas based on his pee, but not overtraining.

The last 2 weeks now I've trained 4-5 hours a day on only 2500 calories and I'm quite -close- but not quite there to the point of overtraining. I hate that word and I hate the way it's used online. When people say things that are wrong, they are wrong. I'm not going to sit back and watch... zzzzz.
Dan, Your friendly neighbourhood asshole. Wink
I do installs and build FG stuff, pm me if you need help with anything. Im cheap.
^^please correct me of give me you're advise about all the pills (vitamins, creatin, ect) that im taking
pretty much i need that right track
thanks
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
I goto Waterloo quite a bit... I will be there the 18th-19th of Feb to do a performance. If you want to meet up and talk about your workout plan and stuff in person and go over your routine with me, Ill make some time. Maybe even bring you into the waterloo gym with me and you can show me what you do and ill help you.

You said you're 160 pounds.. How old are you?
I do installs and build FG stuff, pm me if you need help with anything. Im cheap.
i am 21 right now

yes the weight is 160.5lbs

are you talking about Universite of waterloo gym?
i can certanly make up time to meet up and to see the performance as well
125whp/129wtq
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
NikiterZTS,Feb 3 2007, 02:44 PM Wrote:^^please correct me of give me you're advise about all the pills (vitamins, creatin, ect) that im taking
pretty much i need that right track
thanks
[right][snapback]225646[/snapback][/right]

I'd opt out of creatine... it's definitely a supplement that's more about looking strong than being strong. As soon as you miss it once you build up a regular routine of taking it, your "look" will suffer. And that may bring you down more than you expect in terms of your training regimen.

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
well i've heard (read) that creatin just gives you more revs....aka you can do more of everything while working out
125whp/129wtq
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
tdot-zx3,Feb 3 2007, 01: Wrote:
Quote:Not trying to cause an uproar here, but Nic, there is such a thing as overtraining... after which you will stop seeing results and actually, your performance will decrease with time... you just might be pushing that button, especially if you are taking all these powders and vitamins and crap...

Not sure how taking any sort of supplement is going to lead to over training... ? He didn't post enough at all to even come close to suggesting he's over training... weird.

And your knock at people who have canfit instead of other things... tsk tsk tsk... it matters not whats on the paper. I've met many kin students over my years and most of them have very little real world knowledge about anything.

Some of the best and smartest trainers and coaches I've met out are the ones with less papers but more real world.

I find your generalization pretty pathetic.
[right][snapback]225606[/snapback][/right]

Just so you know where I was coming from on this one before jumping down my throat and telling me that years and years of training means NOTHING... lets get things straight here..
Yes, I have a kin degree, and I agree with you, a lot of kin students don't know how to apply it, I just don't happen to be one of them.
I'm certified through CSEP, I am currently teaching a PFLC certification course in the Ottawa area, I've been a trainer for years, I work in the area, I do research in the area... but I think the biggest thing (which might be a kick in the balls for those of you who think education is worthless), is that I actually work out, and apply my education to my workouts and consultations... my knock on canfit was the fact that I see countless individuals at the gym with canfit certifications who are giving advice and tips to others, and their technique is off, their advice is crap, it's all a sales pitch. I'm not saying that they're all like this, but I have yet to meet anyone with a weekend crash course in personal training actually understand what is going on in the body on a physiological level

Now... if you read back to Nic's post, he was saying something about working out for 2-3 hours per day, 5-6 days per week. I told him that he might be overtraining (which is entirely true), however, his situation could be different (as is everybody's personal situation)...

So.... before you jump down someones throat next time about giving advice, think that maybe they just might know a little bit about the topic they are giving advice on. I'll admit, I know sh&t about cars... so I ask, I don't pretend, which is why I am a member on this board.

So my advice to you, before you start publicly flaming someone for trying to give someone a hand, get your facts straight.
Does a shorty anntena count as a mod?? Wink
2006 ZX5 UV red with SAP package

"Two things in life are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not so sure about the universe"
It's "only" the Wiki, but they seem to cite a fair number of scientific studies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creatine

Nothing's 100% for or against it, but there's definitely the water issue in there that I was mentioning - the "look" over the actual benefit.

Quote:Now... if you read back to Nic's post, he was saying something about working out for 2-3 hours per day, 5-6 days per week.

ACTUALLY... he said this...

"(just 2 hours a day including dry sauna,hot tub,shower)"

Which is not a lot of exercise my dear. He seems like a typical amateur gym user from what hes been saying. I'd be surprised if he gets a solid 45mins in.

Which leads me to my next point...

Quote:So my advice to you, before you start publicly flaming someone for trying to give someone a hand, get your facts straight.

How about YOU get your facts straight before you give advice out over a public forum.

I could care less what you do for a living.. you are giving wrong information on the internet and obviously not reading other peoples posts before responding. People make mistakes.. and by all means you could of! But if you did, face up to it instead of feeding this site more crap about who you are and what you know.

Thanks!

PS.. Next time you try to disprove me... and ill quote you... "think that maybe they just might know a little bit about the topic they are giving advice on."

=P!!
I just want to make it clear as well... I'm not here to fight or try to win or anything like that. Fitness and it's surrounding topics are very simple yet people on the internet over complicate everything with plans and diets and this and that! I hate watching it and always want to do something about it... I'm not saying Chica is one of these people as I've only read something from one topic that I disliked which by no means gives me any right to judge so don't think this is about her. But as I did say, when giving advice over the internet one has to be weary of what is said and how it's said. Life (general well-being/'fitness' is part of this) is something where we can learn something new everyday, something new from every person big or small, smart or stupid, black or white... Doesn't matter what degree you have or certification, once you lose that idea that we can help everyone and in turn learn from everyone you are doomed to be part of the corrupt system forever.

