Poll:
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Do You Get When You Pull Your Dipstick...perv
NOS2Go4Me,Dec 11 2006, 10:40 AM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Dec 11 2006, 10:27 AM Wrote:I run the Ford 5W20 semi synth, dealer changed.  It's not a cheap oil change by any strech at my dealer (At $48 + taxes a whack) but I figure its much easier to go after Ford should something break internally, they can't say I didn't maintain the car "as per the manual"

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]219551[/snapback][/right]

I'm extending the warranty to 7 years in the spring. That ought to do it :D
[right][snapback]219560[/snapback][/right]

Already did that with mine. Just make sure you're anal to the extreme about receipts and stuff like that, or else it'll be like pulling teeth to get them to honour the extended warranty should something break thats covered (If you get the best warranty Ford offers, it basically covers everything that isn't a wear item)

NefCanuck
when I had the Focus it was 5W30 full synth. You're wasting your time with dino oil in todays world !! Full synth only ........
Strive for that moment when you're only a slice of pizza and a hooker away from paradise.
NefCanuck,Dec 11 2006, 10:44 AM Wrote:
NOS2Go4Me,Dec 11 2006, 10:40 AM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Dec 11 2006, 10:27 AM Wrote:I run the Ford 5W20 semi synth, dealer changed.  It's not a cheap oil change by any strech at my dealer (At $48 + taxes a whack) but I figure its much easier to go after Ford should something break internally, they can't say I didn't maintain the car "as per the manual"

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]219551[/snapback][/right]

I'm extending the warranty to 7 years in the spring. That ought to do it :D
[right][snapback]219560[/snapback][/right]

Already did that with mine. Just make sure you're anal to the extreme about receipts and stuff like that, or else it'll be like pulling teeth to get them to honour the extended warranty should something break thats covered (If you get the best warranty Ford offers, it basically covers everything that isn't a wear item)

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]219561[/snapback][/right]

That's exactly the warranty extension we're getting. It's basically the powertrain AND the bumper-to-bumper to 7 years. Kinda redundant stating them both, but that's what it is.

Sorry bout the thread 'jacking.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
ZX5focused,Dec 10 2006, 06:15 PM Wrote:mobil 1 5w30 full synthetic

semi synthetic is useless
[right][snapback]219433[/snapback][/right]

I run the same....regardless of what Ford recommends. I suspect their recommendation is based first on the minimum needs of the engine and next on what they are buying in bulk. They aren't going to use something as expensive as Mobil 1 and they aren't going to recommend it.

The manufacturers do know their vehicles, but their are other aspects to some decisions.
Fader
2002 ZX5
MBRP Cat Back - K&N Typhon - KYB/AGX Shocks and Struts -Vogtland Springs, 1.5 inch drop - Primax 772's - Toyo TPT 205/50R16's - Nextar Navigation
Friends call me Fader.
G.F.T.L.S.T.R.
havoline 5w30. supposedly good additive package and it is very inexpensive. IMHO.. full synth isn't really called for..
Castrol Syntec 5W20. I work for the company so I get a sweet deal. :D
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
Conventional vs Synth
O3 ZX3: Drl-to-drf Mod, Racing mirrors, Shorty antenna, B&M short shifter, Focus Sport 4-1 race header, Focus Sport front strut stabilizer, MBRP cat back, RaceCraft springs, Eibach Pro dampners and struts, RaceCraft 25mm rear stabilizer, Hella lights, Core Racing 17"s.
VF Supercharger Kit (Stage 2)

"I usually don't do this type of work." "I thought you were a professional driver?" "A different kind of driving.".
5W30 Royal Purple
2002 Sonic Blue SVTF
0-¼ mile : 15.9 sec @ 90.2 mph
BASELINE @ WHP 157, TQ 144ftlbs
[Image: nightpics(custom2).jpg]
SmokeBCBuDZ,Jan 7 2007, 03:08 AM Wrote:Conventional vs Synth
[right][snapback]222454[/snapback][/right]

so they thinned out the oil in the motor and it made more power. that's great i guess, but i put oil in the motor to keep metal away from metal not to gain a handful more hp, so that article isn't telling me anything

personally, when i did research on oil i looked on forums where people with the same vehicle as me post their used oil analysis results to see what kind of additives remained in the oil and whether it sheared down to a lower viscosity. i'm personally not comfortable with extended oil change intervals and after 3k miles many ppl post UOA of a good conventional oil like havoline that were good, so that's the way i went.

and subarus are not ford focuses, but i would really research long and hard before dumping expensive oils anywhere into the vehicle.. for a long time SOA took a stance of 'no synth oils in the 2.0 L turbo motor' and synthetic gear oils like red line were causing synchro failure left and right in the tranny.. personally i use havoline conventional oil in the motor, and OE factory fill conventional oil in the tranny and differentials.

ford has motorcraft oil that i presume is formulated to an OE spec, does it not? if i still had my focus that is what i would put into the motor
ah so its ok to run 5w30 for motor oil in these things. The oil cap said 5w20 so I have been using that however the only option I have for synthetic is Quaker State HIGH RPM 5w20 at Crappy tire.

I think I will do my oil change this time and put what I put in the TransAm in the focus...5w30 Mobil1.
Join the Sedan Faction - You know you want to.