Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buying A New/used Car
NOS2Go4Me,Jan 19 2007, 10:41 AM Wrote:G35 for a coupe, WRX for a 4-door or a wagon.

You, the G/F, the puppies... get a wagon. :P
[right][snapback]223901[/snapback][/right]

*cough* AWD Magnum RT *cough*
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
hardk0re,Jan 19 2007, 09:24 AM Wrote:Nate,, think about something with 4 doors :P....you got a house, you got a dog, know what comes next....
[right][snapback]223897[/snapback][/right]

all of the cars were looking at are 4 door. this car would be replacing the accord.

Quote:I vote for the Camry - although a tad boring its reliable and has very good re-sale value. My two cents.

Boring? really? The old one....fawk yeah, theyre boring. New ones look really nice, I think its on of the better looking sedans right now.

And no wagons :( :angry:

She's made that very clear.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Flofocus,Jan 19 2007, 02:20 PM Wrote:And no wagons  :(  :angry:

[right][snapback]223924[/snapback][/right]

That's too bad... the Audi RS4 is a mean grocery-getter

As for the Subaru... my brother had a WRX and he loved it... I liked driving it as well (the ONE time he let me behind the wheel)
Does a shorty anntena count as a mod?? Wink
2006 ZX5 UV red with SAP package

"Two things in life are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not so sure about the universe"
Flofocus,Jan 19 2007, 03:20 PM Wrote:Boring?  really?  The old one....fawk yeah, theyre boring.  New ones look really nice, I think its on of the better looking sedans right now.

From Car&Driver's reviews of the Camry, they basically say that it's a great care, just no personality or fun... The electronic nannies kick in way too early, and they can't be shut off.

Pick up the latest C&D. They have a good comparo... Accord vs. Camry vs. all-new-generic-sedans in the segment. All 4-cyl sluchboxes.

Ryan
Ryan and the Silver Sedan
++++++++++++++++++++++++
2008 Mazda5 GS/Copper Red Mica/2.3 MZR 5AT/22% Tint
[Image: 49951.png]
2011 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew/Race Red/3.5 TT EcoBoost
ZX5chica,Jan 19 2007, 07:36 PM Wrote:

As for the Subaru... my brother had a WRX and he loved it... I liked driving it as well (the ONE time he let me behind the wheel)
[right][snapback]223925[/snapback][/right]

to bad the RS4 is like $100k over what Flo is looking for

The new camry doesn't look that bad at all.
'03 Focus SVT
ZX5chica,Jan 19 2007, 03:36 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]223925[/snapback][/right]

Maybe I should start working at the keg :o

I really do love the wrx. I got to drive it on a mini road course with a rally instructor beside me when they 1st laucnhed it and the new H6 engine. Been dreaming of owning one since that day.

If it was the focus we were replacing, it would be an easy decsision.
I don't know if this is what you want in a Subbie.......but here are a couple of 2002's in the $13000US range.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresult...p=&keywordsfyc=

What I would suggest is one of two things. First, I told you I had a friend who bought a car and just brought it into Canada. So he has given me alot of pointers and information. He was able to hook up with a dealer in Texas??? who goes to the big auction in Orlando every week. He called him mid auction and they went thru the bidding process live while it was going on. He found him several cars to bid on and they went from there according to colour, mileage and maximum price until he got the car he wanted. I think he charged him around $750US for the service. He then hoppend on a plane and to Orlando, went on a mini vacation and drove the car back.
He was a little disallusioned with the process as he wasn't able to see or test the car out prior to purchasing it, but it still worked out well for him as the car is mint. You may want to try and find a dealer up northern NY state and let them know what your looking for. But absolutely do not pay the taxes in NY state as the vehicle will not be licensed in that state. They may try and get you to pay the taxes, and if they do, walk away from the dealer as this, IMO is just a scam.
You have to make an appointment to bring the car back over the border. 72 hours notice I believe before you bring the car over you have to fax the information on the car. Once you get to the border, you have to pay any duties if the car is not made in North America. Typically 6% of the purchase price. If the car is made in North America then there is no duty. You then have to pay PST on the car and can opt to pay at the border or pay when you go to register the car. They'll give you a pamphlet at the border as to the next steps in getting the car roadworthy in Canada. A $250?? will be assessed to you at the border.
You'll need to have the car e-tested, certified and an Office of the Rigistrar of Imported vehicles.
I took about a week once over the border to get everything sorted out, and he found Can. Tire to be the easiest and best source for getting things done smoothly.

