Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Costly Focus....
where do i start,
Spark plugs twice, wires twice,front brakes 3 times, rear shoes once, struts twice, springs once, throttle body once, fuel pump once, liscence plate wiring (complete rear light wiring, tires twice, block heater once, battery twice, alternator once, fuel filter twice, now the water pump, i could probably keep going but i am really fedup with this car right now.

im not even gonna post prices. whats the point.
Here's a lesson in life. Take from it what you will.
You can complain all you want or you can do something about it.
And telling us about your troubles get you zilch.
If you don't like the car, tell ford. Or better off sell it and getting something that will releave your stress that you have from owning a Ford Focus. It's an econobox. It's not a Lincoln, it's not a BMW. It's a cheap car that should get you from a>>>>b.
People, go buy another car if your that unhappy.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
In the year that I have owned my Focus (actually 1 year this week) I have done the following:

- Passenger front wheel bearing and front end links (approx $500)
- Driver side rear wheel bearing (approx $280, and they threw in a free brake service! :lol: )
- New front brake pads ($50, installed myself - the driver's side pad friction material actually seperated from the backing plate)
- New plug wires to fix a nasty miss (approx $75 installed)

Everything else has been regular maintenance stuff (oil changes, filters, etc.).

So, roughly $900 to own my Focus in the last year. It's a 2000 Zetec sedan with now almost 150,000 kms on it. Hopefully it won't be a bad year two with the car!

I'm not complaining, just stating the facts... :)

Ryan
Ryan and the Silver Sedan
++++++++++++++++++++++++
2008 Mazda5 GS/Copper Red Mica/2.3 MZR 5AT/22% Tint
[Image: 49951.png]
2011 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew/Race Red/3.5 TT EcoBoost
Alien-Tek,Sep 13 2006, 09: Wrote:No all that stuff is changed during regular maintenance without any incident.[right][snapback]206984[/snapback][/right]
Ok, so you admit having "maintenance costs" with the Honda. That's my point.

Quote:...and who is whining?!
Sorry, it sounded like it in your first post.

Like I said, I really don't want to bust your balls about it. But just like how Paolo has to hear about "Rogers this" and "Rogers that", I get people complaining about Ford.

Some of it warranted, some not. I think that you'd find that if you have a legitimate (or even borderline legit) gripe about Ford most of us (ie Meford and I and a few others that work there) will bend over backwards to help you out.

I had a neighbour when I first met them complaining about their Windstar not starting. That they "Wanted to drive the f'n thing into Oakville and set it on fire".

Well, I offered to help, I've been working on cars since I was 12, I'm 39 now, I owned my own car before I could drive. I know my way around a bit, having worked in 7 Ford Plants in the 18 years I have here.

So what was his issue? Well, I opened his airbox, the filter was so dirty that it had physically collapsed. The van had around 265,000 kilometers on it (it was a '95, this was '03) and it looked like it was the original filter.

When the air filter collapsed, it let all the dirt and crap through, and it plugged the sensor in his MAF.

Total cost of fix? A filter and a $0.20 shot of contact cleaner. Ran like a top.

See, just like any machine, you have to maintain it. Stuff like your ICS, or an alternator dying, yeah that can be annoying, I can understand that.

When people seem to be complaining about "normal maintenance" though, I just don't understand. I know as well as you do that every manufacturer's cars need maintenance.
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
my 2003 SVT has just over 30,000km and has had the following done to it. mostly under warrenty.

fuel filter/pump due to bad fuel think at 20,000km
that everything under warrenty

brake maintance at 25,000km
oil changes every 5,000km
wheel alignment this spring.

think the total for the year was about $500 or so.

modification that i've done, are a tune for $600 and wheels/tires for $2k.

but think the clutch is going on it, so it could be another 600 come spring on my part.
'03 Focus SVT
lets see, change my oil every 3000-400km, $60 done myself.
i check my plugs every time i change my oil, replace them around every 10-15k. $20
Serpentine belt every 10k, $35
fuel filter every 2 oil changes(6-8k), $12
clean air filter every 15k, free
intake flush every 6k, $5
fuel system flush every time i change the fuel filter, $50.
SVO PCV valve every 25k, $10
Front brakes every 20k, $150 pads & $250 for rotors(free IF i can get a cut out of them)
Just changed the LCAs with ball joints at 75k, $110 each
just changed the pinch bolts with the LCAs, 6 TTY bolts and 6 nuts, $75
Tie rod ends at 75k, $65 each.
Strut plates at 75k, $30 each.
about to change rear brakes, $75 for pads & $200 for rotors, still have 80% left, just hate the pads! EBC pads suck ass!
replaced ALT at 50k, free, had a spair new one and installed it with the PW kit even though there was nothing wrong with the current one.
Exhaust manifold gaskets every 30k, $45
coolant flush twice a year; fall: drain summer mix and refile with fresh 60%water/40%coolant; spring: drain winter mix and replace with 90%water/10%coolant + 1 bottle of water wetter.
same as above for intercooler system but with pure water and water wetter in the summer.

i don't know what you guys are complaining about... i do all this to keep from having issues and i'm happy to do it.

and all this doesn't even hold a candle to the mods that are constantly going on with this car...