I dislike the fitness industry so much. It's not an industry trying to better peoples lives, its an industry trying to use people. Most of the advice you get from people or companies is not 'genuine' in any way, and even though there is genuine advice out there, people have to sort through soooo much crap to get at it.

I really really dislike the industry so much.

I guess to answer where I am lately in the 'fitness' world since I got some Pms asking how things are going...

I'm currently trying to setup a grassroots program with the City of Toronto based solely on that principle I was so randomly talking about... To get kids/teens back to the base of fitness, to the roots of being healthy and being able to live life to the fullest in those regards. To bring people back to what is natural in this world. As much as I find it important, I don't care as much anymore about helping the older generations anymore as most of them are not in it for general wellbeing but for other reasons and to me it's a shame. Granted, I've trained cops, firefighters, marathon runners, yoga instructors, the works and will continue to do so as most of which are really cool people but my main focus is kids. I hate watching them get fatter and fatter, and I love watching them move and smile. Therefore I'm doing something about it and I'm hopefully going to devote the rest of my life towards this cause here.

Along with that I should finally have my own 'gym' by the end of this year if all goes well and stays on track. It will not be a gym like anything we have here in Toronto, and wont have a single machine in it! Oh my! =P As you can probably guess I'm also against our current 'fitness' worlds idea of what a gym should be. Mirrors, Music, everything so clean and perfect, climate controlled, etc etc etc... Yucky. So my ideas right now are very interesting in a sense, and something a lot more real world. Judging from my background of expertise I guess you can imagine theres a few tricks up my sleeve as well ...

Me though during the winter... I train daily. I stretch, condition, and train aerobically everyday. I run or bike in the mornings before breakfast, condition later in the day and stretch and train breathing at night. 2 days a week I rockclimb. 2 days a week I train gymnastics. 1 day a week I box. 1 day I get in Parkour stuff outside where I can.

My diet consists of foods that are the closest to natural as possible. I try to eat balanced proportions of Protein, Carbs from low glycemic sources, and healthy fats all throughout the day in smaller meals. I aim to drink 3L+ of water a day as well. I don't use any hair or body products (not even deodorant), and try to stay away from chemicals in this world as much as I can.

Citius Altius Fortius !
wow

I think what you're doing is great dan! ... extreme, but still great work.

I personally wish i had grown up with better fitnessfestyle 'coaching' in my life. It's something I'll always struggle to find the balance....

Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

Amateur sports would be a much better set of choices for kids if they left the house leagues alone to be "fun" leagues. Instead, by the time you're 9 years old, max, you're groomed to become a pitbull without any remorse. You're taught to be increasingly vicious by age 12 so that you're "prepared" for hitting at the earliest ages allowed in organized hockey by Hockey Canada.

Personally, I think it's disgusting. I'm not advocating contact-less hockey as a profession. I'm not even saying that they should take it out of house leagues. I'm merely saying that it should be used as part of the game, not as the game.

I'm back to coaching this year after almost 10 years out of organized hockey as a team staff member. I've enjoyed it so much I'll likely move up to the next division and see how that goes next year. If my schedule allows, I'll keep both teams.

I'm not here for accolades, I'm just commenting based on what Dan just said and how it plays into my own goals to make a difference for kids in the community I live in.

Sports should be fun, first and foremost, for children as the majority of them will not play competitive sports beyond high school. Some will through college / university and their early 20s, but by 25 the only ones left playing are the professionals and the dedicated recreational players. Maybe we can get those numbers up a bit. Healthier people are generally happier people.

Nos I'm -partially- against the competitive sports system in grade school and high school as well...

I feel the need for there to be one for the top athletes and theres no denying that. They deserve their place in the world if they were born with the gifts and talents to be full time athletes. But I feel the gap is too great between those top athletes and the non athletes that the system doesn't work like it should. It leads to discouragement, lack of self respect, no visible goals and so many other things that every kid growing up should have the opportunity to have via athletic systems. Growing up I was the jock always, and I saw so many of my friends just become out of shape because there was no sport for them. Sure they became more arts related, or computer related or whatnot, but those are above and beyond the base of our lives which is how healthy we are.

I try to show kids another route.. I'm developing a pretty scalable program that should work for people with very little exercise all the way to your top athlete. ! Through this I try to show them they can achieve anything they want out of life. That anyone can be healthy, in shape, run fast, jump high, climb that thing.. whatever these kids can dream. From there, they can go anywhere, and if a kid who has never really exercised before gains a little confidence through that, I believe it can change so many more aspects of their lives. I try to lead in a way that every time a person leaves a session with me, they do something brand new, so it wasn't just, "yeah we did exercise", but rather it was "Wow I did this thing I didn't think I could do" or "Wow Dan pushed me and I thought I wasn't going to make it but I did"....

Like you said... all kids should be able to join FUN programs that no matter what skill or what they want to achieve. The goal is just to get them active, laughing and smiling.

It's definitely not the money route, but I find such passion helping kids and teens that I feel if I wonder from this dream to go do movies or stunt work or other things, Ill feel as if I sold out on life.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  On A Lighter Note DD1 7 2,197 10-21-2005, 01:26 PM
Last Post: french_connection