And more questions and I will do a follow up with my buddy. But he is away right now on another bloody vacation.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
why not a luxary/sportier suv ... if your importing .. then bring in a range rover sport

or if you wanna go new the xterras are really nice .. if only they came in leather
Below Average Car Club
2000+ Altima with a 6?
Proud member of the CDan nation.
2000 White ZTS: retired
2012 Frosted Glass SEL: active
K&N Filter.....
schade,Jan 19 2007, 09:20 PM Wrote:why not a luxary/sportier suv ... if your importing .. then bring in a range rover sport

or if you wanna go new the xterras are really nice .. if only they came in leather
[right][snapback]223966[/snapback][/right]
my God Chris those are two really bad examples of cars.

First, he wants to be able to work on the car himself. He'll be doing alot of that if he buys a Landrover.

Second, have you ever tried to get in and out of the back seat of an Xterra? Terrible set up. The botom of the rear door is about 12" wide. Trying swinging a pair of size 13 feet into that lemon of a vehicle. I rented one in Florida several years ago. We beat the s*** out of it and after 3 days it had to be picked up in a parking lot after breaking down due to a slipping tranny. :blink:

oldeguy,Jan 19 2007, 11:33 PM Wrote:2000+ Altima with a 6?
[right][snapback]223971[/snapback][/right]

Freind of mine JUST picked up a 06 Altima 3.5, full load....beautiful car.

Since he bought it...I have to be different :P

_________

Thank meford, you can pm me any more info when you get it. I'm in no hurry so maybe the wife and I should go on a little vacation and check out some cars. B)
only SUV I'd consider really is a mercedes G500, and well...you have to work at the keg to get that kind of bling yo. :D
That's the hardest thing to consider, that's it's a car for her. My wife, god love her, wants an econobox. But she's coming around to my Mr. Big Bucks get a nice car way of thinking.

She told me she watns an Edge today.

In Orange.

Makes me smile.

meford4u,Jan 20 2007, 01:57 AM Wrote:That's the hardest thing to consider, that's it's a car for her.  My wife, god love her, wants an econobox.  But she's coming around to my Mr. Big Bucks get a nice car way of thinking.

She told me she watns an Edge today.

In Orange.

Makes me smile.
[right][snapback]223981[/snapback][/right]

You'd better find a way to supervise the entire painting process of the car from start to finish if you agree to that. Else you'll never hear the end of it if there are problems with the finish :lol:

NefCanuck
Flofocus,Jan 19 2007, 11:01 PM Wrote:only SUV I'd consider really is a mercedes G500, and well...you have to work at the keg to get that kind of bling yo.  :D
[right][snapback]223975[/snapback][/right]

Hahaha, good call
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
Wnat about a TSX or Mazda speed 6?
I drive a 2010 Golf that growls at people when it goes over 3000rpm.
D-Dub,Jan 20 2007, 01: Wrote:Wnat about a TSX or Mazda speed 6?
[right][snapback]224008[/snapback][/right]

TSX doesnt do anything for me. Mazdaspeed6 is not in my price range (20-~25K), unless I get something with 80k+. I havent seen to many ms6 with high Km's. When they do show up, they dont last long :(
Flofocus,Jan 20 2007, 12:40 PM Wrote:
D-Dub,Jan 20 2007, 01: Wrote:Wnat about a TSX or Mazda speed 6?
[right][snapback]224008[/snapback][/right]

TSX doesnt do anything for me. Mazdaspeed6 is not in my price range (20-~25K), unless I get something with 80k+. I havent seen to many ms6 with high Km's. When they do show up, they dont last long :(
[right][snapback]224009[/snapback][/right]
There are lots of MS6 in the US for sale in the $25US range. 06's with didly for mileage. Give them 6 months and they will get alot closer to your price range.

Uh yeah, my boss has a 2006 XTerra... I don't fit anywhere except for the front seats. I'm 6'3".

Nate, I can ask my buddy where in NY he got his 2006 WRX STi if you want... cause when he racked his 2004, that's where he went to buy his new one. He figures he saved 8-9Gs CDN over the cost of a new CDN-spec one.

I know you're looking for used, but he had nothing but good things to say about the dealer.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Flofocus,Jan 19 2007, 11:01 PM Wrote:only SUV I'd consider really is a mercedes G500, and well...you have to work at the keg to get that kind of bling yo.  :D
[right][snapback]223975[/snapback][/right]

Gotta get the ditch in eh?

Good luck with the rest of the car search.... I'm still pushing for the WRX (in case my opinion matters)
Does a shorty anntena count as a mod?? Wink
2006 ZX5 UV red with SAP package

"Two things in life are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not so sure about the universe"