Just be happy you don't own a VW/Audi, BMW or MB... parts alone on a tune up and oilchange will run you upwards for $200-400+ on most of those! You can do a tuneup yourself on a Focus for under $100 easily!
Should I post the pictures fellas?

Don;t whine to me about how many things you've had replaced on your Focus.
You're doing quite well. Now calm down.

[Image: IMG_604.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0602.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0599.jpg]
[Image: IMG_601.jpg]
Alien-Tek,Sep 13 2006, 02: Wrote:So people, what kind of work have you done, or had done, to your Focus lately. I am not talking about performance or visual modifications. I am talking over and above scheduled maintenance?

I'll start...
In the past 2 months I have:

Replaced my pcv valve. $6
Replaced my fuel filter. $11
Replaced my idle control sensor. $156.80
Performed a motor vac $180
Replaced spark plugs $25 (I think)
Front wheel alignment $60

With the exception of the wheel alignment, all work performed was for poor idling and stalling during cold starts, poor accelration and hesitation.
I will let you know tomorrow if I have the same issues, I just had the ICS changed today because after changing everything else my CEL finally decided to come on and let me know the EXACT issue... Go figure.
Chalk another one up for why I love my Focus...

:angry:

A-T.
[right][snapback]206814[/snapback][/right]
2000 ZTS. Bought it with 84,000 kms. All work done before 100,000 kms.
Replaced alternator, $150.00, 3 hours of my own labour. Anybody know an easy way to get it out?
Replaced OEM Throttle body, because my TPS was gone. Ford doesn't sell TPS, just Throttle Body ( should have repalced it with a Cosworth ) $380.00 2 hours labour.

Proud member of the CDan nation.
2000 White ZTS: retired
2012 Frosted Glass SEL: active
K&N Filter.....
OAC_Sparky,Sep 14 2006, 12:24 AM Wrote:
Alien-Tek,Sep 13 2006, 09: Wrote:No all that stuff is changed during regular maintenance without any incident.[right][snapback]206984[/snapback][/right]
Ok, so you admit having "maintenance costs" with the Honda. That's my point.

Quote:...and who is whining?!
Sorry, it sounded like it in your first post.

Like I said, I really don't want to bust your balls about it. But just like how Paolo has to hear about "Rogers this" and "Rogers that", I get people complaining about Ford.

Some of it warranted, some not. I think that you'd find that if you have a legitimate (or even borderline legit) gripe about Ford most of us (ie Meford and I and a few others that work there) will bend over backwards to help you out.

I had a neighbour when I first met them complaining about their Windstar not starting. That they "Wanted to drive the f'n thing into Oakville and set it on fire".

Well, I offered to help, I've been working on cars since I was 12, I'm 39 now, I owned my own car before I could drive. I know my way around a bit, having worked in 7 Ford Plants in the 18 years I have here.

So what was his issue? Well, I opened his airbox, the filter was so dirty that it had physically collapsed. The van had around 265,000 kilometers on it (it was a '95, this was '03) and it looked like it was the original filter.

When the air filter collapsed, it let all the dirt and crap through, and it plugged the sensor in his MAF.

Total cost of fix? A filter and a $0.20 shot of contact cleaner. Ran like a top.

See, just like any machine, you have to maintain it. Stuff like your ICS, or an alternator dying, yeah that can be annoying, I can understand that.

When people seem to be complaining about "normal maintenance" though, I just don't understand. I know as well as you do that every manufacturer's cars need maintenance.
[right][snapback]207017[/snapback][/right]

We are in agreement.
No hard feelings. I guess the issue with forums is that it becomes difficult to express emotion and everything is taken out of context.

But I agree 100%, no car company or car is perfect and if someone says it is, I would love to own it.... Wouldn't everyone? :D
ANTHONYD,Sep 14 2006, 09:04 AM Wrote:Should I post the pictures fellas?
[right][snapback]207038[/snapback][/right]

You slay me! I'm loving the Ford tablecloth!
I can't even begin to imagine what you've been through.

Definately the picture of the month.

;)
Alien-Tek,Sep 14 2006, 07: Wrote:Definately the picture of the month.[right][snapback]207141[/snapback][/right]
Yes, definitely.

For the month of June 2005.

:lol:
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
OAC_Sparky,Sep 14 2006, 10:18 PM Wrote:
Alien-Tek,Sep 14 2006, 07: Wrote:Definately the picture of the month.[right][snapback]207141[/snapback][/right]
Yes, definitely.

For the month of June 2005.

[right][snapback]207162[/snapback][/right]

You got me!

They're legendary. I keep the pictures to show all the newbies that come on here whining about how s***ty these cars are.

Regular maintenance
-Oil done every 3-5k
-Sparks plugs done every 20K (or checked)
-Tranny flaushes, Im one my 4th Scheduled one
-Fuel filter done every year
-Rad flush done every year
-Brake fluid flsuh done every year
-Power steering flush done every year
-Timing belt done at 100k
-Water pump done at 100K
-Front brakes & rotors done at 80K
-Rear brakes done at 100K

Most of this stuff was done bymyself except for the timing belt and water pump, that saved me some serious cash.

Now for the good stuff....

-Seat handle broke at 20K, replaced under warranty
-Seat handle broke again shortly after, f*** it.
-3 Wheel bearings
-Power steering pump
-Fuel sending unit
-Fuel pump (twice)
-New valve cover gasket
-front o2 sensor
-2 X Control arm brace (the part thats between the front strut and brake assembly)
-Ignition lock cylinder
-MAF wiring harness
-New wiring for the trunk release and rear wiper
-Re paint 1/4 panels due to paint flaking off (no rust here, just paint coming right off)

I'm sur theres more, but im getting depressed writing this. :lol:

Its truly a love hate relationship I have with the focus. I love driving it, hate maintaining it.

And before meford and all the ford lovers pipe up, this was pre turbo, only mods I had was a CAI and exhaust.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
01 ZX3 - Cost the dealership about 2000 in warranty work - Cost me and alternator and a harness - so 300.00 Not bad for 65,000km (13 months) minus the normal maintenence, brakes, oil etc.

03 SVT - Cost the dealership 6000+ in warranty work
Cost me 2 alternators 1 alt harness and a thermostat housing so just under 1000. Drove it 93000km in about 18 months that it was on the road.

In the end, i cant really complain about my focus... it was ford's service that drove me away from their cars. not the actual product.
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
Flofocus,Sep 15 2006, 02:17 PM Wrote:-Rad flush done every year

[right][snapback]207199[/snapback][/right]

Usually how much those cost?
2000 ZX3: KW coil-over/IceMan/FC UPD/Megaflow cat-back /energy bushing all over/Ported TB/home make ground wires

260000km and counting.....
2000 ZX3 215000KM
OIL every 8k km
PCV - 3X
COOLANT - 3X
TRANNY OIL - 4X
fuel filter - every year
brake disk/pad - 3x
tires - 5x
spark plug - 3x
light buld - nx
front sway bar linkage - 2x(broke)
suspension - 3x
rear suspension arm - 1x
air filter - 6x
timing belt - 2x
acc belt - 3x
acc belt tensioner - 2x
fuel pump - 2x

I am sure I miss something there.
2000 ZX3: KW coil-over/IceMan/FC UPD/Megaflow cat-back /energy bushing all over/Ported TB/home make ground wires

260000km and counting.....
Focus Is Art,Sep 18 2006, 05:55 PM Wrote:
Flofocus,Sep 15 2006, 02:17 PM Wrote:-Rad flush done every year

[right][snapback]207199[/snapback][/right]

Usually how much those cost?
[right][snapback]207560[/snapback][/right]

Cost of fluids, and about 1-2 hours labour depending on how many beer brakes you take. :P
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Mine's been good, I think :rolleyes:

Bought the car with a stumble.

Off the bat, replaced:
-fuel pump ($0 - recall)
-spark plugs (~$20)
-wires (~$60)
-ignition coil after it died COMPLETELY (~$200)

Problem solved.

Aside from the ignition components, replaced:
-tires (~$300)
-winter tires (~$200)
-front brakes (~$120, my own labour)
-wheel bearing (~$50 and six hours of my finest vocabulary selection)
-front flex pipe (~$100, drove through snowbank because City plowed the main road onto our side road, no other choice, City refused to pay.)
-oil every 5,000km

All this in 10,000km. I must admit, almost all of the problems were present when I bought the car, but $1000 in maintenance over the course of two years is not THAT bad.
Alien-Tek,Sep 13 2006, 01: Wrote:So people, what kind of work have you done, or had done, to your Focus lately. I am not talking about performance or visual modifications. I am talking over and above scheduled maintenance?

I'll start...
In the past 2 months I have:

Replaced my pcv valve. $6
Replaced my fuel filter. $11
Replaced my idle control sensor. $156.80
Performed a motor vac $180
Replaced spark plugs $25 (I think)
Front wheel alignment $60

With the exception of the wheel alignment, all work performed was for poor idling and stalling during cold starts, poor accelration and hesitation.
I will let you know tomorrow if I have the same issues, I just had the ICS changed today because after changing everything else my CEL finally decided to come on and let me know the EXACT issue... Go figure.
Chalk another one up for why I love my Focus...

:angry:

A-T.
[right][snapback]206814[/snapback][/right]

You think that's rough try owning an English car some day.

Laterz :)
1972 Austin Mini | 1989 Mini30 | 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS